Smart TRE..holy crap...review

I am guessing it is not that huge of a benefit, at least with most modern cars they have Mass airflow sensors that would compensate, but with a bikes more primitive injection..they either need to allow for it, or it is not that big of a deal. I figure if the earlier generation R1 and ZZR1200 (which is pretty close to our performance stock) have carbs and attained close to ours, and they seem to run ok...me thinks the 5th gear map is fine unless JC comes up with serious evidence that it isn't..still awaiting his response.

<!--EDIT|wickedsprint
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120894212 -->

if you are using a neutral map in the lower gears it is easy to find out you will hit the revlimiter early, aswell as the nuetral map has no timing in it. so much for the timing retard eleminator yep it removed all of it.

why is running a 5th gear map not a good idea in the lower gears? becuase most of your map is rich,(there are a few that are really lean, could be yours ) thus you would be really rich.
bottom line is this it works for some bike and not on some bikes, but 90% of Busa customers are going to buy a PC and wouldn't need it anyway. s it would be wasted money just like running 92 octane

Thank you for your replies, so for right now I intend on leaving stock exhaust and no PC, so for now a smart TRE seems to be ok since maybe I have one of the few bikes that seems to like it.

So...to recap...JC now says that the Smart TRE works on some busa's but not others...yet he jumps and belittles those who experience and post favorable reviews after installing it with a stock set-up...and then he justifies this by claiming that an astounding 90% of busa owners are going to wind up running a PC anyways?...Bad Johnny!!!
laugh.gif

So...to recap...JC now says that the Smart TRE works on some busa's but not others...yet he jumps and belittles those who experience and post favorable reviews after installing it with a stock set-up...and then he justifies this by claiming that an astounding 90% of busa owners are going to wind up running a PC anyways?...Bad Johnny!!!
laugh.gif
that is incorrect I have always said that (tre's all of them) worked on some and didn't on others go reread the old post,it all depended on the factory map and cam timing from the factory. I did not belittle him, all I asked, if he was going to see if it really did make a differance, sometimes you think something works good just because you spent money on it. Justification. I think that is called.

So I installed the smart TRE today from Ivans, the one that has a chip to keep the stock neutral map and a smoothe idle. It is alot smoother mid corner after compression braking and then resuming throttle, used to be akin to having a ton of driveline slack, but it is alot easier to make smoother mid corner power adjustments, less abruptness which was one of the reasons I wanted it. Now on to the meat and potatos, it pulls noticably harder in 1st and 2nd, like someone added another 200 CCs worth of torque, and the engine has a distinctly different growl in the lower rpm ranges when opened up. Hammering it in 1st gear brought wheelspin from a 20mph roll and second started spinning also whereas before it did not do it AS bad in 1st and virtually none in second. I am a pretty light rider though, about 155lbs ish. I can say it was worth the money. Now onto the bad news. Cruising at 30-40 ish requires a bit more finesse, throttle is touchier, but more predictable, although steady state cruising sees a very mild surge, like it does not feel as smoothe holding city crusing speeds any more, but just barely perceptible.  I am at 6100 feet of elevation for the record in case we have any high altitude fence sitters.
I'm at a mile up in elevation myself....and also tried the TRE. I thought it made a big diff in low end throttle response until I took it off and rode the bike again....guess what? ...the big diff was still there! lol. Its mostly a placebo effect, take yours back off and you'll see
wink.gif
What it DID do for me (at my elevation anyways), was make the on/off throttle response wayyyyy too abrupt, and gave me a nasty flat spot around 4k or so on the tach. I may try it again once we move down in elevation just as an experiment...but it truly sucked at a mile high.

Back