Soleimani and the Middle East

What happens next?
I'd say they had better sharpen their bayonets...the Middle East is a powder keg just awaiting a spark and the killing of the Iranian general just might be the one...of course there's Iran sticking their nose in Iraq.

Invading and conquering Iran is the easy part, sorting the mess out afterwards is the issue-look at Iraq for that, the coalition wiped out the Iraqi military in short order and have been trying to get the country in order ever since.

Last edited:
I think we might see terror increase around the western world. A frontal assult is silly against us. Sawoil up $3 a barrel already. God forbib if they have another 9-11 already setup and waiting to execute. Hold on to your hats as Trump is planning some serious dog wagging running up to the election!

I think we might see terror increase around the western world. A frontal assult is silly against us. Sawoil up $3 a barrel already. God forbib if they have another 9-11 already setup and waiting to execute. Hold on to your hats as Trump is planning some serious dog wagging running up to the election!

From all I read, they have been after this general for many years-back to the Bush Jr administration.

Apparently he has been the architect of deaths of many US soldiers.

The iran announced yesterday serious and "horrible" retaliation. They want to "wait" but it will come...

What ever that means- nobody really knows.

My first guess would be terror as mentioned above... second guess- we will have a 2nd Gulf war. (hopefully they leave their fingers of the A-bomb button.)!

The challenge here is while we were negotiating with Iran under the old administration and after we made a deal, Soleimani continued building up proxy forces and attacking allies as well as Americans all over the place. Then, very smart, built up relations with Iraq.

Now we have a situation where we have a divide in Iraq, some support Iran, some don't, but the leadership is in bed with Iran. The proxy forces will fight immorally, killing innocent civilians through terrorist acts, while we have to respond with following moral rules. If a proxy attacks, Iran claims innocence. Not an easy time ahead of us.

The Sunni influence has an ideal opportunity now to come back into a divided Iraq and cause chaos. This includes ISIS.

The big issue is we do not have a strategy and this can continue for years and years.

I believe the only solution eventually will be to remove the Iran regime from power, either by force or by propaganda and sanctions.

The start of all of this was when we removed Saddam Hussein. He kept Iran in check.

I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel right now.

Last edited:
The iran announced yesterday serious and "horrible" retaliation. They want to "wait" but it will come...

What ever that means- nobody really knows.

My first guess would be terror as mentioned above... second guess- we will have a 2nd Gulf war. (hopefully they leave their fingers of the A-bomb button.)!
Apparently Iran isn't ready with nukes yet.

Most likely Iran will sanction attacks against western targets through proxy.

You definitely don't want to be a western tourist anywhere near the middle east right now.

You definitely don't want to be a western tourist anywhere near the middle east right now.
Let's hope you are right!

Problem is there are lots of Americans in key jobs working in the Middle East.

We already tried regime change. That's what caused the bad relations in the first place. Its funny but we westerners have never realized that the boundaries we drew in that part of the world are our boundaries not theirs. We try to fight wars in this or that country and they kind of do whatever they want. It's all hopelessly messed up now.

I'm not totally against what Trump did even if he went about it the wrong way. They let those protesters threaten the embassy and that just doesn't fly. But there are a lot of people he put in jeopardy because he can't seem to realize he has to collaborate with someone. But I don't know, maybe he has the right idea. We'll soon see.

Personally, I think we should get off our addiction to fossil fuels and just leave that place to them to do as they wish. It's just not constructive anymore.

We already tried regime change. That's what caused the bad relations in the first place. Its funny but we westerners have never realized that the boundaries we drew in that part of the world are our boundaries not theirs. We try to fight wars in this or that country and they kind of do whatever they want. It's all hopelessly messed up now.

I'm not totally against what Trump did even if he went about it the wrong way. They let those protesters threaten the embassy and that just doesn't fly. But there are a lot of people he put in jeopardy because he can't seem to realize he has to collaborate with someone. But I don't know, maybe he has the right idea. We'll soon see.

Personally, I think we should get off our addiction to fossil fuels and just leave that place to them to do as they wish. It's just not constructive anymore.
I was talking about Regime change in Iran. Not sure about your definition of boundaries, but if it means trying to implement our democracy rules, and Western culture, yes that will never ever work.

Problem is there are lots of Americans in key jobs working in the Middle East.
I'd imagine their government will be sorting out ways to protect them. Warnings have been issued so hopefully those Americans working in unsecure areas heed those warnings.

Anyone’s guess as to what happens next - let’s hope Iran pulls any assets back home and lays low. As for others in the neighbourhood we can always wish for the same, just don’t hold your breath....

There have been bad relations in the middle east between westerners and middle easterners for many years, this is just another episode in that saga.

Apparently strike teams have had Soleimani in their sights several times but were told to not engage...I guess the time came to engage.

The US is pouring a few thousand additional troops into the area just in case.

I was talking about Regime change in Iran. Not sure about your definition of boundaries, but if it means trying to implement our democracy rules, and Western culture, yes that will never ever work.
I was referring to removing the legally elected leadership in Iran and installing our Shaw. That's what lead to the revolution and the hostage situation in 79 or so.

Quick story regarding that particular “hostage situation” years ago - my dads “ID” documents, passport and relevant work history etc. were modified / loaned to the RCMP and carried to the Canadian embassy during this incident. I was younger at the time but apparently his ID was used to get one person back to Canada (and then back to his native American home). An appreciative RCMP plaque hung on the wall for years but no idea where it is now since he passed. He / we are always glad to assist any of our good friends to the south !

Last edited:
I was referring to removing the legally elected leadership in Iran and installing our Shaw. That's what lead to the revolution and the hostage situation in 79 or so.
In 79 I was happily living in a different country, so my American history may not be on par with yours.

Not sure what an American “Shaw” is or might be?

Mohammad Reza was the Shah, under his reign 2500 years of Persian monarchy was continued. The US and the UK supported him, but he was not installed by either.

In 79 I was happily living in a different country, so my American history may not be on par with yours.

Not sure what an American “Shaw” is or might be?

Mohammad Reza was the Shah, under his reign 2500 years of Persian monarchy was continued. The US and the UK supported him, but he was not installed by either.
The Shah was put back in power after a US and UK backed coup took the prime minister out of office, so yeah, he was installed. The US and UK wanted to re-privatize the oil business which was briefly nationalized under the PM. He was then propped up by those two governments until 79 when the clergy took over.

The Shah was put back in power after a US and UK backed coup took the prime minister out of office, so yeah, he was installed. The US and UK wanted to re-privatize the oil business which was briefly nationalized under the PM. He was then propped up by those two governments until 79 when the clergy took over.
Ok thx, got it. I would probably call that reinstated rather than install?

Back