So finally hit the 500 mark

Fun ain’t it? :cool:A good break in procedure is to always vary the rpms. Its not wise to drone on for miles and miles at a given rpm even at relatively low revs. Occasional runs into higher revs are fine as long as you’re not near the redline. The goal is to properly seat the rings which are probably fine right out of the crate anyway. That’s my procedure which has served me well for 62,000+ miles so far. Great compression with no oil loss. Oh, (pssst) Amsoil is good stuff!:D

I completed the break in on my 18 Busa and now have 1200 miles. I have not come close to the redline yet.

Now getting through break in on my ZX14 is harder. You are not supposed to go over 4000 RPM until 500 miles and 6000 RPM up to 1000 miles. I now have close to 600 miles on it.

I notice both bikes are at 3000 RPM at 60MPH.

I completed the break in on my 18 Busa and now have 1200 miles. I have not come close to the redline yet.

Now getting through break in on my ZX14 is harder. You are not supposed to go over 4000 RPM until 500 miles and 6000 RPM up to 1000 miles. I now have close to 600 miles on it.

I notice both bikes are at 3000 RPM at 60MPH.
You are lucky to own both bikes...I always hear owners of each talking smack towards the other brand but from all I've read, the two bikes are very similar. I've read the Kwack is a little more refined and has slightly better ergos....

Under 4000 RPMs for 500 miles? :shocked:That's crazy talk. My bike when it arrived had 0 miles on the odometer. I rode it for 3 miles and did a leak down to get a base measurement. It was pretty consistent between cylinders reading between 8 and 10%. Rode it very aggressively keeping the RPM's under 8000 for 21 miles. Did another leak down, all cylinders under 6%. Done, break in complete. I then did all the mods, pipe, Power Commander, flash the ECU , raise the RPM limiter and off the the dyno. Engine break-in over 100 miles is a lie #FakeNews

Under 4000 RPMs for 500 miles? :shocked:That's crazy talk. My bike when it arrived had 0 miles on the odometer. I rode it for 3 miles and did a leak down to get a base measurement. It was pretty consistent between cylinders reading between 8 and 10%. Rode it very aggressively keeping the RPM's under 8000 for 21 miles. Did another leak down, all cylinders under 6%. Done, break in complete. I then did all the mods, pipe, Power Commander, flash the ECU , raise the RPM limiter and off the the dyno. Engine break-in over 100 miles is a lie #FakeNews

I think part of it may be that the manufactures may just want people to tone it down on a new bike simply because the bike as a whole is new and if there were any defects they would rather have them happen at a lower speed. Plus there are other parts to break in such as tires, brakes, transmission, bearings.

You are lucky to own both bikes...I always hear owners of each talking smack towards the other brand but from all I've read, the two bikes are very similar. I've read the Kwack is a little more refined and has slightly better ergos....

Thanks, I heard that the ZX was smoother before I bought one but to me the Busa is very smooth. More so than the ZX in shifting. The ZX is more comfortable on long rides, It has traction control, insurance is a lot cheaper, it is also very easy to change the oil filter...lol. I did put a centerstand on the ZX. I'm not missing the Harley I traded in for the ZX.

I like the looks of the Busa a little more. They are both very stable in sweeping curves. It will be interesting to see what the next version of both bikes will be like.

Thanks, I heard that the ZX was smoother before I bought one but to me the Busa is very smooth. More so than the ZX in shifting. The ZX is more comfortable on long rides, It has traction control, insurance is a lot cheaper, it is also very easy to change the oil filter...lol. I did put a centerstand on the ZX. I'm not missing the Harley I traded in for the ZX.

I like the looks of the Busa a little more. They are both very stable in sweeping curves. It will be interesting to see what the next version of both bikes will be like.

It will be an interesting perspective owning both..

I honestly think the day of the hyper bike is coming to an end as far as Suzuki is concerned. Either they make the displacement in a new Busa ginormous or boost it in order to compete. Kawasaki has already seen success in boosting so they are way ahead.
Add to that most litre bikes are on par with the ZX and Busa as far as HP goes. The only thing keeping them at bay is their size-they don't make good sport tour bikes-IMHO.

It will be an interesting perspective owning both..

I honestly think the day of the hyper bike is coming to an end as far as Suzuki is concerned. Either they make the displacement in a new Busa ginormous or boost it in order to compete. Kawasaki has already seen success in boosting so they are way ahead.
Add to that most litre bikes are on par with the ZX and Busa as far as HP goes. The only thing keeping them at bay is their size-they don't make good sport tour bikes-IMHO.

From what I read I agree. I am glad to have the last year of them in their current form if that is the case.
Sorry if hijacking the thread.

From what I read I agree. I am glad to have the last year of them in their current form if that is the case.
Sorry if hijacking the thread.
....it's your thread...hijack away....we are on point, we are talking about your ZX.

With today's cylinder coatings the cross hatching does not last long. Compressed cylinder gasses get behind the Piston rings pushing them outwards onto the cylinders.
Wearing the rings to cylinders. Low rpm's usually mean not enough pressure to wear them together. This usually just means it's a less powerful engine burning some oil..
Perfect examples 1st hand ZRX1200R OF SUNDANCE ON zrxoa.org babies it through break in. Burns oil from day one and still does 50,000 miles later. His ZX14 was handed to me @ new with 20 miles. I ran it up to 181 mph through the gears next to redline but did not hit limiter. Now @ 30,000 miles no oil used between oil changes.
Both models have coated cylinders.
None of my bikes follow maker's break in.
R6 track day after 12 miles, and recived my road racing license. FJR1300 154 mph after 15 miles. Hayabusa due to traffic @ pick up did not see anything till 30 miles.
One thing I do is get rid of factory oil a 100 miles, and filter / oil again @ 400 to 500 miles.

Suzuki currently[when?] uses a nickel phosphorus-silicon-carbide proprietary coating trademarked SCEM (Suzuki Composite Electro-chemical Material) to maximize cylinder size and improve heat dissipation in the TU250X, Hayabusa and other motorcycles.[4]

I've been changing oil at 500 and 1000 miles. After that every 2500 miles. On past bikes I have not had an oil burning issue following break in recommendations.

I do not use these bikes at their max potential so I probably would not notice the difference in power. I did unintentionally pop a wheelie around 60mph on the Busa. On the ZX I have the traction control set to 2 which is supposed to cut down on wheelies.

Copy/paste

The biggest factor is that engine manufacturers now use a much finer honing pattern in the cylinders than they once did. This in turn changes the break-in requirements, because as you're about to learn, the window of opportunity for achieving an exceptional ring seal is much smaller with
newer engines than it was with the older "rough honed" engines.

Back