Slippage Problem

mike774u

Donating Member
Registered
So this is my problem....

I has a jerking, slip, rev up problem with my 06 Busa when it hit 8,500 miles. Well I took it in and they said it sounded as if the clutch was slipping (clutch not being a part covered under warranty). Well I paid $300 and the problem is still there. Now it seems to only be in 2nd gear above 4000rpms. Well the dealer contacted Suzuki and they said it sounds like I have a flat spot in my drive shaft or some sort of shaft inside the transmission. Well the dealer quoted me a price of $1000-$1500 just to open it and see if they can find the issue. And of course Suzuki won't cover it unless it is some sort of defective part.

now I don't race my bike, never been to the drag strip. This is my first bike ever and I'm not out stunting on it. I ride it to and from work which is 9 miles, take it to the mountains every once in a while, once to the dragon and for the most part the 10,500 miles that is on it has been me learning how to ride. I don't do burn outs or ride on the clutch. Wow I feel like I am having to defend my riding style but that's how it is. I have dropped it a few times and only once going about 15mph, that was at my very beginning stages of learning to ride. I know 10,500 miles is a lot to put on a bike in 5 months but is something like this normal? Anyone have any experience with this sort of problem? Anyone in the Atlanta area that knows of someone that can fix it cheaper than the $1000-$1500 I was already quoted?

thanks
Mike

sounds like your clutch needs to be pulled back out and oiled and make sure the stack height is right,seems like it may need a thicked fiber in place of one of the thin ones and problem should disappear...try it in third at a lower rpm and see if it does it.

(GoldenChild @ Oct. 04 2006,14:00) try it in third at a lower rpm and see if it does it.
I have and it doesn't do it. I have tried it in every gear now and the only time I can get it tp happen is in 2nd gear at 4000 rpms and above. As soon as i go into 3rd no more slipping. Before I had the new clutch put in it was happening 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Now it is only 2nd.

I wish i was there to help you,not much i can do this far away but seems odd,no 1st but 2 and no others.

Oh on another board someone refreshed my memory as to what is wrong.
Suzuki said it is probably a bad shift fork/gear dog on second gear.
This is what was said on the other board.. sounds pretty feasible..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR

I think your problem is the transmission. You didn't say much except that it is mainly in second gear. that points to a tranny issue and not a clutch issue. if it was a clutch it'd be in all gears (specifically first and second where you have a lot of torque going thru the box). I think you have a bad shift fork/gear dog on second gear. does it feel like when you get on the gas in second gear at higher rpm's that it is "skipping a tooth"? if so that's problems with your shift fork and actual gear inside the transmission. big $$$ to fix and 95% of the time not covered under warranty. IMHO that is what your problem is, but I could be wrong. some bikes are more notorious for this issue than others and I have no idea about a busa but ask someone who drag races one what they do to the transmission to keep it running.

Jerking slip in 2nd only, no slip in the high gears. Sounds more like the rounded dogs and/or bent fork. Slipping should get worse in higher gears.

GC Are you swapping an outside fiber to the inside to increase the stack height? I was thinking about it but was going to look at what the inside diameter of the outer fiber would be riding on. The surface are of the friction is the same. The service manual shows 1-4 of the thicker of the driven plates (steels). Going with 4 would only gain .020 -.023â€￾ over the stock 2 thick plates. Have you used more than 4 steels or the thicker fiber? The fiber change would add .030â€￾ to the stack.

I was trying to figure out if you had a bumping feeling or it was slipping..the bumping feeling is a bent shift fork/dog going bad..slipping is like going from 4k up to 7-8k then falling down when you let out of the gas.

(Professor @ Oct. 04 2006,16:27) Jerking slip in 2nd only, no slip in the high gears. Sounds more like the rounded dogs and/or bent fork. Slipping should get worse in higher gears.

GC Are you swapping an outside fiber to the inside to increase the stack height? I was thinking about it but was going to look at what the inside diameter of the outer fiber would be riding on. The surface are of the friction is the same. The service manual shows 1-4 of the thicker of the driven plates (steels). Going with 4 would only gain .020 -.023â€￾ over the stock 2 thick plates. Have you used more than 4 steels or the thicker fiber? The fiber change would add .030â€￾ to the stack.
I always get a couple extra of each to have on hand but you can increase it and that doesn't sound like much but it does make a difference in there.We use which ever we have at the moment as long as it gets height correct...I have even used 2 steels back to back to achieve it.LOL...the games we play to drag race..

My clutch started slipping at the last race. I’m shooting for a 2.00 stack on the new stuff I’m putting in. 4 thick steels will get me to 1.995. My old plates are within tolerance but the total stack is 1.91. I can bring it to stock height with all 9 thick steels. I’m trying to build a spare and bag it with oil so I have a spare with me.
The stock springs lost .050 in height over a new set. I have a set of Barnett’s as well. I’m not too fond of using the .180 spacers from the clutch mod. I’m going to put a few combinations in a valve spring tester to see what I can come up with. Hopefully, I can get it in the ballpark. I really don’t want any more lever pull than what the stock ones with the spaces had.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jerking, slip rev is what made me think it was like this one.

A slip is usually smooth.

(Professor @ Oct. 04 2006,19:05) Jerking, slip rev is what made me think it was like this one.

A slip is usually smooth.
Thanks! that sounds just like my problem.. now I have some other things to check
smile.gif
good looking out!!

I have the exact same problem. 06' Busa limited with only 3k miles on it. My dealership contacted suzuki and said it was the 2nd gear fork or something like that. Supposedly the torque in second gear causes the bike to slip in and out of that gear. Getting mine fixed under warranty. phew

(VegasBusaGreg @ Oct. 04 2006,20:07) I have the exact same problem. 06' Busa limited with only 3k miles on it. My dealership contacted suzuki and said it was the 2nd gear fork or something like that. Supposedly the torque in second gear causes the bike to slip in and out of that gear. Getting mine fixed under warranty. phew
Would you mind sending me a message or post up who is doing your work for you? Maybe I can give them a call and they could let me know who to contact at Suzuki. This is crazy that they are saying it isn't covered under warranty.

Back