Slip ons ???

I believe that the backfiring that I was getting was probably happening all along. The only difference is that the rs 3 race pipes were letting through what the stockers wouldn't. The stockers are more restrictive than the rs3's. The reason I could tell is when I held up the stock can I couldn't see through it. When I held up the rs 3 I could. But what I don't get is if the pair wasn't causing the backfiring, how come the backfiring pretty much stopped when I removed it. Perhaps it was.

Just a little info. Perhaps your backfiring is due to a less restrictive exhaust system. Have your timing checked, and possibly you should look into some new Mapping for your EFI. All backfiring is very dangerous, the immense pressures can and will blow your head gasket and could bend or burn valves badly. I hope this helps, someone.

J

the rest of my bike is stock as far as engine management. you guys that had the backfiring, did you have any other work done to your bike ?

the back fire is more due to the sound wave of the exhaust pulse.
remove the Pair even on a stock bike all it does is fool the Goverment to think the bike is running leaner than it is.
this is the old trick Kawasaki has been using from 78-
and all cars with Air Pumps

Alright, In a four stroke engine sound waves do nothing other than make noise. Listen closely, any and all backfiring can be traced to a fuel delivery or ignition problem. Really, think, excess fuel+hot pipe=backfire. This is all basic stuff. I realize that we are not all mechanics outhere, but those of us that are............ Just get the stuff checked or you will be sorry, the PAIR valve is there for a reason. Curing the symptom does not alleviate the problem. Less restriction in the exhaust system will have an effect on the EFI system. TRUST ME. Backfiring in an engine with any sort of decent compression is very dangerous.

Hmm...someone other than myself said something about the back pressure... I would really like to know!

As for the slip ons they caused backfire for me at sea level. But I didn't get any backfire when my bike was at 5000' above sea level in New Mexico. So my GUESS (which you probably don't wanna hear) if you live in high alititude you won't have to worry about the pair valve...BUT if you live on the coastal (low altitude) you're going to need a some block off plates.

Either way get the slip ons and get the $20 dollar block off plates. You can't go wrong.

Alright, In a four stroke engine sound waves do nothing other than make noise.  Listen closely, any and all backfiring can be traced to a fuel delivery or ignition problem.  Really, think, excess fuel+hot pipe=backfire.  This is all basic stuff.  I realize that we are not all mechanics outhere, but those of us that are............  Just get the stuff checked or you will be sorry, the PAIR valve is there for a reason.  Curing the symptom does not alleviate the problem.  Less restriction in the exhaust system will have an effect on the EFI system.  TRUST ME.  Backfiring in an engine with any sort of decent compression is very dangerous.
True but the sound wave is what caused the extra cold air to enter the rear of the muffler
This does not happen with stock set up due to the end is capped (can't suck air in back through the end of muffler)

Hmm...someone other than myself said something about the back pressure...  I would really like to know!  

As for the slip ons they caused backfire for me at sea level.  But I didn't get any backfire when my bike was at 5000' above sea level in New Mexico.  So my GUESS (which you probably don't wanna hear) if you live in high alititude you won't have to worry about the pair valve...BUT if you live on the coastal (low altitude) you're going to need a some block off plates.  

Either way get the slip ons and get the $20 dollar block off plates.  You can't go wrong.
you know of any sites where i can order the block off plates ?

The problem is pretty clear.

The PAIR injects air (oxygen) into the headers to mix with unburnt fuel to reduce hydrocarbon (HC) levels. The heat in the header is more than enough to ignite this mixture. After you close the throttle to start a deceleration the mixture goes even richer (high RPM and closed throttle). This pumps fuel into the headers. The PAIR adds air. The header adds heat and BANG, it backfires when the mix reaches the proper proportions. Removing the PAIR removes the oxygen and prevents the backfires. The rich mixture still exists however and should be tuned out. Thor is right about the less restrictive exhaust - they are better at scavenging the mixture from each cylinder so an already rich condition will load up the headers with more fuel on decel resulting in a bigger bang. Fatsac is right too. Altitude is another factor to determine how much total fuel is injected into the engine. Higher Altitude will result in lower overall fuel in the exhaust and less chance for backfire.

The thing to remember is that the explosion can happen when another cylinder's exhaust valve is open. The momentary extreme back pressure through that open valve can blow out gaskets over repeated explosions and also puts pressure on the up-moving piston. It is bad on the engine even if it is not catastrophic.

If for no other reason, the PAIR needs to go because it weighs 2 and a half pounds!

There is a place to get pair valves for as low as $20 now.  I picked it up from an individual I'll leave nameless at this time.  

Reaperracing@hotmail.com  

I've seen them on line from $34 - $44.  Mine I bought was $34 w/ $6 shipping.  From the above address you should be able to get them $20 shipped.  I can't confirm this.  

I got them from here http://www.inturace.com/  But I see they lowered the prices on them.  Now $27.95.
This was earlier in this post. Enjoy your new toy! Please tell us how you like your slip ons!!

Very easy, especially if you get bolt-on types that directly replace the stock cans. Three nuts and a hanger bolt per can is all there is to it. You don't even have to remove the fairings.

You may not need the block off plates, get the slip ons, have your engine properly tuned after you install them and see what you get. Probably a very smooth running engine. If you do decide to ditch the PAIR valve, be sure to get your mapping changed no matter what you do with the block off plates. Just another note, without the block off plate you may also see a bigger increase in HP and Torque. Proper tuning can save you time and money later. Remember hot rodding cars? No emission control at all, I have a 1971 Camaro that runs cleaner than most new ones. It's all in the tuning.

J

I mistyped. If you ditch the pair valve, and put in block off plates, you are adding restriction to your exhaust system. Defeating the purpose of the aftermarket exhaust. Ditch the Block off plates too. Get your bike tuned properly. With a free breathing system you will see more HP and Torque. Sorry my bad. I am doing 2 things at once. 10 month old son needed crackers!

I mistyped.  If you ditch the pair valve, and put in block off plates, you are adding restriction to your exhaust system.  Defeating the purpose of the aftermarket exhaust.  Ditch the Block off plates too.  Get your bike tuned properly.  With a free breathing system you will see more HP and Torque.  Sorry my bad.  I am doing 2 things at once.  10 month old son needed crackers!
That maks no sense?
rock.gif
suspect.gif
suspect.gif

suspect.gif

Ok Cheeseman,
I will keep it very simple, and I will type slowly so you can understand. The whole point to an aftermarket exhaust is to reduce your back pressure, which makes your bike "breathe" better. The faster you get air/fuel mix into your bike, and back out, you get more power and torque. This only holds true if your EFI is tuned to not be overly rich. Too rich and you get backfires from the fuel entering the hot header. To put block off plates into this system adds restriction, which can interfere with power production. Why bother spending money on a power producing exhaust, if you are going to put block offs into it? Let me know if I can further clarify this for you. Now go back and read it again slowly. Learn how to spell while you are at it.

J
grim.gif

Back