Smashed my previous best

Okay ... so why do I feel I suck even though I beat my previous best by nearly 3 tenths (in the 1/8th no less)? Its because my previous best was done with stock 17/40 gearing and my new best was put down with 16/43. I really expected more.

Dumb question . . I have always heard that changing one tooth up front is like 2 in back so then if im right you changed by 1 tooth .
Now if you would have stayed with a 17 in front 43 in back would that not have made a bigger difference.Just asking ..Didnt the change cancel out the change ..?
rock.gif

Im just being bored at work and wondering ..?
rock.gif

rock.gif

I've only raced 1/4 mile but I'll take the 1/8 mile info from my slip so you have a comparison.
3 1/2" over in length
strapped down 2"
rear lowered 2"
1/2 a tank of gas (ever carry a gas can around to see how heavy it is?)
shift at 10,000rpm (picked up a tenth)
air shifter
Stock motor with no filter
43 tooth sprocket
1 down on front sprocket

1.68 60ft
6.30 1/8 mile
117.97 mph
9.64 1/4 mile at 146 mph

looking at some of my previous passes a 6.54 1/8 mile equates to a 9.90 1/4 mile pass.

Practice, practice, practice....thats what I keep telling myself too...
thumb_up.gif

Okay ... so why do I feel I suck even though I beat my previous best by nearly 3 tenths (in the 1/8th no less)? Its because my previous best was done with stock 17/40 gearing and my new best was put down with 16/43. I really expected more.

Dumb question . . I have always heard that changing one tooth up front is like 2 in back so then if im right you changed by 1 tooth .
  Now if you would have stayed with a 17 in front  43 in back would that not have made a bigger difference.Just asking ..Didnt the change cancel out the change ..?
rock.gif

Im just being bored at work and wondering ..?
rock.gif
Going 1 down in the front is like going up 2-3 in the rear. By going down up front and going up in the rear I didn't cancel anything out.

Basically 16/40 is equal to 17/42-43. To get similar gearing to a 16/43 setup with the stock sprocket up front, I'd have to use a 45 tooth sprocket in the rear.

16/43 = .3720
17/45 = .3777

17/43 = .3953 (your suggestion)
17/40 = .4250 (stock)

The lower the numer the quicker the acceleration ... at least that's what I'm told.

rock.gif

Our 60' times are most important to improve on.
1/10 improvement in your 60' times will give you
2-3 tenths improvement in your 1/4 mile times.
I've babied my bike off the line till now but I
will definitly need to be more aggressive this year.

Back