Somebody just made a BIG mistake...

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
And picked the wrong doorbell to ring as a prank in the middle of the night...

About 10:30, my wife and I were going upstairs to bed (luckily, my daughter was across the street at the neighbors spending the night) when I see a pickup truck in the street stopped in front of the house. Suddenly, a teenager gets out and starts running towards my front door, so I run down the steps to 'greet' him. I was a foot from the door when he hit the doorbell and ran, with me right out the door after him. I think he was a little surprised when somebody faster than what he expected came right out the door behind him. As soon as his buddies in the truck saw what was happening, they took off down the street, with the kid following, and me about 30 feet behind on his tail.

He had shoes. I was barefoot. I ran him through the yard, and down the street. I ran him so fast he ran out of both his tennis shoes (which I now have proudly displayed hanging on my front porch). The truck made a corner and stopped; I was about 15 feet from him when he jumped in the back of the truck and they drove off. Not close enough for a tag number, but a very good description. I watch the truck - instead of going out of the neighborhood and hightailing it out of here, I see them circle thru the neighborhood.

My wife calls the police. We live in a small town with the county sherrif spread pretty thin. The tell her it may be awhile before they get here.

Here's where it gets fun. In the meantime, I catch my breath, get some shoes on, and slip back outside in the shadows. I also put my shotgun just inside the door. Sure enough, about 10 minutes later, a red Ford Taurus, drives back and forth suspiciously up the street. It stops where I confiscated the shoes, and some teens get out of the car and start looking. I started to run after them again, but the car was facing my way and would have to come right by me in my hidey spot (I wanted a tag #). When the car started to come up the street, I stepped out of my hide spot and authoritatively made the stop signal. The car stopped; I walked behind the car to come around (and got the tag #) and went up to the driver, a woman who appeared to be about 30. She says "Can I have the shoes" and I told her just to "pull on into the driveway and we could have a nice chat once the police get here". She says, "I'm not going to do that, and starts to drive away; I said "fine, because now I have YOUR tag number, too".

About a half hour later the Sherriff's deputy shows up. I give him the info, he runs the tag, and sure enough, the Red Taurus is registered about 2 streets away. The Deputy is going to go over and have a talk with the parents. He asks me about the shoes; by this time I've calmed down some and I tell the Deputy that if they come over tomorrow during daylight, and we have a little talk, he can have his shoes back.

The deputy comes back about a half hour later. The MOM was the one who was driving the car to find the shoes (and, SHE was the one that also did the un-adult thing and drove off - kids raising kids). The kid was from another town who was here with some friends. The lady's daughter was the reason these boys were up here, and they immediately took off. The deputy has the young man's number and is going to call and talk to him about what could have easily happened.

I'll bet that kid shait his pants when he hit that doorbell and I was about 3 feet behind him; I doubt he suspected that the 'old man' who lived there can still run 2 miles in around 18 minutes. And then his 'buds' left him hanging...:laugh:

Now, either one or two things are gonna happen. The mom is gonna 'man up' or if she has a husband, he and I can talk this out, and nobody is ever gonna do that to my house again. OR, this is going to be a challenge and they are gonna be back...Instead of a shotgun, I think I'll leave my paintball gun by the front door for the next couple months.....

I think I'll go up and have a talk with the 'parent' tomorrow....

Last edited:
Glad you were able to take care of business. Crap like that will just piss you off to no end. Personally, I'm a huge supporter of the Castle Doctrine. Maybe those kids need a lesson about what that could mean for them.

Hmm... Salt rock always helps. I got shot in the butt with that while riding dirt bikes on a old mans property when I was a teenager. OMG did that sting! You probably scared the hell out of that kid when you came flying out of the house! haha

I might not be 17 anymore, but I still got some gas left when I need it!

I think my legs are gonna be sore in the morning!

Haha... Take some Tylenol before you go to bed. You should really do your stretches next time before chasing kids down the street. :rulez:

Last time this Happened I Found out it was Illegal to Shoot a Firearm on a Public Street without a Permit :shocked:

Some kids did the same thing to me a few nights ago. I did not, however, see them coming OR get to the door fast enough, but they can be glad I didn't. . . I already had have a little "chat" with some kids down the street for hangin out in my yard at 2:30am. I was on the busa one night comin home and when I turned on my street I saw 4 or 5 teenagers scramble in my front yard and hide behind my cars (they obviously didn't know I was on my way to the house they were at). I get a little closer and they all take off down the street. I follow them 2 houses up and they ran between 2 houses. I circled around the culdesac and pointed the HID between the 2 houses. I didn't see em so I went back, parked the busa, took the helmet off, but left the jacket and the gloves with carbon fiber knuckles on. Walked between the houses and looked to my left to see the kids standing behind the fence. I looked at the oldest looking guy and said "What the hell are y'all doin in my yard at 2:30 in the morning?!" To which I get the reply "We weren't in your yard." I said, "That's bull****! You think I'm blind?! I watched you all run and duck down behind my cars and then run when I got closer. So I'm gonna ask you again. . . What were you doin in my yard?" "We weren't doing anything." So I asked "If you weren't doing anything than why'd you hide and then run?" He said "We thought you were the cops." I found this statement very interesting because they'd only be worried about cops if they were doing something wrong. So I said, "Well if you weren't doing anything wrong then why would it matter if I was a cop?" I almost laughed when he replied with "We thought you might tell our parents we were out." The youngest one had to be about 16 or 17. . . I could tell I wasn't gonna get anywhere with this conversation so I ended it with, "Well you just better be glad I didn't find anything wrong at my house, but don't you EVER let me catch you in my yard at 2am again!" And turned around and went home.

That is freakin awesome. I can't stop laughing that his friends just left'em... DAMMMMnnnnn... With friends like that,

minibugs.gif

mickey2.gif

urtheman.gif

Hey Old Man, you are tougher than you look! :thumbsup:

That is a funny story. If I were a teenager, I'd retalliate with pooping in a paper bag, place it in front of your door, light it on fire, ring the doorbell and watch you stomp it out with your bare feet from a distance :rofl:

You have to be careful about things like that. Way to many kids nowdays are armed and things can get serious quickly.

I did something like that about 25 years ago when a guy snatched the purse off my dates arm and ran. He got a hundred foot jump on me by the time I figured out what was up. I chased that little turd for about ten blocks and gradually got within about ten feet. He kept looking over his shoulder at me now and then as I closed the gap. This was downtown Seattle. Like you, I was breathing fire and couldn't wait to get my hands on him when he turned up a dark alley. By this time good judgment had restored itself and I promptly let him go. Cops picked him up a few days later with her credit cards and check book in his possession.

Please fill us in on the fate of the tennis shoes. I'm interested to know what the parents have to say and how old the racer kid is?

Don't be to hard on them. We were kids once too, you know! :whistle:

Big Mistake was not making sure those shoes were tied up tight.:laugh:

oh great you have 2 (read them 2!) gopro's and you were not wearing one? some kind of daredevil you turned out to be.. :rofl: Hey if you move to the city? dont be chasing kids.. they shoot back now.. :laugh:

:laugh: I know that stuff pisses people off to no end. Fences an mans best friend are worth their weight in gold :laugh:

"You are not going to knock and run this place anymore, by god!".....:laugh:

:rofl: I use to love doorbell ditch but then again I never had someone come out after me. :cheerleader: I'm sure they won't be back. :beerchug:

Back