Smaller rear sprocket?

papi_ocho

Registered
Equals Better mpg?
Is that a safe assumption?

Factory 17/40
I'm looking at the 17/43 combo

BUT
I'm planning an iron butt next month and I don't want to do it on a 43 rear.

Is there a sprocket combo that will give me improved rideable MPG?

I asked justin for a chain and sprockets 4 months ago and things just kept coming up. Haven't really opened her up in that time either. But it's getting close to departure date and I need to make moves on this.

Justin: sorry for the delay. After I get some answers I will send you a pm with my contact info.

Sent from my super-duper wack tmobile device using tapatalk.

There are a few guys running the 18/40 combo for that reason. I'm currently running a 18/41 on my bike.

The 18/40 will give a tad better mileage all things being equal. I've ran many combos of 16-17-18 front with 39-40-41-42-43 on the rear. Mostly the 16s at the track. On the street I keep going back to the 18/40-41. My bike is not stock, however. But many guys with stock or stock with a full pipe, run that combo on long distance rides. It will put the speedometer pretty close to the right number as well.

I have a Gen II and am running 18/39 and love it. I plan to go to 19/39 next summer and think that would be the ideal set up for me. I currently get 50-52 MPG on the highway during my 120 mile round trip commute to work. The cruising RPM at 70 MPH is around 3800 and very smooth. I think going to 19/39 would bring it down to near 3600 or so and get my 5 MPG or so more.

Each person has their own set up that they like. You will see some replies to this talking trash about my set up, but they don't pay my bills and they certainly don't ride my bike. I love my Hayabusa and the cruise control + gearing makes it a very comfortable motorcycle to ride in my opinion.

Did my mpg lastnight 30.8 mainly highway @ about 90mph

Can I run 18or19 front on my genI?

How would they behave matched to a 43 rear? (certified cheap A$$) fronts are 11 bucks compared to rears @ 30+.

I run +1/0 (18/40 on the Gen I). HMF 4-2-1 Highmount. Will get ~45 mpg with the cruise control set around 70 mph.

I run Gen II with 19/40 and it is frikken awesome on the highway. It still runs great in acceleration and when running 80+ on the freeway it keeps the rpm a little lower and improves gas mileage. Also, my speedo is right on. Being it is a BKing, I only get 37 to 38 mpg on the freeway at 80 to 90mph. I am pushing a LOT of wieght and a lot of air. At 320 Im basically two up riding wieght and my body width/hieght stops air like a wall. Regardless, the Gen II motor pulls me with NO Problem!! I zip up to 120mph all the time. After 120 it starts getting a little windy on a naked bike! My HJC helmet hangs on for dear life! Oh and my rpm is 4000rpm = 78mph 5000rpm=98mph 6000rpm= 118mph 7000rpm= 138mph 8000rpm= 158 but its limited before that at 155. I have only had it to 140mph once as it takes a long, long emtpy road to get there. On the freeway, I run up on traffic too soon to get much over 130mph. Cruising at 4000 to 4400 is like sitting on your couch in the living room. The motor loves the new gearing!

Anyone? Anyone? 19 front on a first gen?

Will it fit without problems?

Yes. A 19 will fit under the stock cover and under most aftermarket covers. With a stock chain It should fit with 40-41 rears. I would guess a 43 would be out. A 42 would be close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back