Some help on buying a Gen 2

hayabusanator

Registered
Ok so I have 2 gen 2s I'm looking at. One is a very very clean, looks like it just came off the showroom, 2009 hayabusa the stock silver color, the bikes completely stock minus a full Yoshi exhaust. It has 4400 miles. The other is 2013 stock white paint, completely stock minus slip on m4 exhaust, it has 10,030 miles. It's a very clean bike as well, however it's not showroom quality like the 2009. That's not to say it's not a very clean bike. They are both 7k and both have no issues what's so ever. I'm really just looking for opinions and which way to go. And is there a major difference in the 2? Will they both hold there value about the same? Thanks for any suggestions.

Much better brakes (Brembo calipers) and ABS on the 2013 model. Also, all of the seals in the brakes, suspension, clutch, engine, etc. are going to be in better shape and won't need to be replaced. Where as, the 2009 will be needing all of this done if not already done so.

However, as @RedBull has said, that Yosh system makes the 09 attractive, but I'd have to agree with the other posts here: newer model. Are you looking to re-mod the bike? Flip? Or just enjoy it as is? And, all things being equal, I would think a newer model would have a slightly higher (and longer) market value in re resale.

I faced a similar dilemma: a '12, modded, with 12k mi, or a '14 with 10k. I chose the '14 only to find mods had indeed been performed - I just wasn't educated enough. Stay educated. You can also run the VIN through a service (here in CA at least) and learn how many times the bike title has transferred. And where: Through this process, I eventually learned the '14 had sat in an auction lot in AZ for nearly a year before the dealer I bought it from snatched it up. FYI. GLWP.

@hayabusanator If it were me, I'd go for the bike with lower miles and the more expensive mod already done...a full exhaust isn't cheap and you can get factory Brembos pretty cheaply-then you can change out the brake lines.

4400 miles is barely broke in...I'd be all over that bike. The newer bike will need more maintenance as it has more miles and who knows how those miles were-it could have spent half of them in the red line zone...?

I wouldn't be too all fired worried about seals and such...maintenance is maintenance...

@hayabusanator If it were me, I'd go for the bike with lower miles and the more expensive mod already done...a full exhaust isn't cheap and you can get factory Brembos pretty cheaply-then you can change out the brake lines.

4400 miles is barely broke in...I'd be all over that bike. The newer bike will need more maintenance as it has more miles and who knows how those miles were-it could have spent half of them in the red line zone...?

I wouldn't be too all fired worried about seals and such...maintenance is maintenance...
I agree and not to mention that 09 paint scheme is my 2nd fav thus far. Unless the ABS is important to him I’d go 09

That's my dilemma... The 09 color is sick, and the bike only has 4k miles, this bike looks like its never been on the road. I couldn't find 1 surface scratch on it and has all the factory stickers still attached even.. is the upgraded brakes on the 2013 something I could upgrade on the 09?

7 k down on a new Busa ;) payment would be about 190 a month . I put 6600 down on my new bike in 2015 @ 12994 out the door .
Paid it off in 2 years . Looked @ a few used bikes ,but just did not feel the savings was worth the possibility of inheriting someone else's problem child with a clean cover .

That's my dilemma... The 09 color is sick, and the bike only has 4k miles, this bike looks like its never been on the road. I couldn't find 1 surface scratch on it and has all the factory stickers still attached even.. is the upgraded brakes on the 2013 something I could upgrade on the 09?

You can upgrade to Brembo brakes as my bike is an '09 with Brembo brakes and MC.

Like I said, the '09 is the clear choice...there is no big rush to upgrade the brakes either, many on here run the factory pre '13 brakes and have no issues.

Bryan ( @c10 ) took his ABS off and has had zero issues stopping without them....I have never had ABS on a bike and have never crashed one yet.

Reactions: c10
What color

Back