Soft luggae

Tool

Registered
Just bought a magnetic tank bag and tail bag. feel a little timid about the magnetic tank bag scratching the tank. its well padded, just wondering if anyone has had any problems with magnetic tank bags? or tips on using?

I'm using an Icon magnetic bag. I've used it on the Busa and the FZ1 before it and have never had a problem. It has a rubber backing that prevents sliding around. You just need to keep the grit cleaned off of it.

Dan

I'm using an Icon magnetic bag.  I've used it on the Busa and the FZ1 before it and have never had a problem.  It has a rubber backing that prevents sliding around.  You just need to keep the grit cleaned off of it.

Dan
+1. Make sure you look at the bottom of the bag and on the pads, a quick brush off before laying it on your tank will keep yoiu scratch free!

Just bought a magnetic tank bag and tail bag. feel a little timid about the magnetic tank bag scratching the tank. its well padded, just wondering if anyone has had any problems with magnetic tank bags? or tips on using?
I have an Icon tank bag. It allows you to tuck the magnets in so they won't collect staples and other small loose magnetic items. As someone said, make sure to check the magnets before every use....especially if you ride to work and take the bag in w/ you.

Also keep a cloth or something in the tank bag to wipe the tank down before application as a precaution.

Thanks for the input
smile.gif

EXL off ebay. they seem to be of good quality. and seller was great with shipping and replacing wrong color. also bought tail bag and saddle bags.
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-EXL-79-MOTORCYCLE-MAGNETIC-TANK-BAG-LUGGAGE-MB-10_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34284QQih

Z002QQitemZ4651655317QQrdZ1" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....7QQrdZ1</a>

<!--EDIT|Tool
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150992170 -->

I have a joe rocket magnetic tank bag and love it. Like they said above though... look at the underside of the bag before every use. I take mine just about everytime i ride and that said, i had it at work with me. Didnt look at it before i put it on the bike and unknown to me there was a staple stuck to the magnets. It scratched my tank...
sad.gif

If you are worried about scratching your tank put on a Tankslapper kit! The kit covers darn near the entire tank (top, back and sides) and it can be removed easily for cleaning/waxing! Never know its there until you need it!

The only issue I have had with mine was my own fault. I tried to ride without my tank bag attached one time and the aft buckle for the bag got smashed sideways into the Tankslapper material and mangled it a bit. But it did its job and protected the tank. I made a heavier duty replacement out of marine (vinyl) Roll glass. It works equally as well as the Tankslapper material but it is bit more work to get all the wrinkles out of it. I even made a piece for the face of my hump to stop my long jacket from eating it up. I ride practically every day and I now rest easy that my (well waxed) paint is going to be just fine day in, day out. And I can peel all of em off in seconds if I want!

I got the Tour Master magetic bag. Actually is 2 bags--small one zips on top of the larger one. You can use both together or either one alone (sm or lrg). I have them on my bike 99% of the time. Great way to carry all my shid. I put the tank slapper thing on the bike in order to protect the paint. Personally, I don't like the looks of the tankslapper but most of it is hidden by the bag. Works great so far!

Check out luggagelocker.com
They have a tank bag that has a base that bolts to your gas cap screws. It keeps the bottom of the bag from touching yor tank. Turn it 1/4 turn and it comes off. It also locks and the base works for camera mounts etc. (I think).

I have the Nelson-Rigg Silver Streak - has magnets on the bottom of the bag and flaps on each side with additional magnets to keep the bag stable - and it works very well.  I also keep the tank well waxed, never set the bag down on the ground (where it might pick up metal shards) and always check the bag bottom just before I install it to ensure that there is nothing on the bag to scratch the paing.

I keep a piece of cardboard stock in the bag - when I take the bag off the bike, I put that cardboard on the bottom of the bag before I fold the side flaps over onto the bottom - the cardboard makes it easier to pull the flaps back off the bottom of the bag - without it the magnets on the flaps stick to the magnets on the bottom of the bag so tightly that it looks like the bottom of the bag is going to tear when I pull the flap magnets off the bottom.

Back