Smallest, fastest spooling turbo for 600rwhp?

gsx1300rr

Registered
Question to the guru's out there. I plan on upgrading this winter. Looking for the most efficient, fastest spooling turbo that is capable of 600rwhp. It is a built motor gen II with 9:1 compression and Ultra Plenum.

I use the bike for roll racing, and manifold pressure for the AMS-1000 so I am looking for something that hits hard! What do you guys think?

How much do you want to spend ?, to get the fast spool your probably going to want a divided exhaust housing with custom headers
you could do it with a Garrett gtx3582 and a .78 divided exhaust side
or more expensive the Borg Warner EFR 8374 with t4 flange .91 divided exhaust
BW may be a tighter fit but its supposed to spool a lot faster
my current build is with a BW , but i went the cheaper route with a s 362 , which will spool slower equivelant to a garrett 4088 , and its a bloody tight fit

I wud look at the Comp stuff Richard sells. they are terribly light and spool wicked fast with the triple BB option but get expensive with all the options. the BW stuff is sweet too like OZ suggested. pretty sure u can log shaft speed with the BW. not sure maybe OZ can clarify.

How much do you want to spend ?, to get the fast spool your probably going to want a divided exhaust housing with custom headers
you could do it with a Garrett gtx3582 and a .78 divided exhaust side
or more expensive the Borg Warner EFR 8374 with t4 flange .91 divided exhaust
BW may be a tighter fit but its supposed to spool a lot faster
my current build is with a BW , but i went the cheaper route with a s 362 , which will spool slower equivelant to a garrett 4088 , and its a bloody tight fit

I'm not to concerned with the price of the turbo as long as it isn't insanely higher, I figure this is most likely the last step for me in my quest for more power, so if one is $500-$700 more then another but much better I would do it. It is funny you mention the EFR, one of my car buddiess suggested that the other day as an alternative to the GTX series, but warned of it's larger dimensions. I'm glad to see you got it to work.

Getting it to work so far, long way from finished
it fits behind the front wheel, but i need an adaptor to move the oil filter ,
Iused my gt35r header jig but with t4 header plate to dummy up the headers and get an idea of where i wanted to run the pipes for split pulse
and was totally surprised when the S362 fitted just about perfect , hangs a little lower than a garrett on same headers and i have a scavenge pump on hand in case its needed
the EFR series look a bit bulkier with there inbuilt wastegate and BOV, but you would have more room available not needing an external gate , esp if your dumping the exhaust straight out the side
My LSR use needs the exhaust out the back so it all gets tighter and i will be compromising exhausrt flow a little stepping from 3.5 inch at the outlet to 3 inch exhaust
i expect this is bigger than the EFR , still to cut the compressor outlet , divided entry wastegate will go under no 4 exhaust in the space
IMG_0822_zpstdy9ytgr.jpg

You should talk to someone more familiar with the BW turbos, the smaller 7670 may even get to your target and have a lower boost threshold , this big bastard came about after running the Colorado mile and finding i was using all the power the US bike had by 3rd gear and it was time for a step up

Last edited by a moderator:
We put an open scroll Gtx3582 on the red and silver bike. That thing hits hard. While it didn't make 600hp yet, it did make 506 @25psi. At that point we were getting 25whp per psi, so at around 30psi you would be well over 600hp. This was also on our mustang dyno, with our head and cams package.

That is a beautiful setup OZ, I am very curious to see how the power comes on with that turbo.
Rob, it sounds like that bike is definitely capable of 600rwhp, are you still tuning it or did the customer want to stop after 500rwhp? I was recently informed that I might be over looking a couple things when it comes to sticking to manifold pressure instead of C02 - "hitting 600 with manifold pressure you cant use too small of turbo or backpressure will overcome gate pressure and it wont build much past 20psi or so" So I was advised to go with a twin entry 40r

No, haven't pushed it any harder. Our biggest problem was traction on the dyno. Being that it's an in ground dyno you have to get creative on how you position straps to make the tire bite the roller harder. That's what I spent most of Friday doing, modifying the dyno top plates for more mounting points. 3/8" diamond plate is a chore to work with.

Hey Rob what model mustang , i'm just finishing my ec997 fitting, planned for hp with 5/8 thread eye bolts replacing the domed allenhead bolts that secure the panels just in front of the roller to add to the std ratchet tie down points

Yes you will see the boost controller settings needing bigger numbers for same increment change when you get beyond the sweet spot of your combo

My apologies for saying but it is a misinformed question to begin with. You can stick a dirty great GTX42 on your bike & it will spool fast enough. just disconnect the feed pipe to the bottom of the gate & watch your bike flip up side down. Your issue with anything at 600hp is power control not power making because you will be trying to slow boost down not get it to go faster

Also to simply make a bike boost faster implies that the exhaust housing is too small which on a land speed bike could add a lot of unwanted heat into the cylinders from exhaust back pressure.

so at 35 psi you expect to make 700 hp?

We put an open scroll Gtx3582 on the red and silver bike. That thing hits hard. While it didn't make 600hp yet, it did make 506 @25psi. At that point we were getting 25whp per psi, so at around 30psi you would be well over 600hp. This was also on our mustang dyno, with our head and cams package.

Update** I found a deal to good to pass up. I ended up with a gt40r & twin scroll header. She should be going under the knife very soon. Now it has me considering big ex valves porting and intake cam, it never ends lol

I wud sure like to see that. post up the sheets wen u turn it up. that turbo does shine at higher boost levels. anything past 600 hp is just a dyno number imo and wud never push my bike past that. poop, anything past 550 hp is gonna be a handful on the street lol.

at those power levels its about chassis setup and gettn the power to the ground.

At 25hp per pound of boost its a possibility. Billet wheels really start to shine over 25psi.

That is a beautiful setup OZ, I am very curious to see how the power comes on with that turbo.
Rob, it sounds like that bike is definitely capable of 600rwhp, are you still tuning it or did the customer want to stop after 500rwhp? I was recently informed that I might be over looking a couple things when it comes to sticking to manifold pressure instead of C02 - "hitting 600 with manifold pressure you cant use too small of turbo or backpressure will overcome gate pressure and it wont build much past 20psi or so" So I was advised to go with a twin entry 40r

Can you elaborate on the manifold pressure and 'too small' of a turbo?

Im currently using manifold pressure on my 3582r setup. Mine is definitely laggy, but when it does come on- holy poop.

My AMS is currently set at
1. 8
2. 15
3. 25
4. 30
5. 35
6. 35

Which made just under 600rwhp

What is the main benefit of switching to co2?

instant gate pressure and control. u won't over boost either. you do not lose any control, spool-up etc if your using an external air source vs manifold pressure. run the smallest spring you can to make the least amount of boost with

Back