Smoked Turn Signal Mod

AZRider

Registered
Hey, just wanted to post up my turn signal mod that I did the other day. Ive included before and after pictures to get an idea of what it looks like. For the guys wondering, the turn signals are clearly visible during the day when activated so there's no issues with visibility.

Take off the front cowl to get access to the turn signal screws. Two phillips screws top and bottom. Unplug the bulb from the housing and remove the lens assembly.

In order to separate the clear lens from the housing you might be able to use a heat gun, hair dryer, or oven. I set my oven at 200 degrees for only a few minutes to get them to separate. Once you get them apart mask off the lens with tape so not to paint unwanted areas. I decided to use Krylon Fusion flat black paint so I didn't have to prep the area. Spray the inside of the lens with however many coats you want to achieve the wanted level of tint. The reason for painting the inside is for durability and the plastic lens is what gives it that gloss look. Flat black is used because it seems to be dummy proof and goes on easier without orange peel or running, etc. I applied only a thin coat to insure usability but also that "blacked out" look.

Let them dry and reassemble!

This whole process only took me about an hour, and extra paint I had lying around, so essentially pho phree!!!!

Anyways let me know what you guys think and safe riding

I ASSUME NO RISK OR LIABILITY FOR THIS MOD, PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK

Pics.

before.jpg

after.jpg

Looks great. My only concern would be the visibility, the paint had to tone them down.

Just a lil. In my opinion the stock turn signals were super bright to begin with. Even with the mod the visibility is still great.

I did something similar, but I used the Niteshades from VHT and then clearcoated it with Urethane clear when I was painting some automotive parts. Extremely glossy finish and the signals showed thru well

I would recomend using VTH Nightshade tinting spray made for lights. You make as dark as you want and light shines through. You could also just replace with smoked lenses as I did with mine.

Just a lil. In my opinion the stock turn signals were super bright to begin with. Even with the mod the visibility is still great.

Difference of opinion on that I think the stock turn signal light bulbs aren't bright enough.

But it looks great beats buying tinted turn signal lenses :thumbsup:

Back