Slip on's?

Very nice shot of your bike!
Here's a tip . . .
If you decrease exhaust resistance with a high flow muffler (getting rid of baffles and smaller diameter piping in stock muffler) it will de-restrict exhaust flow, that's good . . . so . .
1) it is beneficial to also de-restrict intake airflow to match the exhaust with a high flow air filter,
2) with better airflow the air to fuel ratio needs to be addressed to keep that at an optimal ratio. (tuning)
3) The best thing you can do to your bike after these mods is to have it dyno tuned, with a Power Commander (fuel controller) fitted in line with the bike's computer (ECU) to facilitate this action,
But, as Mr Brown correctly stated you can simply add a slip on exhaust without doing any other mods (tuning) no problem.
But if you wanna really sharpen things up, follow the steps above :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. I want to keep the power or increase power, but not have to pay an arm and a leg. I'm not one to take short cuts just to keep it cheap. So that's why I'm asking. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info. I want to keep the power or increase power, but not have to pay an arm and a leg. I'm not one to take short cuts just to keep it cheap. So that's why I'm asking. Thanks again.

I've seen several full systems on Ebay for good prices. I'd get one but I have no immediate desire to tune my bike and I prefer the dual mufflers. For what it's worth, I'm switching out my K&N air filter for an OEM filter. I'll probably stop using K&N oil filters as well.

Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it. I didn't even think about changing the air filter, so glad I asked....

Does anyone have any recommendations for a gen 1. What did you buy?
2. Roughly how much did it cost?

Oh, for what it's worth. The look I want to go with is shorter pipes and black. I like the dual pipes, I just want to make them a little smaller.

I would like the bike to be a little louder also, but like I said im not looking for a huge performance boost. Just something that looks and sounds good and not going hurt the engine by taking a short cut.

Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it. I didn't even think about changing the air filter, so glad I asked....

Does anyone have any recommendations for a gen 1. What did you buy?
2. Roughly how much did it cost?

I bought GPR slip ons with my old Gen 1. Really liked them.

20170411_170030.jpg

It should be said that race filters flow more air because they hypothetically trap less dirt. Filters like K & N use oil to trap more dirt while not restricting flow. Look at the stock filter and it is quite a bit more constricted. Race filters assume power is more important to you than ultimate engine protection, so they are thinner and don't perform as a filter as well as stock. I think people think "race" and assume the filters are better than stock, which is not the goal of a race filter.

All that being said, I use a K&N. I clean and oil it every 500 miles or so, I'm not sure what the K & N guys say about maintenance on the filter. I have not ever seen a lot of junk that got past the filter. But things like thin sand (like desert sand) apparently can get through.

So my point is if the stock filter will work for you, and you aren't doing anything to the bike to make use of additional air flow, stay with the stock filter. It's cheaper and works better as a filter of junk from the intake of your engine.

There can also be significant differences between race filters. I am told the K & N filter is one of the lowest flowing of the aftermarket filters. So if you get your bike tuned, stay with that filter. All of this is very conservative. There are probably people out there who have run for thousands of miles with no filter at all, or torn filters. Likewise there are guys with race filters who never service them so the bike is literally choking! As we all know, what is best practice is often much more than what you can probably get away with!

It should be said that race filters flow more air because they hypothetically trap less dirt. Filters like K & N use oil to trap more dirt while not restricting flow. Look at the stock filter and it is quite a bit more constricted. Race filters assume power is more important to you than ultimate engine protection, so they are thinner and don't perform as a filter as well as stock. I think people think "race" and assume the filters are better than stock, which is not the goal of a race filter.

All that being said, I use a K&N. I clean and oil it every 500 miles or so, I'm not sure what the K & N guys say about maintenance on the filter. I have not ever seen a lot of junk that got past the filter. But things like thin sand (like desert sand) apparently can get through.

So my point is if the stock filter will work for you, and you aren't doing anything to the bike to make use of additional air flow, stay with the stock filter. It's cheaper and works better as a filter of junk from the intake of your engine.

There can also be significant differences between race filters. I am told the K & N filter is one of the lowest flowing of the aftermarket filters. So if you get your bike tuned, stay with that filter. All of this is very conservative. There are probably people out there who have run for thousands of miles with no filter at all, or torn filters. Likewise there are guys with race filters who never service them so the bike is literally choking! As we all know, what is best practice is often much more than what you can probably get away with!
Makes sense. I think I was kinda over analyzing it all. But that definitely helps. Thanks

Back