smog pump

OB_mslater

Registered
several have posted about smog pump removal. Where is it, what is it for, and how does it produce Hp gains? I need an education on this one.

The official term Suzuki choose for this is the PAIR system (can't think of what these letters stand for anymore).
It's a system for injecting "clean" air (from the airbox) into the exhaust headers just outside the cylinderhead for an even more complete burning of hydrocarbons (?).
The implementation details differ from make to make but by now all the Jap brands have some of their models with these (Kaw uses reeds in the cylinderheadcover I think).
On the Bus it consist of a tube from one of the throttle bores for vacuum, a large tube from the airbox to supply the clean air, and 4 tubes changing into pipes that attach just above to where the exhaust attaches to the cylinderhead and all 6 tubes come together at the so-called PAIR-valve in front of the engine.
It's getting more common all the time now because emission regs are getting tighter a lot more in Europe these coming years (it used to be that US emissions regs were strictest, but it's getting the other way around now, Euro Bus models now all have the catalyzers in the stock exhaust).
This whole system of injecting air into the exhaust headers is supposed to have no effect at all (or negligible at least) for performance.
I'm going to remove it all the next time the fairing sides are off as I hate all that ugly plumbing around that area.

Back