Small Block Chevy Question

Skywalker

Donating Member
Registered
After approx 26 years my oil pan on the 70 Z28 has a few drips and started only about 1 year ago. Pretty darn good on cork. So, I do not want to pull the engine.... can but don't want to! I know most of all the particulars but need so opinions.... always good to have others views. So, I'm thinking about using my bottle jack and a small piece of wood and use the balancer as my jacking point. I worry about mashing or damaging a main bearing? Damage to crank.... would any of you been down this road before with the balancer as a jacking point? What say you? :whistle:

I wouldn't be concerned jacking it up there, but I'de put some blocks of wood between the block and motormounts. Never trust a jack.

Yea what 6pack said !! Or you can drive the car to TN and Leave it for for a Good long while , I'd fix it ..I'll call ya when finished. The 70z and 71z Camaro's are my favorite cars,..

If you have to use a jack, jack it up from the crank pulley not the actual balancer.

I've done that myself. But, like said above, throw something in there for support while your working on it.

Pan gasket already fugged. Put the jack under there(pan) with piece of plywood for protection,weight distribution. Unlock the motor mounts,lossen the trans to the support member for less strees at that point. jack to desired level,block up motor with wood blocks between mounts n motor.Do pan gasket. Lower back into place.

Better: Rent/borrow engine hoist/cherry picker. Raise and lower motor that way.Do pan job.Lower,tie it up,go for blast.

No more cardboard on shop floor.:thumbsup:

RSD.

Pan gasket already fugged. Put the jack under there(pan) with piece of plywood for protection,weight distribution. Unlock the motor mounts,lossen the trans to the support member for less strees at that point. jack to desired level,block up motor with wood blocks between mounts n motor.Do pan gasket. Lower back into place.

Better: Rent/borrow engine hoist/cherry picker. Raise and lower motor that way.Do pan job.Lower,tie it up,go for blast.

RSD.

DING DING winner!

Unbolt the drag link too and separate it from the tie rods ends, that will give you plenty more room to work under there.

I love the 701/2 Z-28, some magazines have called that car the fastest production car in America, that was years ago, but still........heck yeah it's fast

RSD.

+1....I wouldn't even think about putting that kinda stress on the crankshaft...

I would have to agree with Rubb on this one. Most rental places have engine hoists.

all these guys have good points, the bottle jack underneath will work, many chevy guys do it, but the better way is with a hoist one bolt in back of the block one is front and your good to go, plus motor mounts, its easy just clean that pan good and all the old gasket is removed take your time....
love the Z's.....

Well, could do that! Car and msyelf are originally from Knoxville just about 1 mile from Sevier County and Dolly Wood area. How soon can you get er done! LOL :laugh:
Yea what 6pack said !! Or you can drive the car to TN and Leave it for for a Good long while , I'd fix it ..I'll call ya when finished. The 70z and 71z Camaro's are my favorite cars,..

RSD, I may borrow a neighbors picker as he said tonight no problem to borrow it. Pull the hood and go from there.

RSD.

Thanks for all the inputs... neighbor up one block is a gear head and will let me borrow his Cherry Picker and I'll go that route. Thanks much for all the inputs as always good respons form the ORG FAM! Here is a pic or two of of blue. We have been together for 32 years now. :cheerleader::beerchug::laugh:

Seth Polishing Z28 1st Time Aug 29 2010 006.jpg

Seth Polishing Z28 1st Time Aug 29 2010 007.jpg

Seth Polishing Z28 1st Time Aug 29 2010 009.jpg

I think it is always a good idea to pull the fan and pulleys along with the radiator. Since you really need to pull the timing chain cover to do it right, it would be a great time to change the timing chain and the waterpump too if it has some miles on it. Flush the radiator and walla!:thumbsup:

That is a sweet car.
The 70 Z/28 is only year with the headrests on the low seats. All the others had the high back buckets.

Back