Something doesn't seem right.

Pinky Winky

Donating Member
Registered
Ok Ive finished the rearend on the busa and it doesnt feel any faster. Not cool! So Its a stock 04 with only a TRE and straight pipes. I'm 2 1/2" \ 4" drop with Gixx1300r's extentions set at around 6 1/4". By the way these are awsome extentions but ill start a new thread for that. And i'm 16/44 on the sprockets. The only thing i get is its quick but the gears run out too soon and it doesnt throw me back like it used to. And it wont come up for nothing. Im not talking about wheelies but it doesnt feel like the front forks even decompress. I dont think I'm spinning the tire due to no marks. Oh and the gas mileage is horrible but its only a track bike. Any comments.

I just stretched mine last week to 4" over. It does stop a lot of wheelies, so it either spins or hooks up. I put a 17/47 combo on which is similar to yours. I only have slip ons and clutch mod and ran a 10.11 with a missed shift. it will run 9.90's in that configuration. Oh and with a 36 jet on dry nitrous 10.75 @ 145mph. So it won't feel as fast because you shift quicker, but for 1/4 mile you want to use everything in that distance. You might be stretched a little far if you are stock,on old posts they reccommend around 4" max

my guess is you went overboard on the gearing... you need to utilize the torque curve of this motor.. bigger motors work better with higher gears than smaller hi rev motors.. Put the 17 back on the front or step the rear down to a 42 or so...

My guess is you are right, you are actually going slower..

Well I went with these gears for the 1/8th but it shouldnt be going slower by any means, it should be a rocket. Im used to building cars for the 1/4 not bikes but the physics are the same this just doesnt feel right. I need to find out if im spinning and what my actual speed is now since to speedo is useless now. That might help me to know if im quicker or slower. Oh and I dont recomend a 4" drop on the rear of a busa for the street. I think about 1/8th of the trunk is missing from bottoming out. Looks cool but......yeah. Im trying to stiffin the rear shock. Ive spun that little ring around 5 full rotations but its still spongy as hell. anything i can do about that?

You need a sticky tire. Get a Shinko Ultra soft. It'll grip alot more and wear better than the regular soft version. Don't know why it wears better but it does. Put a 42 out back and the bike will run better. Maybe even the stock rear sprocket. Don't be afraid to try different combo's. The logical setup is not always the quickest.

the idea about the "over gear"...

in order to use the shorter gears on a car, you need the motor to "wrap" faster and so we put in taller cams.. This reduces low end torque to some extent but the engine winds up faster.. We then get a taller gear ratio to utilize the quicker engine response..

think about a 500ci diesel motor on a 4.11 gear vs say a 3.08.. it will be quicker/faster on the 3.08 gear because the motor winds up more slowly but with more torque..

I would not be at all surprised that the busa is suffering from this same anomaly..

to check for tire slippage, just put a white stripe on the tire sidewall like you see on the drag cars and have someone video tape the run.. the stripe will be a blur if it is spinning (it is moving at 0 mph at the bottom of rotation so should be clearly visible)

I know what your sayin Bogus. I just started with this setup since alot ot ppl are using 16/43 on the street and say they are a good combo.

Back