Soft clutch and brake lever after 2 year storage

gunmetalbusa

Registered
I have a friend who's trying to revive his 07 after long storage. I'm assuming air in both the brake and clutch lines after 2 years. No brakes at all, and clutch engages abruptly after initial release. Fluid is full in both reservoirs.

OK please correct me if I'm wrong. To bleed air out of brake line, release bleed valve while compressing lever, tighten when lever touches grip. Release lever, and repeat process until fluid comes out of bleed valve? (I've only done this on a car)

On clutch, I would assume the same process, but not sure wear bleed valve is.

I'd appreciate any input, the rest of the bike seems fine accept low tire pressure. Any other things that might need to be checked? Dry storage, 5-10 engine warm ups over the 2 years I'm told...original gas....(Not good)

Thanks!

Im thinking air in the lines. Open bleed valve while squeezing the lever > Tighten the bleed valve right before the lever is fully compressed (before it touches the grips) > Repeat the process untill ALL THE AIR IS OUT not, until fluid comes out, like you said above. It takes forever doing it that way. I recommend getting a Mighty Vac. You will be done in 2 minutes. The clutch bleed valve is on the front sprocket cover. For the rear brakes, there are 2 bleed valves on the brake caliper. One on both sides. Make sure you chain is lubed. And I would flush your radiator too.

Hope that helps! :beerchug:

Last edited:
I have a friend who's trying to revive his 07 after long storage. I'm assuming air in both the brake and clutch lines after 2 years. No brakes at all, and clutch engages abruptly after initial release. Fluid is full in both reservoirs.

OK please correct me if I'm wrong. To bleed air out of brake line, release bleed valve while compressing lever, tighten when lever touches grip. Release lever, and repeat process until fluid comes out of bleed valve? (I've only done this on a car)

On clutch, I would assume the same process, but not sure wear bleed valve is.

I'd appreciate any input, the rest of the bike seems fine accept low tire pressure. Any other things that might need to be checked? Dry storage, 5-10 engine warm ups over the 2 years I'm told...original gas....(Not good)

Thanks!

clutch bleed valve is inside the right fairing.
u will see it near the coolant reservoir.

I am a fan of the "Gravity" method of bleeding.. (does not foam the fluid)..

I would get a 2 pints of DOT4

Empty the reservoirs with a syringe and then refill them with fresh fluid..

attach a small hose to the bleeders and run to a cup on the floor
open one front brake bleeder and run about 8 ounces of fluid through (keeping master full at all times)
Open second front caliper, for about another 4 ounces.. (again do not let master go dry)

Clutch: these things hold a lot of fluid, run about 12 ounces through the same way..

Rear: another 8 ounces

(does not hurt to do this to any bike once a year)

just an FYI... DO NOT GET THIS FLUID ON ANYTHING PAINTED OR PLASTIC.... just makes a mess of stuff.. wont hurt caliper, tires or wheel for just a short period.. soap and water clean up...

Back