smoked by a mazda rx8

jch364

Registered
Here goes. I was on the on ramp coming up behind an rx8. he sees me coming up and speeds up. as we enter the highway he is blowing blue smoke out the pipe throwing gears to stay just ahead of me. We slow down because of traffic but when a clearing and straight area comes up, i drop down to fourth and give the thumbs up and we take off.

We were doing about 75 when we started. He dusted me and I had the throttle twisted all the way. He pulled ahead about 3 lengths but as I passed about 10k rpms I shifted into 5th and he stopped pulling ahead. We went for just a few more seconds in 5th but shut it down because of traffic. I think we were doing about 130 about that point.

Now, If we had more room i think i would have reeled him in before I got to 6th and passed him. But what is really getting my goat is that he passed me any way. I would have thought that no matter what gear I should have been able to match and beat him on a roll on. Especially with the gear change I had done.

So im a little embarrassed about the whole thing. He was cool about it and gave me the thumbs up at the end and he hit the off ramp but he is probably tellin his buds he smoked a busa....

I have never had the opportunity to do this before so I probably made a rookie mistake somewhere that allowed this to happen. Im thinking I should have started in 3rd or even second so I could have had the rpms up higher so he would not have gotten the jump on me.......Or am i missing something....

Oh and Yes I know that I should not have done it to begin with and yes it was stupid and dumb and blah blah blah. I know. I had a retarded moment but the question is what went wrong if anything...?
banghead.gif

Should have went to 3rd or evn 4th...but you didnt hear that from me....I will never let a car..beat me....lol

guns.gif

started in 4th but thinking 3rd would have been the better idea.... dang those rx8's are fast.

Yes, they are...WOndering if he had something else under his hood...I know I would had given him hell to stay with me....Benefit of the doubt....Im sure if you really want to smoke him, you could have...No way by far, they can have a pick up like dem busas.......

Thats what im thinking. 3rd or second. If I had we would have been even till about 140 and then it would have been bye bye. But of course we didnt have enough road anyway.lol

I've dusted a couple rx8s with my wifeys mach 1 and it is in no way a match for the Busa. Either he caught you napping or he was loaded under the hood.

I had a emerald green RX-8 a couple years ago. The car handles like a surgeons scaple, BUT THEY ARE NOT FAST!! I am really suprised to hear your story, even if you had a bad gear choice. I wonder if there was more under the hood.

Its possible, he most likely had a turbo on it. Those rotary engines redline at like 9k. Its only a 1.3liter motor and it makes 230hp stock. If he was running a turbo, which is popular he no doubt beat you for a reason. Could be your driving also.

I will never know im sorry to say. It looked like an ordinary rx8. It was really clean. You could tell he took good care of it. In the end I think it was a bad gear choice and not enough room. Live and learn.

RX8's are not fast... unless its in a turn. My Mazdaspeed3 is probably quicker. No match for the almighty Busa!

You made a critical error in choosing to start in 4th. 2nd gear would have left him wondering if there was ever a busa beside him. . . I was ridin next my brother who was driving my car (98 mustang gt) I can dust rx8's in my car and we were rollin about 65-75 and I dumped 4 gears all the way down to 2nd and he said when I took off it looked like I just got shot out of a riffle. Gear selection was the entire problem.

it's already been said, but yeah, start in a much lower gear. If you were a little less then 75, Ida even started in first*. I read "5th gear and 130" and thought DANG! 5th is for 160 plus minmum. I usually drop 2 [or maybe 3] gears before takeoff for that kinda fun. I think you wooda smoked him

* You GOTTA know how to drop into 1st at highway speeds before attempting such a maneuver

Back