So I went to start up for the first time this year.....and HELP!!!

jstdoit95

Registered
Hello all, I have an 03 no out of the ordinary mods, went to start for the first time this season and does nothing but turn and turn, I can hear the pump priming but it hasnt sparked at all not even a cough out of it and it does through and FI code after cranking a bit...I thought that maybe the gas had varnished I left it really low on fuel....so I pulled them pump...not fun but it looked fine, I cleaned the screen etc but knew that wasnt going to fix it, and no big shock it didn't so I did the Ghetto paperclip trick to read the codes, its flagging all four injectors...obviously I know they didn't crap out at once so I have been scouring the interwebs and haven't come up with anything concrete....the Power Commander seems to be lighting up as it should, its a brand new battery, actually put it in the last time it ran...the only thing I'm guessing is crank sensor even though its not throwing that code, maybe because its not getting that far since its not starting?????

I'm hoping someone can tell me!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!

Bypass power commander 1st. If then still don't run suspect one of the interlocks. I have personally had a bad tip over switch cause that as well.

Just went through this same issue PM me and I will give you my number and I will tell you what we went throught and found out

Lol don't keep it a secret!! Post it man!! :)
From my post a month ago

So bike has been sitting for winter gas stablized , went to start it and it backfires and throws the fi code for all injectors
Things I Have done so far
New plugs
put in new Injectors
changed gas out
pulled fuel pump and checked regulator to make sure it did not pop out (gutted pump AEM320 in there) external inline filter New
unpluged PC3 and ran it
so after all this bike will start fine and run up to 5 grand and no higher then pop fi light

Feeling pissed
Mark

Ok so after it going to Steve Knecum to have the motor stroked , he changed out the following
Crank sensor
Cam Sensor
Map Sensor
put a different fuel tank and pump on bike
turns out it was a two fold problem one of the injectors had a chunk of rubber blocking it so it would throw a FI code with the PC3 unplugged so after the rubber was removed the bike still had the FI code all injectors . PC3 was removed and bike ran fine . to sum it up the PC3 or a wire in the harness went bad . I now have a PC5 on it! Also Dyno Jet has a program , you send in your bad PC3 and for $199 plus shipping they send you out a new PC5

I had a few minutes this morning and went out and unhooked the PCIII....It still didn't start before killing the battery...BUT...it did snort a couple of times and its not throwing any codes while it was cranking....so leaning towards a crapped out PC perhaps???

Also...what's the minimum amount of fuel you should need to start it on the stand...I swear it sounds like its spraying inside the tank...and I have nearly a gallon in it

I had a few minutes this morning and went out and unhooked the PCIII....It still didn't start before killing the battery...BUT...it did snort a couple of times and its not throwing any codes while it was cranking....so leaning towards a crapped out PC perhaps???

Also...what's the minimum amount of fuel you should need to start it on the stand...I swear it sounds like its spraying inside the tank...and I have nearly a gallon in it

If the plugs are flooded with fuel it probably won't start until you put a fresh set in. If these bikes don't start in 2-3 seconds all your going to do is make the battery dead. FYI since it is totally dead you will need to trickle charge it for at least 12 hours.

If there is fuel spraying in the tank, a connection to the fuel pump could be leaking, that would cause low fuel pressure and not enough fuel.

I always try the easy/least expensive fix first.

Dump the shiddy fuel in the tank.
Charge the batt.
Put in fresh hi-octane.
Add the prescribed amount of Seafoam.Shake the bike side to side to mix.Wait a minute.
Attempt to start(without twisting the throttle like a maniac) and cause flooding.
Then is no joy...move on from there.

***Monday Morning Quarterback*** People,would it kill you to fill the tank to the top and add Stabil before storing for the winter?
would it kill you to flash it up once a week?
would it kill you to take her around the block once in a while?
would it kill you to buy a $30.oo battery tender and leave it plugged in?
would it kill you to have it supported front and rear on stands?
would it kill you to keep a nice coat of wax on her?
would it blah blah blah....
Just sayin.... 35 years of riding street,never once did she not flash right up for the first day of riding season.

Sorry. RSD.

Back