Slip on or full system?  Please help!

kbhay

Registered
I have owned my 2002 for 1 year now and finally feel like I can crank the throttle WFO without needing an adult diaper!

Now, I want to start shoppng for an exhaust system that sounds more interesting them the stock exhaust. I have never changed the factory exhaust on any bike I have owned.

Can someone tell me the difference in sound between a slip on and a full exhaust. I believe that slip ons will give you better sound but a full exhaust will give you the sound and performance.

1. What is the best sounding slip on?
2. Do I need to remap the engine if just a slip on is installed?

Thanks everyone for your help!!!

I have owned my 2002 for 1 year now and finally feel like I can crank the throttle WFO without needing an adult diaper!

Now, I want to start shoppng for an exhaust system that sounds more interesting them the stock exhaust. I have never changed the factory exhaust on any bike I have owned.

Can someone tell me the difference in sound between a slip on and a full exhaust. I believe that slip ons will give you better sound but a full exhaust will give you the sound and performance.

2. Do I need to remap the engine if just a slip on is installed?

here come the answers...shouldd be lots of 'em .

"Most" slip-ons dont need a re-map .
"Most" full sys. do .
Sound differences are huge between slip on/full...diff.full sys...diff slip ons . Some are way loud....some arent.
The best sounding slip on ? Thats a personal preference thing . Gettin people to describe the sound their bike makes may/may not do it for ya . When u see a Busa with an aftermarket set-up , ask the dude for a listen , maybe rev it up a little , see if u like.....

Personally....I thought about slip-ons...then realized that ONE DAY....I would want a full system...for added HP .
So....why buy both ? right .

Installation...you've never done this before . I'd get some help if I were you .
You'll want to remove the Pair .
Exhaust headpipe bolts can be a drag to remove(rust,etc).
Full system needs a PCIII in your case . Needs to be mapped . Not hard , but not totally easy either .

The pro's : sounds better,way lighter(my full hindle weighs like 9 pounds,stock is I dunno, 50 pounds) , it will handle better(less sprung weight), hp goes up a little(bit or none with slipons, bit more with a full , bit more again with a full race ) . Looks better if u ask me . You can go 4-2-2,4-2-1 ,etc,depending on if ya want a pipe out each side .

The con's: .... cost big $ , yer neirbours could get pissed @ ya if u go full D&D or similar , likely you will lose some bottom end , I'm tryin' to write maps right now to get rid of the bottom end hiccups . This is a hassle for some,I kind of enjoy it .
Like most mods , there are +'s an' -'s...
if yer happy with the way she runs an' dont mind the looks,leave 'er be . This is NOT a cheap ($) mod .

Have a good one man.....O ya....if yer a poor bastid like me and are "Laptop-Less" then you have to wheel yer scooter into the house to plug it into yer PC....hee hee hee

inside.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey RSD,

I have the product for you. I just bought the Factory Pro TEKA SFI which reprograms the stock ECU. No add-on box at all. It eliminates the PCs, Maps, Laptops/cables, etc. The unit disconnects from the bike after you are done reprogramming. Easy, fast and accurate.

I wrote a report on my experience with it in the"Modifications" board. The title of the post is New Toy. Take a look. At least you won't have to roll the bike into the house anymore.
biggrin.gif

Rod

Hey RSD,

I have the product for you. I just bought the Factory Pro TEKA SFI which reprograms the stock ECU. No add-on box at all. It eliminates the PCs, Maps, Laptops/cables, etc. The unit disconnects from the bike after you are done reprogramming. Easy, fast and accurate.

I wrote a report on my experience with it in the"Modifications" board. The title of the post is New Toy. Take a look. At least you won't have to roll the bike into the house anymore.
biggrin.gif

Rod
hey THX Rod.....ya gotta love "The Smart One's" .

Now, I want to start shoppng for an exhaust system that sounds more interesting them the stock exhaust.  I have never changed the factory exhaust on any bike I have owned.  

Can someone tell me the difference in sound between a slip on and a full exhaust.  I believe that slip ons will give you better sound but a full exhaust will give you the sound and performance.  

2.  Do I need to remap the engine if just a slip on is installed?

Hey Welcome,

The whole pipe thing comes up pretty often. Hunt around the board a bit and you will see a lot of threads dealing with just your issues.

Thinker62 has Micron Bolt ons that he is happy with. He also mentioned that they aren't too LOUD.

There is a poll on the board somewhere right now that asks the question which pipe is best, that might help.

Myself? Well I think I will probably end up with slip ons as I am still under warranty and do not want to give the dealer any excuses if something breaks. I am thinking Micron, or Yoshimura cans based on what I have seen and heard here on the boards will be just the ticket I am looking for. More sound, without all the hassle.

BUT, one thing to consider is that dual slip ons will cost allmost as much as a full system with a single can. Just a thought.

Back