Slippage

lllsyntaxlll

Donating Member
Registered
Hi all,

Props on a sweet boad and good community!

I've had the 99 for a season now and have a question about some slippage that just popped up.

Some backgound, its a 99 with just over 10k miles I bought it with 9k. Full service book from a Suzi Dealer in Germany. Just had the center stand intalled, oil, and new rubber (Battleax).

Now I have an issue with what seems like slippage. When I really lay into her it seems as if the rear slips but I dont think I'm breaking traction. Its almost as if the transmission/clutch slips.

I was looking for input on how I can diagnose this before I'm standing beside the road wating for a tow.

Also, I hear there was a cam-chain warranty issue? I searched the board but came up with zilch.

Thanks,
-C

I would put my money on the tire spinning. Especially if you notice it in first gear or when the bike/tire are cold.

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>+1 !</span> I used to think the same thing .....realized it was a cold tire . Always happened in 1st or 2nd , under heavy acceleration .

Ahhh cold tire... thats probably it! I cant think of it happening in the course of a normal days riding. Last time I was out it was a bit damp and today I just shot over to the gas station for a soda. Both times this would have been cold tire situations.

What a beast! And I thought I had serious problems ;)

<!--EDIT|lllsyntaxlll
Reason for Edit: "spelling... man i suck at spelling"|1152634153 -->

Be very careful on a cold tire!!! I have seen guys go down hard on a cold tire.

Could be cold tire, could be fuel pump. My pump just went and I thought it was the clutch slipping at 7k - 8krpms.

Hope its just the tire spinning....

yes... but I can be in 2nd all day long without any slippage... its something about the change. Whcih in that case the wheelspin seems to be a logical answer.

You have diffrent thoughts?

thanks,
-C

<!--EDIT|lllsyntaxlll
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152639154 -->

yes... but I can be in 2nd all day long without any slippage... its something about the change. Whcih in that case the wheelspin seems to be a logical answer.

thanks,
-C
Yhea I think your 2nd gear dogs are going out ( bent ).
Hmm I tore apart an ATC 70 for the same reason... never did get it back together.

How common is this on the Busa? Am I guilty of Squidly abuse?

<!--EDIT|lllsyntaxlll
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152640607 -->

Ever miss second gear and go into neutral? If so, don't force it back into gear. Slow down to almost a stop and then go to first. If you force it into gear while moving fast, you can cause damage.

thanks,
-C
Yhea I think your 2nd gear dogs are going out ( bent ).
Hmm I tore apart an ATC 70 for the same reason... never did get it back together.

How common is this on the Busa? Am I guilty of Squidly abuse?
Hahahaha maybe you can use those parts now!
biggrin.gif

Ever miss second gear and go into neutral?  If so, don't force it back into gear.  Slow down to almost a stop and then go to first.  If you force it into gear while moving fast, you can cause damage.
Dammit that just shook loose a memory from this last ride.

I was on the Polish border... I suddenly found myself in neutral. I rember this well because the Busa has never missed a beat and it shocked the hell out of me.

I had slippage in 2nd on my 02 . It felt like the chain was jumping a tooth, unfortunately it was the 2nd gear shifter links.

Back