Something happened while on the dyno

5280Busa

Registered
Well, as luck would have it...something happened on the dyno today after the third run. I think I have a boost leak and had a nice lean spike but I think I might have done more...the coolant overflow bottle was full right after the run...before the pull it was on the "low" mark...obviously something put pressure in the cooling system.

I guess my question is how can you tell if you have blown a head gasket or melted the stock pistons? Is there something you can do other than tearing it apart to tell?

Also, if I "popped" a boost hose what could have happened to the turbo...how do I check to see that the turbo itself is ok?

Thanks in advance!

BTW..I was using Sunoco 100 Octane for the runs

-Scott

i have the tools at the delaership scott. can you bring the bike to the dealer ship? if not we can get together on saturday & take it to the dealer ship & take it from there. how is your saturday looking?

sorry, i typed too fast & didn't tell you what we have to do.
we need to perform compression check & then leak down test. that will tell us what really happen. sorry to hear that bro.

Jake,

It's still at TK's...to be honest I 'm not impressed with the way they ran it on the dyno...The Motorhead thinks it's fine but I want to be absolutely sure. I was going to have TK look into the head gasket issue if there wasn't any other way for me to tell on the outside.

What are your thoughts?

i am having dinner, i will call you in 20 minutes
biggrin.gif

sorry, i typed too fast & didn't tell you what we have to do.
we need to perform compression check & then leak down test. that will tell us what really happen. sorry to hear that bro.
you can perform all those tests, but if you filled your coolant reservoir in one dyno run, you have a blown head gasket, end of story.

Dude, sorry to hear about the bike...what a drag. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you and Jake if you need it.

So what is the story with TK's? I was planning on getting my bike mapped there after I get a pipe...

Ouch sorry to hear your troubles. A few things could have happeneded, however I will wait for you to post.

I am working things out with the manufacturer...hopefully they will help with the turbo rebuild. While the head is off I am going to install MTC turbo pistons and HD pins, APE HD valve springs, and maybe retainers...hopefully all of this and a remap will prevent further blow-ups

Once I have the forensics in on what happened I will post details and pics.

-S

Forgot to mention...TK didn't charge me for the dyno since I greneaded my bike on it....however, always remember to tell the dyno operator to let a turbo bike cool somewhat before each run...TK ran 3 runs back-to-back which I am positive contributed to the failure somewhat...It's your bike, it's your $$$, make sure they know what they are doing!

I am working things out with the manufacturer...hopefully they will help with the turbo rebuild. While the head is off I am going to install MTC turbo pistons and HD pins, APE HD valve springs, and maybe retainers...hopefully all of this and a remap will prevent further blow-ups

Once I have the forensics in on what happened I will post details and pics.

-S
If you are going through this much pain, get J&E pistons, my MTCs are toast and the J&E look much btter... spend a few extra dollars and get the good stuff... MTC sux.

5280 Busa Hope you get things fixed. I was there that day picking up my bike. I will try to come down for a ride sometime.

Back