So I'm surfing motorcycle videos on YouTube and...

Hayabusawannabe

Registered
I'm checking out guys who can get a knee down and in some cases more than that. It left me wondering do you really NEED to get your knee on the ground or do folks do it just because it's fun or they want to look cool?? Now I've seen pix of guys busa's that are scratched on the bottom from leaning the bike over in a turn so there was no knee action happing and he turned so why do it if it isn't necessary? I'm not at that skill level yet so I don't know what to think about it.

Everyone rides differently. Dragging a knee looks cool but its not all about looks. If you can drag a fairing your doing good. On a road race I would bet on a the guy dragging the side of his bike not a knee. I'm not a great rider but I can knock off chicken strips no prob but haven't dragged a fairing. Suspension set up might have something to do with it. Take a road race coarse if you can.

This will be a good discussion... Putting a knee puck down is all about fun on the street... At the track it's a whole different story, on the street I consider that just messing around and enjoying the ride... When you are at the track the difference is that there is a reason to get off the bike and get good body position for speed... The knee will hit the ground on the track because of speed and good body position...

Where's Tuff..

Everyone rides differently. Dragging a knee looks cool but its not all about looks. If you can drag a fairing your doing good. On a road race I would bet on a the guy dragging the side of his bike not a knee. I'm not a great rider but I can knock off chicken strips no prob but haven't dragged a fairing. Suspension set up might have something to do with it. Take a road race coarse if you can.

Totally disagree and have a hard time fathoming the statement: "If you can drag a fairing your're doing GOOD"? Nope, you are doing BAD and about to really hurt yourself. Dragging a hard part means you are about to either grab something, or you are taking weight (ie. grip) off the tires/suspension. Look at the myraid of dragon videos and see what happens when you drag hard parts. And you won't find ANY racers who want to drag hard parts.

Putting your knee down is partly cool points, partly a rite of passage, and for racers to let you know what your lean angle is AND MANAGE IT before you crash (dragging hard parts). I suggest you read Tufbusa's thread on "you wanna get your knee down' to learn more about it.

Here is a good one for ya. I wish I could ride like this. It looks like so much FUN :cheerleader:
man Draggin his helmet going fast - YouTube[/url] Be careful the busa is a heavy beast :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally disagree and have a hard time fathoming the statement: "If you can drag a fairing your're doing GOOD"? Nope, you are doing BAD and about to really hurt yourself. Dragging a hard part means you are about to either grab something, or you are taking weight (ie. grip) off the tires/suspension. Look at the myraid of dragon videos and see what happens when you drag hard parts. And you won't find ANY racers who want to drag hard parts.

Putting your knee down is partly cool points, partly a rite of passage, and for racers to let you know what your lean angle is AND MANAGE IT before you crash (dragging hard parts). I suggest you read Tufbusa's thread on "you wanna get your knee down' to learn more about it.

I have to agree with this post. " I myself have never dragged my knee " So my opinion is not from expierence but, I think it has to do with knowing your limit in a turn. When you get your knee down you know your as low as you want to go. just my 2 :2cents:

I have to agree with this post. " I myself have never dragged my knee " So my opinion is not from expierence but, I think it has to do with knowing your limit in a turn. When you get your knee down you know your as low as you want to go. just my 2 :2cents:

+1 on that

i wouldnt bother trying to put a knee down at all. ride your bike and enjoy it. dont be stupid or a hot shot. one major thing to consider on the race course is that there is rubber on the pavement to keep the bike glued.
ride your bike and enjoy your life. i dont want to read about a brother eating a guard rail

whats the pin on the underside of the footpeg for ? i always thought if you drag that, you know it,s too far... not that i ever have...

There will come a point where the lean angle required to carry a certain speed through a given turn will mean that your knee is on the road.
I have never been on a road coarse, but I can drag a knee on the street. Most of my knees down have been practicing my body position, and it was not a need. Although there are times that you just can't make the curve at high speed without being leaned over to the point where your knee is down.
Dragging a knee must happen at certain extreme point, but can be done long before it's ever Needed.
I've also dragged the fairings(especially the right side of the busa, as the engine sits out a little further on that side), as SkyDiver said, this is NOT what you want! I was trying to ride a longer and wider busa like it was a 1000. I found out in some sharp decreasing radious turns that I was scraping toes on my pegs and fairings on the road...and just asking for a lowside.

I used to drag hard parts even scraped the rear brake lever and yes on the Dragon, I guess I was lucky or had some really great tires known as Michelins.:poke:
After reading and some more reading and looking at pictures at the Dragon I realized that I was pushing my luck and I would eventully be investing in some body parts if I didnt learn to change my riding style and position.
Ive read the basics on proper body position and slowly broke some bad riding postion habits including foot position on the pegs. It was on a beautiful morning riding with a fellow org members that I started feeling comfortable with my adjusted riding postion as I started pushing myself a little faster on some virgin twisties I heard this noise and felt some rubbing coming from my knee puck which was an awesome feeling and sound that I cant explain in words. The first time that knee puck rubs is a feeling of stabilty and a guide of how far you can push that turn.
Am I a pro rider, no, do I do track days and play mr weekend moto gp pro and talk smack, nope I am just a guy who has been riding 2 wheels a long time and enjoys learning even though I am stubborn as a mule at times.
This isnt something I learned so I can "look cool" and if you do anything on a motorcycle in order to look cool, you will eventually look like an azz at your expense. IF you are one that thinks Ohh this will look in front of my buddies, Ya better put your motorcycle up until you mature enough to put big boy pants on even more so on a Hayabusa.

I used to drag hard parts even scraped the rear brake lever and yes on the Dragon, I guess I was lucky or had some really great tires known as Michelins.:poke:
After reading and some more reading and looking at pictures at the Dragon I realized that I was pushing my luck and I would eventully be investing in some body parts if I didnt learn to change my riding style and position.
Ive read the basics on proper body position and slowly broke some bad riding postion habits including foot position on the pegs. It was on a beautiful morning riding with a fellow org members that I started feeling comfortable with my adjusted riding postion as I started pushing myself a little faster on some virgin twisties I heard this noise and felt some rubbing coming from my knee puck which was an awesome feeling and sound that I cant explain in words. The first time that knee puck rubs is a feeling of stabilty and a guide of how far you can push that turn.
Am I a pro rider, no, do I do track days and play mr weekend moto gp pro and talk smack, nope I am just a guy who has been riding 2 wheels a long time and enjoys learning even though I am stubborn as a mule at times.
This isnt something I learned so I can "look cool" and if you do anything on a motorcycle in order to look cool, you will eventually look like an azz at your expense. IF you are one that thinks Ohh this will look in front of my buddies, Ya better put your motorcycle up until you mature enough to put big boy pants on even more so on a Hayabusa.

Hey man I resemble that remark.. I would only clarify one thing, it is fun to ride with 10 other org members and to be doing the speed limit and just hit the apex late, drop a knee and drag around the corner. To be 3rd, 4th, 5th in a line of guys just picking a fun line is fun and looks cool... I think my clarifying comment would be when you push so hard to get a knee down that you are over your skill level and take unnecessary chances just to say " I got my knee down" that is where you run into problems...

cap

He is also 6' 12" and can drag a knee turning out of the driveway:laugh:

I've always thought that one reason to drop a knee is that it actually reduces the lean angle required to go around a turn at speed because your weight hanging off the bike helps bring it around. Because there is less lean angle, there is more traction.

I have a TT video where one of those immortal guys (Mcgregor maybe?) says he never drags a knee and there is no need to do it. He said he changes pucks because the sponsors change, that's about it. I haven't dragged a knee so I don't know but that guy sure knew enough for me. Seems like the GP bikes run so much speed in the corners you have to lay them over though.

Think of touching your knee down as a feeler gauge to let you know your lean angle. If your body position is such that you are lowering your center of gravity and allowing the bike transition the turn quickly and smoothly you begin to support the weight of the bike.

i don't drag my knee, i don't have chaps with pucks. :laugh: but i do enjoy dragging my left hand along the road going around the pigtails.

ride well, everything else will come with time. :beerchug:

Back