so we got any farmers here

When I was a kid we had hundreds of chickens... I hated em then and I still hate em... in the summer they would cram into the corner in the coop under the tin roof and smother each other, you would have to go into the nasty coop and schew them out of the corners... When it rained the would go outside and look up and drown.... The best part of raising chickens was killing them to eat!

cap

I think I would hate having hundreds of them too. Right now I only have eight and don't want anymore right now. That should be more than enough eggs since we only have the 2 of us in my house

I might let them run loose next summer after the know where they get food from every morning lol

My son (now 20) is quite the farmer. When I asked him about fencing in his chickens he said "They know where to come when they get hungry". He also has some calves but his main herd is meat goats, he always has between 50 - 100. Talk about noisy! But only at feeding time or if a little one gets separated from it's momma. He works as a carpenter and farms on the side.

My son (now 20) is quite the farmer. When I asked him about fencing in his chickens he said "They know where to come when they get hungry". He also has some calves but his main herd is meat goats, he always has between 50 - 100. Talk about noisy! But only at feeding time or if a little one gets separated from it's momma. He works as a carpenter and farms on the side.

That's pretty awesome. I give great respect to these people that don't mind working hard all day. I think its something we have lost, taking pride in what you can do with your own 2 hands.

Never had fresh eggs so I wouldn't know. I only had the grocery store stuff. Don't think I would want a chicken farm though. I would like to start a garden though but not sure I got the room for something like that.

fresh chicken eggs are the best for sure. I put in my usual garden this year its 100x75. I fence it in with chicken wire 2 layers high to keep the deer out. Did corn, green beans, peas, tomatoes, taters, and onions this year. Been feasting on all the goddies for a while now. My wife has also been making salsa.

fresh chicken eggs are the best for sure. I put in my usual garden this year its 100x75. I fence it in with chicken wire 2 layers high to keep the deer out. Did corn, green beans, peas, tomatoes, taters, and onions this year. Been feasting on all the goddies for a while now. My wife has also been making salsa.

Fresh garden salsa sound awesome. I might be able to do one of those raised bed gardens and throw some things in there.

I would love to do one that big but figured for my first try I should start small. I'm really glad to see so many people here are into growing there own things.

Neighbors have chickens loose in back yard. Every once in a while one flies over fence and my dog chases it back.
I like the free eggs but don't like the rooster. He needs to learn my day off and scream accordingly.

Neighbors have chickens loose in back yard. Every once in a while one flies over fence and my dog chases it back.
I like the free eggs but don't like the rooster. He needs to learn my day off and scream accordingly.

Didn't you just get your son a bb gun a couple months back? :laugh:

I think farming is a noble and honourable proffesion. Unfortunately,the newer generations will not see it that way.

"The fastest way to starve to death,

is to grow food."

RSD.

I raise some honeybees, and a small garden... yes, a good feeling.

IMG_3120.jpg

IMG_2931.jpg

Back