slipping clutch !

RTanner

Registered
So I just bought a built big bore bike and changed out the oil with royal purple 10w30, not motorcycle specific out anything. Now my clutch is slipping badly. Unfortunately I only rode it once before I changed oil and didn't test clutch out. Is there any chance the oil is causing this? Supposedly the engine only has 300 miles on build.......?
Posted via Mobile Device

So I just bought a built big bore bike and changed out the oil with royal purple 10w30, not motorcycle specific out anything. Now my clutch is slipping badly. Unfortunately I only rode it once before I changed oil and didn't test clutch out. Is there any chance the oil is causing this? Supposedly the engine only has 300 miles on build.......?
Posted via Mobile Device

I've been using Royal Purple in my bike since 2500 miles with zero issues, it's not the oil. You most likely now just have enough power to finish off what's left of your clutch.

Don't have an answer for that one.
:tiptoe:

Oh, which Royal Purple are you using? Max-Cycle (the one made for bikes)?

Don't have an answer for that one.
:tiptoe:

Oh, which Royal Purple are you using? Max-Cycle (the one made for bikes)?

I know you're asking him, but I use regular 10w40. There's no difference in performance, even if they claim the motorcycle kind is better for clutches. And I'm hard on a bike.

I was gonna try changing the oil to mobil 1 for bikes, but maybe I'll just buy a new
clutch
Posted via Mobile Device

I was gonna try changing the oil to mobil 1 for bikes, but maybe I'll just buy a new
clutch
Posted via Mobile Device

Folks will argue which oil is best to no end, that's a personal choice. I assure you if you change it now your problem will remain. Replace the clutch.:beerchug:

Who's clutch kit do you guys recommend for almost 275 hp to the wheel on N2O?
Posted via Mobile Device

It's the oil...the 10w-30 has friction modifiers that gum up the clutch. The 10w-40 max cycle is the one for bikes.
Posted via Mobile Device

For real? Anybody else wanna confirm this? I'm about to pull the trigger on a new clutch. But not if I can just change the oil out!
Posted via Mobile Device

Back