small battery maybe ok?

OB_notraction

Registered
small battery at www.powermitebattery.com should be ok to start our bikes provided that bike normally starts wihin 10 seconds, how is this so I hear you ask?

READ SLOWLY AND IT SHOULD SINK IN!

Our standard batt is a yuasa YT12A-BS which can supply 175amps at 7.2volts for 30 seconds at 0 degrees F (-18c) see tech specs at www.exideworld.com/autofaq.htm, now this little powermite batt claims its able to supply 200amps for 12 seconds (they dont state temp or volts though).Irrespective of that, while our starters are actually cranking, the battery voltage will drop to around 8 to 10 volts and current draw would be around the 150 amp mark +or- 30 or so amps, ok so far? Now they claim that powermite will supply 200 amps for 12 seconds! Now if it can also maintain a supply voltage of 8 to 10 volts at cranking while our starters are saying "gimme about 150 a's man & make sure its at about 8-10 v's sucker" then this little powermite batt will start the bike provided that it starts in less than 10 secs or so. Only downside of the powermite batt is that it will go flat quickly compared to our std. batt (10ah v 1ah this is reserve capacity!) and if your bikes a mongrel to start then the batt wont cop that either!

So, recapping all above , if you use it only to start your bike and dont leave the ignition or lights on without the bike running then you can save a few pounds in overall bike weight. YYAAWWNN to each his own.

So, Notraction, what are you saying? Is the lightweight battery a good thing or not??

I work in the electronics field, and have watched these batteries and that whole new technology developing.

Really, it is about time. Why carry around a box filled with lead and dangerous acid? Talk about the dark ages.

The new batteries have a lower internal resistance than a lead-acid battery. That means the voltage (and power delivered) WONT drop as much when cranking the motor. That will make the bike EASIER to start, as the motor will crank faster, and the coils will have more voltage to give you a better spark.

BUT, like you said, IF it doesn't start soon enough the battery will go flat quicker, it does have less capacity.

If I could buy one locally with little fuss, I would get one. Seems like a nice way to save weight and go high tech. It should have BETTER performance in every way that a lead acid battery, just not quite as much storage.
Does anyone have one?

question for me is...who has this battery for the best price?

also, how many of them would i have to buy to start selling?

if this product is as good as what i'm reading, then i may have additional interest!

frank....drgbike1@aol.com

I have met the guy selling these batteries at the AMA races. The batter will fit in the palm of you have real easy. They use these to start DUC's, so our stock busa's should be no problem.

He is the only one with this right now as far as I know. $250 + charger (don't know about the regulator).

Back