Something isnt adding up

AsleepAtTheTree

Registered
So last night, me and a couple guys did our normal riding test/tuning whatever...my bike is supposedly stock besides yosh slipons, but 2 of the other guys have a gen1 that both have full exhaust, tune and geared, 1st guy(16/43) 2nd guy(42rear)

These guys have been riding for yrs, rider error is pretty much out the question for the most part

Now...from a 40 roll, 1mile topside race, we all are pretty much neck and neck until I hit 5th gear and I pull away 2-3 lengths

Now...Im not the smartest person in the world but I'm pretty certain this shouldn't be the case with a stock bike...same scenario with multiple races

Either my bike is definitely not stock, or something is definitely wrong with BOTH of theirs

There's also a zx14 that has full exhaust, tune and geared 16/43 that runs circles around all of the three, which makes sense to me in a way

Now of course ppl can lie and sandbag but I'm sure this is not the case, we run these bikes all the time

Haven't made it to the dyno yet bc in a way it was pointless under the assumption its a stock bike, but its in the workings for sure now that this is going on

plz chime in with ur opinions about this situation
Thank you

The difference is in the gearing . . yours is stock and theirs is geared down lower than yours.
When you change to 5th gear you are at a different point in your engine's torque curve, than they are. It must be such that your bike has the edge on them in acceleration. I can not think of any other reason.
Just my opinion.

Thats jus the thing, I do have the edge in acceleration, but according to gearing therory that shouldnt be the case tho, especially since given their upgrades and me having a supposed stock bike

From my knowledge, if identical bikes placed in the same environment, if one is stock and the other geared lower, the lower geared bike should jump out in front and the stock geared bike has to play catch up for the win at the end

But we are neck and neck from a 40 roll till my 5th gear and I pull away, never once do I have to play catch up, I'm pretty much out front the whole time

Stock bike shouldn't be able to pull and carry a geared bike plus pipe and tune... Doesnt make sence :banghead:

Last edited:
Thats jus the thing, I do have the edge in acceleration, but according to gearing therory that shouldnt be the case tho, especially since given their upgrades and me having a supposed stock bike

From my knowledge, if identical bikes placed in the same environment, if one is stock and the other geared lower, the lower geared bike should jump out in front and the stock geared bike has to play catch up for the win at the end

But we are neck and neck from a 40 roll till my 5th gear and I pull away, never once do I have to play catch up, I'm pretty much out front the whole time

Stock bike shouldn't be able to pull and carry a geared bike plus pipe and tune... Doesnt make sence idk:banghead:
GET IT DYNOED.... see for sure... what state are u in

Stock bike shouldn't be able to pull and carry a geared bike plus pipe and tune... Doesnt make sence :banghead:
Don't bother wasting coin on dyno. Your friends basically have stock bikes too from what you listed. The stock gearing is hard to beat & since this is a roll on your bike gearing is much happier with the 17/40 once you get into it; while 16/43 is good for down low around town or 1/4 mile drag. The equivalent for your bike would be running 17/46 tooth. Yes they are cutting their top end by 5 to 6 teeth.

Opinions ;) you do know a stock gen 2 makes about 172 to 175 rwhp while gen 1 is
Typically low 160's. Aerodynamics were improved on gen 2.
What size riders? Tall or short? So many variables to consider you have not listed
:)

Don't bother wasting coin on dyno. Your friends basically have stock bikes too from what you listed. The stock gearing is hard to beat & since this is a roll on your bike gearing is much happier with the 17/40 once you get into it; while 16/43 is good for down low around town or 1/4 mile drag. The equivalent for your bike would be running 17/46 tooth. Yes they are cutting their top end by 5 to 6 teeth.

That makes sense, I can see that playing a part, but still we shouldnt be neck to neck till my 5th gear, I would think I should have to play catch up and mph them to the end of the mile

If that be it the case then I should be able to run 16/43 and dominate those guys, the goal is a 1/4mile bike

Its jus hard for me to believe that a stock gen1 against a geared full exhaust tuned gen1 would come anywhere near close to performing the same down track

Last edited:
Opinions ;) you do know a stock gen 2 makes about 172 to 175 rwhp while gen 1 is
Typically low 160's. Aerodynamics were improved on gen 2.
What size riders? Tall or short? So many variables to consider you have not listed
:)
No all three bikes I'm talking about are gen1

I wouldn't be having this conversation if it were against a gen2

Give or take 10 or 20 pounds, we all about the same size, they run shinko 190/50 I run a 200/55(don't ask lol), which i must say adds to my stock gearing ratio also, they both stretched 10"+ I'm stock wheelbase, dry pavement, no hills flat road, raced three wide on the interstate

Last edited:
No all three bikes I'm talking about are gen1

I wouldn't be having this conversation if it were against a gen2

Give or take 10 or 20 pounds, we all about the same size, they run shinko 190/50 I run a 200/55(don't ask lol), which i must say adds to my stock gearing ratio also, they both stretched 10"+ I'm stock wheelbase, dry pavement, no hills flat road, raced three wide on the interstate
Gear + 55 rear tire also in your favor. Just remember gearing is a trade off in one way or another just like ring & pinion on a car. I am using the car for hwy, drag strip 8th or 1/4mile, land speed, Nascar what ever the intended use is I am willing to give up this to do that.

Gear + 55 rear tire also in your favor. Just remember gearing is a trade off in one way or another just like ring & pinion on a car. I am using the car for hwy, drag strip 8th or 1/4mile, land speed, Nascar what ever the intended use is I am willing to give up this to do that.
I don't have any gear tho, supposed stock gen1 with yosh slipons, so with the 55 tire I'm even higher in gear ratio than stock lol I shouldn't be out front of these guys with low gears and full exhaust tuned bikes lol

A plus 10 inch stretch added 5 pounds of rotation mass via chain.
With a junk Stinko tire @ 10 over on street they may have some weheel spin affecting acceleration.
Factor in their clutch condition.
Well that makes sense...hhmmm

The zx14 I mentioned runs a shinko and runs circles round us three with a tuned full brocks 16/43, rider weight bout 190-200 compared to our 250-280

But clutch wear does play its part
Didnt think about chain mass either

I don't have any gear tho, supposed stock gen1 with yosh slipons, so with the 55 tire I'm even higher in gear ratio than stock lol I shouldn't be out front of these guys with low gears and full exhaust tuned bikes lol
Here you go then. If they like wheelies, going around town or light to light better set up than yours. From a dig they will take you no doubt. But at 40mph your set up with a taller tire and stock gearing shines bright & is just getting going (longer legs picture a runner with long strides against one with shorter stride). Stock in this case does not mean bad. the Gen 1 & Gen 2 have nearly the same numerical gearing & Suzuki did not do that by chance. They did a lot of research & selected this final drive ratio combination is a do all well kind thing; a fair balance between everything a street bike could be asked to do while not being to extreme one direction or another like a stunt bike with a 60 tooth rear sprocket or larger. Cool in the parking lot but not anywhere else on the limiter at 50-60mph. Did not see the 10" stretch that brings in tire width is it regular a 240, 300, 330 or 360 tire they are sporting which is weight and possibly a JACK SHAFT which all robs HP like the Grinch on X-Mass so not Apples to Apples if that's what they have. Like I said trade off looks over speed, handling, & HP.

Good question Im not sure

Honestly I didnt know there was two motor sizes with the 14...hmmm I'm gonna have to pick his brain about that

Lucy you have some splaining to do. Just kidding this is the silly hour if you work nights. Hey have fun with your bike & gearing can be trial and error. Many of us have multiple sets of sprockets for different types of riding or things we enjoy or want to do now and again or even gas mileage.

Back