Someone check my sanity on ebay item please...

CAT3

Donating Member
Registered
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-YZF-R1-R6-Performance-Chip-02-03-04-05-06-07_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ107070QQihZ
009QQitemZ190061281376QQrdZ1" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....6QQrdZ1</a>

One of the guys I ride with calls me asking about a "chip" that gets wired in-line and supposed to add 25+hp...I instantly raise the BS flag. Hell PCIII wont even give you 20hp unless your bike is really jacked up and tuned Lean is Mean! So, I ask him for the link above, and wow, couldn't even imagine someone actually buying this thing, let alone expecting any performance gains out it. Feedback number 1,400 or whatever, went something like this : didnt notice any gains in the bike, neither did my brother! WTF?

SCAM
all_coholic.gif

I can definatively tell you this is a scam.

The chip inside that box is a dip-type computer chip, but every one I've ever worked with would need at least a power and ground connection in addition to whatever data/control wires are running into it. That chip has only two wires connected to it, which means it can't possibly be doing any processing, which means it can't be doing ANYTHING.

(bitabur @ Dec. 10 2006,18:29) I can definatively tell you this is a scam.

The chip inside that box is a dip-type computer chip, but every one I've ever worked with would need at least a power and ground connection in addition to whatever data/control wires are running into it. That chip has only two wires connected to it, which means it can't possibly be doing any processing, which means it can't be doing ANYTHING.
I know exactly what your saying. I've been tapping into OBD-II PCM's for a few years now and dealt with "chips" and other things, but this one was just WTF? I shot my buddy the link to this thread, not that he doubts me, but he does appreciate confirmation whenever possible. Thanks.

You can trust my word on this one... I'm a computer engineer, and I know that chip isn't connected in a way that allows it to function.

This "chip" is just a simple resistor that tells the ecm that the air temp inside the intake duct is colder than actual and thus the ecm gives the signal for more fuel. The usual way this is done is with a thermistor in the area of the MAF sensor, it will change its resistance along a linear scale with temp fluctuations to ensure a proper Air / fuel mixture, this "chip" resistor will make the car think its way cold outside, maybe 1 or 2 hp at the most.

I didn't check the link but this sounds like it.

Four eyes probably just got done reading a cycle trader for the first time that somebody accidently delivered to his house instead of geek magazine and decided to try and sell some spare computer parts he had laying around as performance mods. What a piece of s#$%!!!
firedevil.gif
guns.gif
rant.gif

go ahead and talk smack Im buying 4 of them (100hp) and will smoke all you fools
jump9.gif
just playing there is way to much crap out there people scaming to make a buck
guns.gif

(dinoap @ Dec. 10 2006,19:52) This "chip" is just a simple resistor that tells the ecm that the air temp inside the intake duct is colder than actual and thus the ecm gives the signal for more fuel. The usual way this is done is with a thermistor in the area of the MAF sensor, it will change its resistance along a linear scale with temp fluctuations to ensure a proper Air / fuel mixture, this "chip" resistor will make the car think its way cold outside, maybe 1 or 2 hp at the most.

I didn't check the link but this sounds like it.
I used the resistor trick for a "cheap nitrous tune" in my Camaro. Reprogram the PCM fuel & spark to the registered temp....works well for that application. Dangerous though when you start talking about leaning a car out, which what normally happens with applications like this... oh well. Kid took my opinion on this and called it good, thankfully.

Check his feedback out, he has one where someone bought that part and it made his car stall, so the guy just offered to buy it back, THIS is the best one, check out this negative feedback down the page, this is what it reads

Accepted payment,arranged shipping,backed out,filed false dispute of payment
Buyer kokopah( 1 ) Dec-08-06 21:25 190057200850
Reply by blackboxcarputers: Sorry for the mistake, for hte last time, I can't sell you $100 phone for $17!
Here is the auction, what a scammer.

ebay is a world of sharks you can get eaten up very quick if you jump in among them.

Back