So who is living off the CABLE TV grid?

Slowstang305

Registered
Realized $200+- per month is absolutely ridiculous for internet/tv and need to get out of that. I spend most of my time at work anyways and could care less. Anyone else let go of cable? What are your alternatives? I have netflix free from T-Mobile so figure I could swing into that. Anyone using a digital antenna? Are you picking up any channels? I figure I could get internet for $40-50...

Realized $200 + - per month is absolutely ridiculous
for internet / tv and need to get out of that .

I spend most
of my time at
work anyways

and could care less .

Anyone else let go of cable ?

What are your alternatives ?

I have netflix free from T-Mobile
so figure I could swing into that .

Anyone using a digital antenna ?

Are you picking up any channels ?

I figure I could get internet for $40-50 . . .

Realized $200+- per month is absolutely ridiculous for internet/tv and need to get out of that. I spend most of my time at work anyways and could care less. Anyone else let go of cable? What are your alternatives? I have netflix free from T-Mobile so figure I could swing into that. Anyone using a digital antenna? Are you picking up any channels? I figure I could get internet for $40-50...
Depending on where you live you can get a decent amount of channels on a digital antenna (20-25 on average). I have internet and television at home as well for around $120 a month. The only reason I dont go off the grid is the kids. They like their cartoons and kids channels and know how to turn the TV on and punch in their channel number. If it were up to me I would not have standard cable. I use my streaming box pretty much every day. I also have Hulu, The Netflix from Mobile as you said and I have Amazon Prime so that is pretty much all I watch.

Curious stang, if you go off cable grid what you will use for internet. My CATV provider sticks it right up your @ss for internet only...its almost cheaper to have the 2 services.

I live in bfe, we switched to a Roku a few months back, it's like $50/month for Hulu, the networks and ESPN vs the 250 direct TV was charging. Not as convenient or comprehensive, but for 1/5 of the price I'm good with it.
Internet is through a local provider. Again not the greatest, but cheap and good enough for our family's needs.

We bought a digital antenna last year...but I've yet to put it up(time and weather).
Comcast and internet is over $200 a month, about $70 of which is internet(which we'd keep).
Can't get line of sight for satellite either, so Directv and Dish are a no go.
We have Netflix for free, as my wife's best friend put her on her account years back.
I just need to put the digital antenna on the roof and try it...and hopefully tell Comcast where to go.

I've cut the cord. High speed Internet for 70 a month. Stream on a Roku with Sling (25 month), Netflix (10 month), and Amazon Prime (100 a year). My cable/internet bill used to be close to 200 a month so this is a lot less but not as cheap as I would like it. I might get rid of amazon prime, we just don't order that much stuff from them and almost never use the streaming service.

I have cut the cord .

High speed Internet
for $70 a month .

Stream on a Roku with Sling ( $25 month ) ,
Netflix ( $8 month ) , and Amazon Prime ( $8.25 a month ) .

My cable / internet bill used to be close to
$200 a month so this is a lot less but
not as cheap as I would like it .

I might get rid of amazon prime ,
we just do not order that much stuff from them
and almost never use the streaming service .

Last edited:
Depending on where you live you can get a decent amount of channels on a digital antenna (20-25 on average). I have internet and television at home as well for around $120 a month. The only reason I dont go off the grid is the kids. They like their cartoons and kids channels and know how to turn the TV on and punch in their channel number. If it were up to me I would not have standard cable. I use my streaming box pretty much every day. I also have Hulu, The Netflix from Mobile as you said and I have Amazon Prime so that is pretty much all I watch.

Curious stang, if you go off cable grid what you will use for internet. My CATV provider sticks it right up your @ss for internet only...its almost cheaper to have the 2 services.
You are right they definitely try to do that. I work in IT so pretty familiar with offerings in the area. From what I gather I can go to a $40 a month plan (plus tax and fees) for a 60Mbps (which is usually slower). That will save a lot of cash monthly. I figure that will be good enough for everything I really need. Comcast or ATT are pushing promos all over the place here, the problem is they expire after a while and then they screw you so I figure I could always jump around. I don't need a home phone but like you paying for one due to a bundle.

I've cut the cord. High speed Internet for 70 a month. Stream on a Roku with Sling (25 month), Netflix (10 month), and Amazon Prime (100 a year). My cable/internet bill used to be close to 200 a month so this is a lot less but not as cheap as I would like it. I might get rid of amazon prime, we just don't order that much stuff from them and almost never use the streaming service.
What got me is $200 is a freaking care payment. For the price I could go get a shitbox and daily drive it without putting miles on anything I care about.

What got me is $200 is a freaking care payment. For the price I could go get a shitbox and daily drive it without putting miles on anything I care about.

Exactly. There are so many better things I could do with that 200 a month. Thats one seriously good gun plus ammo each year, or cigars and rum plus a cheap gun each year, or :race: parts.:banana:

Here is what we did well over a year ago and then I will tell you what I am about to do...

1) Moved from Direct TV to Direct TV now (went from 160.00 a month to 40.00 a month in streaming services
2) Netflix 11.99 month
3) Hulu .99 cents month ( waited for special on slickdeals )
4) Amazon Prime -- Amazon video is part of the package so net = free

Directnow was pretty slick when it first came out, I signed up the first week it was offered for 35.00 and got 60 channels. They have had continual outages, they struggle with technology and keeping streaming up and operational and there are known issues with multiple logins as the servers decide what is / is not signed in.

I tested YouTube TV for several months and we are going to make the switch from Directnow over to YoutubeTV.

YouTube is the King of streaming services and you get unlimited DVR for 9 months. While their channel lineup is not as large as the others I can get what I need through local air channels, or just getting the individual shows one off.

Here is what we did well over a year ago and then I will tell you what I am about to do...

1) Moved from Direct TV to Direct TV now (went from 160.00 a month to 40.00 a month in streaming services
2) Netflix 11.99 month
3) Hulu .99 cents month ( waited for special on slickdeals )
4) Amazon Prime -- Amazon video is part of the package so net = free

Directnow was pretty slick when it first came out, I signed up the first week it was offered for 35.00 and got 60 channels. They have had continual outages, they struggle with technology and keeping streaming up and operational and there are known issues with multiple logins as the servers decide what is / is not signed in.

I tested YouTube TV for several months and we are going to make the switch from Directnow over to YoutubeTV.

YouTube is the King of streaming services and you get unlimited DVR for 9 months. While their channel lineup is not as large as the others I can get what I need through local air channels, or just getting the individual shows one off.
I have prime already just never explored its options. I saw the hulu deal but did not take advantage at the time and get free netflix from t mobile but the basic plan. I did not research much on youtube TV but now will. Thanks for the list.

I'm a sports fanatic so I'm staying tethered until the end of the NFL playoffs, then I'm cutting the cord. MLB, NHL and NBA are available to stream but Directv still has the NFL wrapped around their finger. I guess I'll do without pro football if that doesn't change by next season.

Back