So here's what happened.... (how I ended up with a Busa)

Falcon Wing

Registered
As you can see, I have been registered on this forum since 2003, and only this last week I finally got a Hayabusa.

I have been riding touring bikes since i got rid of my first bike, a Honda Rebel 250. I had a Honda Pacific Coast for years and loved everything about it until I saw the 2001 Honda Goldwing 1800. I sold the PC, and snapped up a Goldwing and have been loving it since, 1k mile days are a pleasure on the wing.

So, here is what happened..... My brother was talking about how this on road/ off road scooter called a Zuma gets 100+ mpg and that I should get one for commuting. I live a short distance from work so it seemed appealing. I found a really good deal on one on Craigslist and had a pretty good time with it. It was only 49cc so it didn't need insurance or a plate.....however it cost $5 for a 3 year motorized bicycle sticker. The Zuma was pretty fun, and you could not help giggling like a school girl while riding it. The downside was it on could go 40mpg if you were lucky, but what I found out was that it actually only got 65 mpg, which I felt was ridiculous for something that slow. Turns out, to get 100+ mpg you have to not ride WOT. So, I sold that to a needy college student...and yes I told him it only got 65mpg! Here is a nice shot w/ the trunk and Corbin seat I added (gotta love ebay).
69ae66f514d169e0b0d6508894e094730_large.jpg

So, having gotten rid of the pokey scooter, I set my sights on a 08 Ninja 250 because they get 65+ mpg and can go over 100 mph if you really try, and have the time. I figured it would STILL be a good solution to originally wanting to get good mileage. I found a smoking deal on one in Denver that only had 350 miles and the owner seemed more than happy to let it go for WAY less than market value. I was not sure I would like the "sport bike" riding position after having ridden for years on touring bikes, but I LOVED it. The short wheel base, and light weight made it so fun in the twisties. I took it for a ride in the mountains and had a ball. However, as much as I was enjoying the ride....it was not as fast as I would have liked..especially since my girlfriend on her Honda Reflex would walk away from me on hills......that was embarrassing! A nice part of that ride was I got over 70 mpg.
Here is a shot of the Ninja and the GF's scoot...made the Ninja look tiny...so sad!
04e413fa56f65b82a741cb2f30c52ed00_large.jpg

So, after that ride, I was scanning eBay for Hayabusas just to see what was out there....and found a pretty good asking price for an 05 in Wyoming. I emailed the seller, agreed on a price, and he delivered it MOST of the way to me in Denver where we met at his credit union to settle his lean. The bike looked very good, only 3400 miles and hardly a scratch. I could tell it had been sitting (which he had told me) and needed a good cleaning and fluid changes. I spent the last week learning how to take the panels off and get to everything. Coolant was changed to Engine Ice, and I changed the oil tonight with the help of BUSABRET, who sent me his stock oil filter wrench and a swivel socket. Thanks so much Bret, very generous! I took it for my first real ride, 50 + miles on a totally straight road. Good GOD this is a fast bike...power NOW. I am going to need a quieter helmet to muffle my screams!
Earlier this evening, I sold the Ninja off a Craigs list ad after only having it for about a month. No sense in having 3 bikes. I figured if the Ninja was better at getting 65+ mpg and going over 100 mpg, the Busa would be better at getting over 35+ mpg and going over 180 mph...I don't know what that ratio is, but it sounds good to me.
Here is a pic of all 3 of my bikes: 08 Ninja, 05 Busa, and 01 Goldwing.
3442030d8570d84512109d01e70723720_large.jpg

So, that is my story of what happened this summer...going from a 49cc Zuma, to a 250cc Ninja, to a 05 Busa. That has to be a record of upgrades or something!
Anyway, glad to be a real member after 5 years of drooling, and I appreciate all of the help I have already received in the "do it yourself" section!
So I now only have the Wing and the Busa....the equivalent of a winnebago and a sports car.. ;)

Last edited:
Fantastic bike. One of my favorite color schemes.

Do you love the CF 2Bros, as well? I dig 'em a lot.

Congrats on the upgrade.

:beerchug:

Last edited:
Do you love the CF 2Bros, as well? I dig 'em a lot.

:beerchug:

They were on the bike when I got it. Is there an actual benefit to having them as far as performance? I think they look really good, and they don't get very hot which is interesting.
I would really like to remove the yellow lettering, because I don't think they match anything, but that doesn't look possible since they are riveted.

They were on the bike when I got it. Is there an actual benefit to having them as far as performance? I think they look really good, and they don't get very hot which is interesting.
I would really like to remove the yellow lettering, because I don't think they match anything, but that doesn't look possible since they are riveted.

you could always get a a red paint and either you or someone you know is good with meticulous lil things and paint the yellow

Back