Slow speed!?

Rb05

Registered
New owner question

Why she not like going slow!? Haha Maybe she needs a tune up.
So 50km per hr (30 mile in south speak) is about the slowest she goes without lugging along. I’m not gona roll around in 1st gear for very long.
Just me?
Manual say to be in 6th gear by 60km (35?mph) Thats 2nd gear 3500 rpm not 6th!?
Also my wrists have taken a toll, hard to relax going so “slow“, easier when going 100mph to just melt into it.
Any advise

New owner question

Why she not like going slow!? Haha Maybe she needs a tune up.
So 50km per hr (30 mile in south speak) is about the slowest she goes without lugging along. I’m not gona roll around in 1st gear for very long.
Just me?
Manual say to be in 6th gear by 60km (35?mph) Thats 2nd gear 3500 rpm not 6th!?
Also my wrists have taken a toll, hard to relax going so “slow“, easier when going 100mph to just melt into it.
Any advise

Mine doesn’t lug in any gear as long as the revs are above 2-3k. Pulls strong. ( I ) don’t like riding it slow. :laugh: I’ve said before, downhill slow hairpins are not for me, or, the Busa with its weight and longer wheelbase. 95 or thereabouts is a comfy speed for me, holds me up and my hands are fine. Revs, not road speed should determine which gear to be in.

I don't get out of 4th unless I'm 100+kmh. For 50-60kmh, I'm in 2nd in traffic and 3rd if there's a clear run for a bit

Reactions: Zee
Right, second gear 3000 rpm. 2000 rpm seems a bit lurchy in second and first is just a starting gear. 3rd at 2000 feels good but that’s already 70kms

Right, second gear 3000 rpm. 2000 rpm seems a bit lurchy in second and first is just a starting gear. 3rd at 2000 feels good but that’s already 70kms

That lurch you feel could mean your throttle cables need adjusting. At slow speeds does it feel like a jerky motion from steady throttle to a higher throttle? FI doesn’t help but adjusting the ‘throttle snatch’ can help.

I don't think I ever see 2000 rpm except for a half a second when I take off. Maybe if I'm more or less costing to a stop sign I might run it that low. 2500 is too low of an rpm at any speed. It can do it when I want to just prowl along but I wouldn't try to accelerate hard at that engine speed. Only in first gear maybe. It could be the fueling. When I tuned my ZX-14 I got it to where I could go WOT in 6th gear from 2000 rpm. NIce and smooth once the fueling was right. I don't ever expect I'll need to go WOT from 2000 rpm but it was interesting that bike could be made to operate smoothly under those conditions.

(...)
Any advise

if wrists hurt after 15 minutes,
move to the superbike handlebar - best advise i can give.
i´m 6.4 tall and i know exactly what aching wrists mean - never again a busa or an other handlebar .
i chose the other bar and have never looked back because i looooooooooooooooooove the motor.
even a speed of over 270 km p h - on the highway - are easyly posssible

Any bike will lug if you are at a low rpm in the wrong gear.

My advice is to get in a gear where the bike doesn't lug anymore. My bike doesn't lug at all at 50kms/hr as I make sure it is in the correct gear. I can ride in 3rd at 50kms/hr and the rpm is low-not sure what it is as I listen to the engine and don't look at the tach.

When was the last time you did a tune up on your bike (plugs, air filter, fuel filter, etc)? Maybe it is time for one or all of these to be done.

Don't be scared to ride it in first as long as it isn't for miles on end. Being as im in the city I have to ride down low quite often, I did find going up 2 teeth in the rear did help the issue your having so u may wanna try adjusting your gearing if your having to ride slow like that a lot.

Any bike will lug if you are at a low rpm in the wrong gear.

My advice is to get in a gear where the bike doesn't lug anymore. My bike doesn't lug at all at 50kms/hr as I make sure it is in the correct gear. I can ride in 3rd at 50kms/hr and the rpm is low-not sure what it is as I listen to the engine and don't look at the tach.

When was the last time you did a tune up on your bike (plugs, air filter, fuel filter, etc)? Maybe it is time for one or all of these to be done.
Yes maybe, 17k kms, never plugs or fuel filter. Air filter changed at least once on record And 4 oil changes.

By lugging do you mean about to stall or wanting to pull too hard? Assuming you aren't stalling a Busa engine (pretty hard to do), If you have increased the gearing you may find 1st gear nearly useless as it just pulls too hard and the bike will buck if the throttle is not carefully dialed on. Another possibility is that someone has removed the butterflies as this will make low speed engine control notchy. I don't know much about this personally, but I seem to remember discussions on here about opening the throttle butterflies. Do a search on removal of secondary throttle butterflies.

Last edited:
Back