Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force! 6/6/1944

Not many WWII Vets remain with us.

So true dadofthree. I'm blessed to still have my 89 yr old father who was a tail gunner on a B17 shot down over Germany in Nov 1944. We just asked him this morning when he heard the news of D-Day and he said he was on a B17 training mission, still in the states. Dad has lots of stories about WW2!

I was very impressed by Roosevelt's prayer, reading it is great but you should search for a link of an audio. Sadly, I bet that prayer wouldn't happen in the US today.

I talked to a D-Day vet a few years ago (rest his soul) who is depicted in this video, he is on the second landing craft and has the silver colored cup attached to his ruck sack, you see him at around 2:12

He was one of the few from that landing that made it to his objective....he was wounded twice but hid them so he wouldn't be taken out of battle...he said he fought all the way into Holland and although wounded a few times, never spent any real time in a field hospital..

The guy was harder than Christmas candy..

I used to deal with WWII vets on a daily basis. They are all gone now.

Sadly true.
I live just a few minutes from Bedford County, Va
There and several of the surrounding communities are called 'Purple Heart Communities' with several historical signs and info around the areas.
It has been normal throughout my life to see and speak with many WW2 vets, just in day to day things, at the store, and anywhere in public(identify them by their WW2 hats).
Now, and seemingly suddenly, it is becoming very rare to see any of these guys out and about anymore.
Time waits for no one...

Sadly true.
I live just a few minutes from Bedford County, Va
There and several of the surrounding communities are called 'Purple Heart Communities' with several historical signs and info around the areas.
It has been normal throughout my life to see and speak with many WW2 vets, just in day to day things, at the store, and anywhere in public(identify them by their WW2 hats).
Now, and seemingly suddenly, it is becoming very rare to see any of these guys out and about anymore.
Time waits for no one...
Hi. My dad was there. He went all the way to Germany.

A few years ago guys from my unit jumped into Normandy on the D Day anniversary...even though they were seasoned special forces combat vets, they said it was pretty surreal to do this jump and reflect back on what those guys went through...

The WW2 vets awaiting them at the edge of the DZ were very happy to talk to them and share stories...

I got to meet many of the former "Devil's Brigade" members and that was indeed a real pleasure...

They truly were the greatest generation....

A few years ago guys from my unit jumped into Normandy on the D Day anniversary...even though they were seasoned special forces combat vets, they said it was pretty surreal to do this jump and reflect back on what those guys went through...

The WW2 vets awaiting them at the edge of the DZ were very happy to talk to them and share stories...

I got to meet many of the former "Devil's Brigade" members and that was indeed a real pleasure...

They truly were the greatest generation....
Indeed they were.

… and today this is the respect the fallen get…

3ACC97EB-7F1C-4228-ACA7-0059BD7D9154.jpeg

… and today this is the respect the fallen get…

View attachment 1667580
There was supposed to be a Chinese dredging vessel looting a WW2 wreck near my son's Frigate....they sent their helo to investigate but there was no surface ship anywhere to be seen at the the coordinates of the wreck....

It's a sad thing that they (Chinese) would so such a thing...goes to show you how desperate for raw materials they are becoming...

There was supposed to be a Chinese dredging vessel looting a WW2 wreck near my son's Frigate....they sent their helo to investigate but there was no surface ship anywhere to be seen at the the coordinates of the wreck....

It's a sad thing that they (Chinese) would so such a thing...goes to show you how desperate for raw materials they are becoming...
Are we sure they are doing this or is it just that chinese ships have been seen near the wrecks and it was assumed that’s what they were doing? Anyone actually seen them lifting stuff off the bottom of the ocean? Seems like a tremendous effort to go thru to get 80yr old corroded steel or whatever off the bottom of the sea? I find it hard to believe China is so desperate for materials that they’d have to do this. They now refine a lot of the steel used in this country with scrap we send them. Why would they be short?
Orrrrrr……..could it be a PR campaign to make them look like evil grave disturbing holy site robbers?

Are we sure they are doing this or is it just that chinese ships have been seen near the wrecks and it was assumed that’s what they were doing? Anyone actually seen them lifting stuff off the bottom of the ocean? Seems like a tremendous effort to go thru to get 80yr old corroded steel or whatever off the bottom of the sea? I find it hard to believe China is so desperate for materials that they’d have to do this.
Orrrrrr……..could it be a PR campaign to make them look like evil grave disturbing holy site robbers?
That's the big question I suppose....

Would I put it past them? I don't think I would.

Are we sure they are doing this or is it just that chinese ships have been seen near the wrecks and it was assumed that’s what they were doing? Anyone actually seen them lifting stuff off the bottom of the ocean? Seems like a tremendous effort to go thru to get 80yr old corroded steel or whatever off the bottom of the sea? I find it hard to believe China is so desperate for materials that they’d have to do this. They now refine a lot of the steel used in this country with scrap we send them. Why would they be short?
There’s a heap of pics around showing the amount of stuff they are pulling up. Anchors, guns, munitions etc etc.

5531654A-39E1-4522-979B-984B7AFA1039.jpeg

A8A4145F-3D69-413D-9FB3-540E31FD282E.jpeg

A214304E-AEEF-469C-8C88-100D11F7DD89.jpeg

88FBC141-0E29-4127-8D5D-C1A7DBF53C05.jpeg

FC966709-BE1A-4BF5-8DC2-3D740633C347.jpeg

Back