Slipping clutch?

mike774u

Donating Member
Registered
I was up at the Dragon this weekend and felt something new with my bike... Yeah I know bad place to find a problem with your bike!

Anyway, If I am in 2nd or 3rd and get on the throttle it feels like it slips then catches again. That slight slip though is a little scary in a tight turn. My bike is under warranty so i will be taking it in but thought it might be good to know some of the things it could be or if I even have to worry about it. I know it's not the rev limiter because it sometimes happens at like 5 or 7000 rpms.

Thanks,
Mike

How many miles do you have on it? If you are lucky it is the clutch slipping. If it only happens in 2nd gear you might have a tranny problem. Seems like the 2nd gear issue is starting to become more common around here..
sad.gif

Describe it more... are the revs jumping up without the bike accelerating, or are you losing power momentarily?

Also be sure that you are not putting pressure on the clutch lever with a couple of fingers. I've seen it a couple times now, customer comes in complaining that their clutch is slipping. Turns out it was his fingers that were slipping...

Sounds odd, but the Busa has a way of making you hold on more than you might think you are.
wink.gif

Just in case.

Make sure your chain is tight also. One way to check your clutch is to accelerate and then slowly pull the clutch in, it should rev up right away without much play. If you have to pull the clutch halfway in to get it to rev, it is bad.

it is almost like I lose power for a split second. I know i'm not hitting the clutch by mistake. I just had a new tire put on it Thursday. The Chain seems to be in good shape. I have only had the bike 4 months and it now has 8,600 miles on it. I put all but 133 of those miles on it. I know you all love to see pics so here are some...I am loving these since this was my frist trip to the dragon
smile.gif

Dragon8.jpg

Dragon7.jpg

Dragon1.jpg

Dragon.jpg

If the rpm's go up for that split second it slips your looking for something past the engine ie clutch, shift forks, trans, gears, chain, tire, ect. If the rpm's go down or the engine bogs out, your looking more at fuel or spark or engine. Hope it helps.

mike774u does it feel like it's skipping a tooth under heavy load in the bottom of 2nd gear? PM me for more info.

If you just put a new tire on, it could be spinning. Be careful with new tires on a busa!

If you just put a new tire on, it could be spinning.  Be careful with new tires on a busa!
Well I was able to get in a couple hundred miles on it before I hit the curves. The way it had a loss of power then a slight jump when it came back makes me think maybe it could be fuel related. Also on Thursday they changed my plugs and oil. When they get some screws in that i ordered I will take it there and let them mull it over.

If the rpm's go up for that split second it slips your looking for something past the engine ie clutch, shift forks, trans, gears, chain, tire, ect. If the rpm's go down or the engine bogs out, your looking more at fuel or spark or engine. Hope it helps.
Umm, actually it sounds a whole lot like tire slippage! Would happen quite a bit on the Bridgestones, and still happens on dead cold Metzlers... Slip slip....

use some type of medium brush or brillo pad to scuff that baby up, especially the outer edge. even though your tire was worn in the center a bit, you have to consider that the "strips" are still factory coated which is a guarantee "slide out".

I also have an 06 limited busa doing the same thing. It turns out to be the second gear shift fork, just like everyone has been saying, but here's the kicker. My bike had just under 5000 miles on it when this problem got too bad to drive, so I took it to the dealer for what I thought would be warranty repairs. After several calls, arguments with the warranty department they finaly decided to cover the parts but not the labor, sticking me with the bill. I picked up my bike last week and babied it until this morning. After washing it I took it out on the road to dry and when I twisted the throttle back in second gear it did it again, after only 600 miles since an almost complete trans. rebuild. Talk about feeling sick.

Im having the same F$*(ing problem with My 06 LE.. is it something about this Bike
rock.gif

I took mine to the dealer and all they wanted to know was where was the paperwork for for My 600 mile Rip-Off.. oops i meant check-up. Even after showing them the reciepts i was told that this was a condition called the "2nd Gear Blues" and it was something that the warranty would NOT cover and would cost about $2200 to "Find Out and Fix" I had about 6k miles on the bike when this started and now i have 9k... Its not getting any better

Ugh... I've got the same thing on my 06. 2200 miles.
Sigh. Time to call the dealer.
argue.gif

Back