So the Whistle is Blown on the 'Climate Change' Scam at long last ....

It's like how most other things seem to go. It isn't a big problem until it is. Then when it is, it's a huge problem to fix.

And then the cost to fix is....

I took a position in a waste to reuse company. Specifically to use waste tires in productive ways. I did one in Hungary in the 90s. The U.S. is finally starting to see we have to do something besides bury old tires.

There is a lot of jokes made about old tires. People have NO clue how bad the problem of sending them to landfill is.

When I designed and licensed this site, I did so to be a designated clean up company as well. Our first clean up request was for 8M tires!

That was for one site. Texas has about 50 of these across the state.

Now it takes years to fix, money to fix, governments to fix, attitudes to fix.

The cost of doing nothing now exceeds the cost doing something now.

One fire cost the state an EPA fine of $12M. For one violation. The fire itself cost more than that.

Nobody has a clue what 20M tires look like when you have them in one place.

Dallas alone generates 13M a year just by itself.

We can take in 3M a year. And we are considered a big site.

It will take 20 years to clean up illegal piles, with all the stars aligned and no more being added.

Good luck with that.
There's a rubber recycling facility close to me, they bring in tires by the trailer load all day every day. Shred, separate and repurpose the rubber into playground surfaces, running tracks etc. I see it as making a very small dent in a huge problem.

There's a rubber recycling facility close to me, they bring in tires by the trailer load all day every day. Shred, separate and repurpose the rubber into playground surfaces, running tracks etc. I see it as making a very small dent in a huge problem.

Is this an acceptable use? Are they doing anything to contain the chemicals in the rubber crumb or is it just re-purposing without really doing anything about the problem? I would much rather we spend our money on a problem like this than CO2.

Is Rubber Mulch a Safe Surface for Your Child's Playground?

Yep that's great repurpose. The U.S. needs to be more agressive in pushing it into asphalt and cement aggregates and use it in our roads. That one push could solve the entire problem.

It's like how most other things seem to go. It isn't a big problem until it is. Then when it is, it's a huge problem to fix.

And then the cost to fix is....

I took a position in a waste to reuse company. Specifically to use waste tires in productive ways. I did one in Hungary in the 90s. The U.S. is finally starting to see we have to do something besides bury old tires.

There is a lot of jokes made about old tires. People have NO clue how bad the problem of sending them to landfill is.

When I designed and licensed this site, I did so to be a designated clean up company as well. Our first clean up request was for 8M tires!

That was for one site. Texas has about 50 of these across the state.

Now it takes years to fix, money to fix, governments to fix, attitudes to fix.

The cost of doing nothing now exceeds the cost doing something now.

One fire cost the state an EPA fine of $12M. For one violation. The fire itself cost more than that.

Nobody has a clue what 20M tires look like when you have them in one place.

Dallas alone generates 13M a year just by itself.

We can take in 3M a year. And we are considered a big site.

It will take 20 years to clean up illegal piles, with all the stars aligned and no more being added.

Good luck with that.
There was a fire in a Detroit tire disposal facility that burned for something like a year. It was in the middle of the pile, which was about 5 stories high. They couldn't put it out.

They use recycled rubber on our roads here. I can't tell the difference between it and asphalt when driving on it.

Is this an acceptable use? Are they doing anything to contain the chemicals in the rubber crumb or is it just re-purposing without really doing anything about the problem? I would much rather we spend our money on a problem like this than CO2.

Vulcanized rubber is a pretty stable thing as long as the UV doesn't break it down from over exposure. Cutting it into smaller pieces doesn't release anything like burning it or subjecting it high heat melt downs does.

While I am not trying to discredit the evidence being proposed by some of these instances of playground and sports field applications, it in fact why I chose to not produce that product line, I'd tend to believe it's the black colorations and bonding agents being ground into the skin pores, before the actual rubber parts.

What we have proven and are starting to get recognition of, is the environmental damage done by these piles burning is far greater than the less impactful reduction and reuse choices.

Like I said, now that the problem has gotten BIG, we have to select from bad choices to make it better now.

There was a fire in a Detroit tire disposal facility that burned for something like a year. It was in the middle of the pile, which was about 5 stories high. They couldn't put it out.
Yep. These are very hard to put out. Often they just are left to burn out. They burn hot and long and dirty!

If you'd like to look up the Odfessa Tx fire., its what began to turn the legislative tables for Texas. The EPA hit them hard for it. And it was a pretty small site. It simply got abandoned with no oversight.

This site is typical of many in not only Tx, but across the country. Middle of nowhere. Nothing to support any problems. So water may not be there to fight the fires. Or fire departments may be miles away.

Our site was approved after over a year of wrangling. We are the only site in the state that has 12" water mains piped to us and full size fire hydrants spaced every 200 feet. That is just ONE aspect we needed to place in order to accomplish this. We essentially have our own on site fire dept. Private Fire Dept that even the closest city doesn't have. They spend a lot of time grinding us on fire suppression for our license.

We have to keep functional bulldozers on site and a reserved 20' fire lane around our entire site used as a possible earthen berm to be used to to surround a fire.

And this was the CHEAPEST way to solve the problem!!! Down the road we may look at Oxygen displacement systems. In case of fire, release huge tanks of heavier than oxygen air, displaces oxygen and chokes out the fire. For sites that can't have the luxury of water.

Right now, many were never required to have fire suppression at all. They were supposed to limit capacities to small numbers of tires. Which they didn't. And now we clean up the messes.

It's not a perfect alternative, but it appears to be a useful one. If you struggle to keep your kids from eating rubber chips from a playground, I don't think it's a material problem...

Yep that's great repurpose. The U.S. needs to be more agressive in pushing it into asphalt and cement aggregates and use it in our roads. That one push could solve the entire problem.
We use slag and flyash now currently as filler and binder in concrete, I'm sure adding rubber to that or asphalt would be unnoticeable to the end user.

We use slag and flyash now currently as filler and binder in concrete, I'm sure adding rubber to that or asphalt would be unnoticeable to the end user.
OK so these are called RMAs (Rubber Modified Aggregates). Cement or asphalt for the purposes of discussion are the same here.

When blended they are a cost saving of 45% over the life of the deployed product. That comes at various levels to add to that final amount but it goes something like this. Cheaper by the mile to make, cheaper by the mile to install as it requires less thickness of roadway to accomplish the same. Easier on the environment to install.

Once Installed.

Quieter roadways. Stays blacker longer , so therefore repainting of the road control measures are reduced. It doesn't pothole as easy. It stands up well to heat and cold and water.

A two-inch thick overlay will use about 2,000 tires per lane mile at 18% RMA ratio. This means that for a one-mile section of a four-lane highway, 8,000 tires can be used in creating a safer, quieter, longer-lasting road!

You can get out your calculators to see the market here.

PLUS those tires are further cost saving by not needing to go to landfill or etc.

As a volunteer fire fighter I was part of a team that fought a tire fire for a week...thankfully it was a small tire farm and we were able to put it out using lots of foam.

OK so these are called RMAs (Rubber Modified Aggregates). Cement or asphalt for the purposes of discussion are the same here.

When blended they are a cost saving of 45% over the life of the deployed product. That comes at various levels to add to that final amount but it goes something like this. Cheaper by the mile to make, cheaper by the mile to install as it requires less thickness of roadway to accomplish the same. Easier on the environment to install.

Once Installed.

Quieter roadways. Stays blacker longer , so therefore repainting of the road control measures are reduced. It doesn't pothole as easy. It stands up well to heat and cold and water.

A two-inch thick overlay will use about 2,000 tires per lane mile at 18% RMA ratio. This means that for a one-mile section of a four-lane highway, 8,000 tires can be used in creating a safer, quieter, longer-lasting road!

You can get out your calculators to see the market here.

PLUS those tires are further cost saving by not needing to go to landfill or etc.
Gotcha, so it's aggregate used in asphalt. I wonder if there's an opportunity for using it in the concrete industry?

Back