Smoker Penalty in Obama Care

Can't tell you how many people I know that smoke, drink, and eat as if they were on death row and its their last meal............. Guys that have had heart attacks, diabetes, strokes, high blood pressure, and the list goes on. People complain about welfare all the time and how they are lazy and not wanting to be held accountable and take care of themsemselves. How is this any different? Nobody is forcing you to put that cancer stick inyour mouth... You chose to so why should I or any other non smoker who chooses to live a healthy lifestyle get stuck with the bill?

they shud tax the chit out of smokers! they cost us billions and billions of $$$$$ every year for a poison they CHOSE to put in their body. the same shud go for alcohol.

I think we should tax the chit out of obese donut eating cops from Ct. :whistle:

:hide:

:laugh:

We all pick our own poisons. Nobody lives the perfect, healthy only life style. We all splurge on thing that are bad for us in one way or another.

I smoke. My doctor gets on to me when I go for my annual physical. Then he ends it with , you are as healthy as a clydesdale horse and have the lungs of a healthy 35 year old man (I'm way older than 35). I am sure one day it will catch me.

People who smoke pay a healthy tax every time you buy a pack of cigarettes. Peple who drink pay the same tax. It's called a sin tax. Been around along time.

How many people eat at McD's - I know everyone here will probably say they don't eat there, but they must be selling something to someone, they make about a billion burgers a year. (billion may be an overstatement), but add in Pizza Hut, Burger king, hardees, taco bell. Billion has to be close.

Maybe they should put more of a sin tax on all V8 powered cars, electric can openers (who needs these things), more of a tax on coffee, drink store bought water or soda pop from a plastic bottle, all these things are bad for you or the environment which in turn is bad for us all.

Lets face it none of us live health perfect lives, we all pick our own poisons.

Your right nobody is perfect but every choice has a consequence. If I choose to buy a V8 gas guzzler and then can't afford to drive it why should you pay 4 my gas? Nobody has to smoke...... I knew plenty of guys that quit after they went past $5. And they are all healthier and richer from it. Maybe this will aid others in kicking the habit as well

Your right nobody is perfect but every choice has a consequence. If I choose to buy a V8 gas guzzler and then can't afford to drive it why should you pay 4 my gas? Nobody has to smoke...... I knew plenty of guys that quit after they went past $5. And they are all healthier and richer from it. Maybe this will aid others in kicking the habit as well

You are correct that you pay for the gas, but who breathes in all the burnt fumes from the excessive cylinders that are not needed.

And this is exactly why it can be so difficult to obtain insurance if you smoke, and more expensive. It's more risk for the insurance company, hence more expensive to offset.
yea ur right. I have a friend that took on a new job about two years ago and he was a lifetime smoker. his company told him if he wanted to have health insurance thru the company then he was prohibited from smoking on or off the premisis.

he has 2 kids and a wife so of course he needed the health insurance. he had to sign some sort of waiver that if he ever came down with any smoke related illness that could be attributed to smoking he would not be covered under the policy being provided to him.

and ya know what he was GRATEFUL that his company gave him an utimatum cause they essentially saved his life and with the money he has saved from almost $10 a box he can now put it in his Busa....:beerchug:

I think we should tax the chit out of obese donut eating cops from Ct. :whistle:

:hide:

:laugh:
im all for that to. hell, im also for a yearly fit for duty test. obese people tax our healthcare system probably harder then smokers do. and just for the record I can run the 1.5 mile in 8.00 flat and ran a 4:40 mile in high school so no donut eating here....:moon::lala::mboesgrins:

How many people eat at McD's
you mean eating at Mcd's is bad for you????:laugh: well, I dont know any real poisons that are in food itself like they are in cigarettes. sure, one can eat excessively and fail to exercise and gain unhealthy weight but there is plenty of food at the grocery store far worse then what you buy at Mcdonalds.

food or water is a poor comparison to cigarettes cause everyone needs to eat and drink. no one needs to smoke.

Yeah tell that to the people standing outside buildings freezing their :moon: just so they can fill their lungs with smoke........... They can skip a meal but come hell or high water they will get their nicotine fix

you mean eating at Mcd's is bad for you????:laugh: well, I dont know any real poisons that are in food itself like they are in cigarettes. sure, one can eat excessively and fail to exercise and gain unhealthy weight but there is plenty of food at the grocery store far worse then what you buy at Mcdonalds.

food or water is a poor comparison to cigarettes cause everyone needs to eat and drink. no one needs to smoke.

Super Size Me (2004) - IMDb

No one needs a motorcycle either.

Yeah tell that to the people standing outside buildings freezing their :moon: just so they can fill their lungs with smoke........... They can skip a meal but come hell or high water they will get their nicotine fix

This is very true. Once again I smoke, I am one of the people who bare the cold and rain to smoke. I am also one of the idiots you see on a motorcycle when it is cold or raining and occasionally both.

We have all skipped something at one time or another for our motorcycles.

No doubt that smoking is bad for a person. But so is all the preservatives that they put in all the food you buy at the stores, the shots that they give the beef, pork we eat. Look at the growth junk that they feed the chickens that you buy at the grocery store.

Once again we pick our own poisons.

I think it comes down to choices.....you can choose to quit smoking, choose food products that do not contain GMOs(genetically modified organisms), choose meat that has not been fed hormones, antibiotics, etc...

I remember back around '95 a large fortune 100 company I worked for penalized smokers, charging a slight increase in health insurance premiums and requiring a "tobacco free " declaration. The penalty in health care is not new.

I think it comes down to choices.....you can choose to quit smoking, choose food products that do not contain GMOs(genetically modified organisms), choose meat that has not been fed hormones, antibiotics, etc...

I remember back around '95 a large fortune 100 company I worked for penalized smokers, charging a slight increase in health insurance premiums and requiring a "tobacco free " declaration. The penalty in health care is not new.

You are correct the penalty has been around here in North Georgia, with the employers, for quite awhile. Some of the places don't even allow you to have tobacco products on the property (not even locked in your car), if you get caught they can terminate you.

I understand a small penalty with the taxes on tobacco, but, if they are going to hit you hard on the insurance they should do away with the tax.

It is one of those choice things that the federal government should not be involved in.

Tobacco has been a cash crop in this country since before it was an actual country. Regulate the drugs the tobacco companies use but leave the smoking population alone.

I get what you are trying to say but preservatives in food is not even in the same building as far as unhealthy choices. Most people cant afford organic food and depending on where you live there isnt even a retail store to provide the option. On top of that most people in this country cant afford organic prices when it comes to feeding a family. The bottom line is people have to eat and drink water or we will die, people do not have to smoke :whistle: The motorcycle issue isnt relevant either because once again its a choice and not everybody is doing it. Sportbike, cruiser, dirtbike, to moped are all dangerous...... more wrecks occur under 50mph than over so using the fast busa example isnt relevant either.

Back