Smoking about 5 minutes after Start then Goes Away

ndhaley

Registered
2000 Busa
Velocity Turbo w waste gate
4K miles

[Fantom Smoking -- White -- OIL]

At start up no smoke (Fast idle or not) but after about 1 to 2 minutes it starts smoking BAD.

By the time I get to the end of the block it stops altogether and never returns... No matter what speed or load. No smoke even on trips.

I noticed the Boost guage reads Vacuum of 8 to 10 at idle but of course when riding it's a 0 or building pressure.

My first thought was it burning oil until the engine warmed up however if I don't let it warm up idling and just jump on and go... (Goes against my normal way of thinking) it doesn't smoke at all... So that idea is out the window.

My only thought is could the vacuum be pulling oil into the combustion chamber when cold and kickstand idling?

Anyone else heard of this?

Thanks,
Nate

To me it kinda sounds like the turbo is seeping a little oil out of the seal into the turbine. When its cold and you just take off, the turbo shaft heats up and expands quicker and seals. When you let it idle for a minute or two the turbo shaft doesn't heat up as quick and because its on its side stand it seeps some oil into the turbine side and starts burning off (smoke). Just my thoughts.

(Bergster @ Sep. 27 2006,15:03) To me it kinda sounds like the turbo is seeping a little oil out of the seal into the turbine.   When its cold and you just take off, the turbo shaft heats up and expands quicker and seals.  When you let it idle for a minute or two the turbo shaft doesn't heat up as quick and because its on its side stand it seeps some oil into the turbine side and starts burning off (smoke).  Just my thoughts.
Are there seal re-build kits? If so are the manufacture specific or size specific. I have yet to dig into a turbo yet so virgin teritory. I assume there is obviously an intake side and exhaust side and then seals on either side between the two where the oil feed line goes to center.

I guess the root of the question is are these generic seals that are pressed in that way could just replace those or have to go with a rebuild kit.

This is a known problem with that kit. The turbo is not installed high enough to allow complete oil drainage from the bearing housing under certain conditions (e.g. crankcase oil level too high or storage on the side stand). This link explains the issue -

http://tinyurl.com/8eos7

Try dropping the crankcase oil level slightly and/or store the bike on a rear stand.
There is no real oil seal in the bearing housing so if the oil level reaches the shaft height it will leak into the turbine/compressor housing.

(Gary Evans @ Sep. 28 2006,07:03) This is a known problem with that kit. The turbo is not installed high enough to allow complete oil drainage from the bearing housing under certain conditions (e.g. crankcase oil level too high or storage on the side stand). This link explains the issue -

Try dropping the crankcase oil level slightly and/or store the bike on a rear stand.
There is no real oil seal in the bearing housing so if the oil level reaches the shaft height it will leak into the turbine/compressor housing.
smile.gif

Great info! Thank You.

I have attached an image.

The return is a straight shot and the turbo is above the Pan so gravity should do it's job but the return line is plumbed into the lowest point on the oil pan at front next to Drain plug.

Since the return is under the weight of the oil inside of the oil pan by reading the diagram I should relocate it upwards towards the top part of the pan just so long as it is below the turbo so gravity does the rest. Right?

Also secondary where do I locate the Crankcase Vent? Want to also check that when get home to see if obstructed.

I just did oil change and when standing straight up the oil level is right on the "FULL" mark. How much down can I go before having to worry? If above is not the culprit.

(ndhaley @ Sep. 28 2006,07
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
)
(Gary Evans @ Sep. 28 2006,07:03) This is a known problem with that kit. The turbo is not installed high enough to allow complete oil drainage from the bearing housing under certain conditions (e.g. crankcase oil level too high or storage on the side stand). This link explains the issue -

smile.gif

Great info! Thank You.

I have attached an image.

The return is a straight shot and the turbo is above the Pan so gravity should do it's job but the return line is plumbed into the lowest point on the oil pan at front next to Drain plug.

Since the return is under the weight of the oil inside of the oil pan by reading the diagram I should relocate it upwards towards the top part of the pan just so long as it is below the turbo so gravity does the rest. Right?

Also secondary where do I locate the Crankcase Vent? Want to also check that when get home to see if obstructed.

I just did oil change and when standing straight up the oil level is right on the "FULL" mark. How much down can I go before having to worry? If above is not the culprit.
Changing the location of the oil line connection to the pan will not make any differance. What controls drainage is the height differance between the oil level in the crankcase and the bottom of the turbo shaft. Putting the return oil into the pan under the oil level work just fine as long as the turbo is installed high enough.
You can lower the crankcase oil level to the low fill mark without concern.
The crankcase vent should be to open to atmosphere.
After making a lot of these kits I beleve they finally changed the header design to raise the turbo somewhat. If you do searches on this subject at other turbo boards you will find it is an old problem.

Back