Some Turbo Related questions...

CAT3

Donating Member
Registered
Looking into a turbo setup for my Busa. I'm liking one kit in particular, will wait to see how the install on a buddies goes first. But, reading the issues in here, have some questions..

1. Anyone have their exhaust manifold thermal coated? Yeah I know its SS, or most are, but thermal coating keeps heat inside the pipes, where a turbo wants it for exhaust gas velocity, but the engine area keeps from overheating....dryrotting vacuum lines etc..

2. Anyone using a turbo blanket? Havent seen any pics of this, but I know they can also help keep the heat inside the turbo not around the engine area.

3. Anyone experiencing manifolds cracking? I have seen when using one grade of SS over another (sorry cant recall which 304 etc..) there is a propensity to crack from the expansion and cooling cycles vs. the fragility of the grade of SS. Inconel would be my option if available, and will check on it when I'm ready to order.

4. If retaining the stock oil cooler, can the inlet be run to the turbo, then from the turbo into the oil cooler? Or is it necessary to have the drain back tapped into the oil pan?

5. Anyone using methanol or propane injection for cooling and fuel enrichment? In place of an IC which most seem to block required airflow to the radiator, thinking using Meth or propane for cooling, which a bonus is the added octane provided, so its a win win. I've seen most kits have a water injection option, good for reducing temps, but doesn't add octane. I dont like the idea of running race gas or additives for daily rider for the occasional/accidental higher boost when a simple autostaged alky or propane could do the job.

I'm not looking to set records or anything, and really not sure a turbo Busa is what I need to be riding vs. my liking of the twisties etc..but I'll figure that part out.
Thanks for the input.

Charlie

1. Not Me
2. Not Me
3. Not Yet
4. Try PMing Gary Evans for his opinion
5. Not Me

Once you go boost, you will never be satisfied with anything less.

1: yes, but mild steel, hpc extreme , stops lots of radiant heat.
2:No Hpc coated too
3: not yet over 4 yrs on 3 bikes, cracked car headers before but there is way more heat involved
4:NO, do not do this! turbo requires gravity drainage with no backpressure , bring your oil straight from a pressure gallery and put it back to the sump with a 1/2 " or better return .
5: No , first question to ask in this area is am i making enough heat to need a ......
How much boost are you wanting to run?

Thanks to both of you...

OZ.. I only plan on running 5-6psi, and I know the heat portion will mostly be an issue when at that level of boost, as normal cruising wont be working the turbo etc. to generate the heat, but thought I'd ask. Of course, like Nitrous (which my Camaro was addicted to severely) I know boost is addictive, so I imagine sometime after the first ride or two I'll be looking for upgraded housings, etc...
On the cracking, I too have had the problems of hanging a 90mm turbo off a SS header only to have it crack, even supported etc.. just too much heat trapped under the hood I guess. Again, thanks.

Charlie

1. No. I wouldn't either. Save the money to put towards other mods such as a second fan if heat becomes an issue.

2. No and I wouldn't even consider going this route and risk damaging the turbo from exccesive heat buildup.

3. I wouldn't worry about this one if you buy from a reputable dealer. If they are stand up dealers they will stand behind thier product if it does crack on you. A good tune from a professional that knows what they are doing will go a long way in preventing this one from happening.

4. No you can not do this. You will have way to much oil going to the turbo and end up pushing past the seals. You'd be surprised at how little oil flow a turbo needs especially a dual ball bearing turbo.

5. You would be playing with fire with this one. You need an accurate and reliable way to control fuel at different RPM's under boost and this method you are describing would end up in a ventilated case. Go with an intercooler if your budget allows or water injection if your tight on cash.

If you keep the boost low, you can have a very fun low maintenence street ride. But be warned. Boost is very addictive and you will most likely want more down the road so plan the build accordingly.

Back