soft luggage protection

Paulmc

Registered
What do all of the sport touring busas put behind their soft saddlebags to stop the rubbing of the rear fairings. I was hoping to find a vinyl product or something that I could put on and take off when not in use, but something that wouldn't damage the stickers. Thanks for the help

I have seen some bags that come with a neoprene backing to protect the plastics. I guess you can buy some neoprene (or foam) and retrofit your bags with it.

7.jpg

Blue painters tape.... and it's cheap

My bags has that foam just like the ones above but the bags will shift while traveling and rub

thumbnail.aspx

Last edited:
When touring, Cant really see it when the bags are on ... But I sometimes get some strange looks when I take the bags off and ride down the street to the store or dinner, but yes Blue Tape worx perfect.

epic-May07 040b.jpg

Too bad they don't make "black painters tape" even "white painters tape" would be better than blue... for me anyway :laugh:

If you don't want the look of the blue painters tape go to racerstape.com. They have a product called helicopter tape that is clear and can easily be removed when you are done with the luggage. You need to be a little careful with the neoprene padding. In riding it collects dust and grime. Over time it becomes abrasive. The constant vibration from the bike and wind movement will damage the paint.

Another option, In most hardware stores, ask for clear contact paper. You know the stuff your mother used to lay down on the kitchen cabinet shelves before she put the cups and glasses in. The stuff peals right off is clear and is not noticable.

Used my bags for over 5k miles now (two trips ride down to the Gap) and just used the foam the bags are provided with. No scratches yet.

I have the cortech bags pictured above but I was just worried about scratchs. I am going to do a tour in August and I am trying to get stuff together. Thanks for the help.

I use the clear contact paper stuff. Cheap, looks good (well, OK) and easy to put on and take off. GREAT protection for the plastic!:thumbsup:

I use some thin mesh foam. Got it in a general store.
Comes in a roll 2ft by 4ft. On the packaging its advertised as a mat to stop table cloths from sliping. Anyway, I cable tied it to the side of the luggage. Works great.
Best of luck...

I ended up calling racetape and he sent me a sample of gapping tape, I think that is what he called it . Seems like it will work great with very little residue and it came in black. Thanks for the help and they were great to deal with.

Contact clear vinyl shelf liner, available at Wally World. Cheap. Easy on; easy off.
I also use it on my Z06 for track days. Can't beat it.

CW

When using the blue tape use caution when taking it off... I :duh: pealed some of the custom 1340 decal off with the tape.

... Tapeworks.com gonna get some business from me this winter.

Back