Slip on or full system?  Please help!

kbhay

Registered
I have owned my 2002 for 1 year now and finally feel like I can crank the throttle WFO without needing an adult diaper!

Now, I want to start shoppng for an exhaust system that sounds more interesting them the stock exhaust. I have never changed the factory exhaust on any bike I have owned.

Can someone tell me the difference in sound between a slip on and a full exhaust. I believe that slip ons will give you better sound but a full exhaust will give you the sound and performance.

1. What is the best sounding slip on?
2. Do I need to remap the engine if just a slip on is installed?

Thanks everyone for your help!!!

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
I have owned my 2002 for 1 year now and finally feel like I can crank the throttle WFO without needing an adult diaper!

Now, I want to start shoppng for an exhaust system that sounds more interesting them the stock exhaust. I have never changed the factory exhaust on any bike I have owned.

Can someone tell me the difference in sound between a slip on and a full exhaust. I believe that slip ons will give you better sound but a full exhaust will give you the sound and performance.

2. Do I need to remap the engine if just a slip on is installed?

here come the answers...shouldd be lots of 'em .

"Most" slip-ons dont need a re-map .
"Most" full sys. do .
Sound differences are huge between slip on/full...diff.full sys...diff slip ons . Some are way loud....some arent.
The best sounding slip on ? Thats a personal preference thing . Gettin people to describe the sound their bike makes may/may not do it for ya . When u see a Busa with an aftermarket set-up , ask the dude for a listen , maybe rev it up a little , see if u like.....

Personally....I thought about slip-ons...then realized that ONE DAY....I would want a full system...for added HP .
So....why buy both ? right .

Installation...you've never done this before . I'd get some help if I were you .
You'll want to remove the Pair .
Exhaust headpipe bolts can be a drag to remove(rust,etc).
Full system needs a PCIII in your case . Needs to be mapped . Not hard , but not totally easy either .

The pro's : sounds better,way lighter(my full hindle weighs like 9 pounds,stock is I dunno, 50 pounds) , it will handle better(less sprung weight), hp goes up a little(bit or none with slipons, bit more with a full , bit more again with a full race ) . Looks better if u ask me . You can go 4-2-2,4-2-1 ,etc,depending on if ya want a pipe out each side .

The con's: .... cost big $ , yer neirbours could get pissed @ ya if u go full D&D or similar , likely you will lose some bottom end , I'm tryin' to write maps right now to get rid of the bottom end hiccups . This is a hassle for some,I kind of enjoy it .
Like most mods , there are +'s an' -'s...
if yer happy with the way she runs an' dont mind the looks,leave 'er be . This is NOT a cheap ($) mod .

Have a good one man.....O ya....if yer a poor bastid like me and are "Laptop-Less" then you have to wheel yer scooter into the house to plug it into yer PC....hee hee hee

inside.jpg

SierraFlyer

Registered
Hey RSD,

I have the product for you. I just bought the Factory Pro TEKA SFI which reprograms the stock ECU. No add-on box at all. It eliminates the PCs, Maps, Laptops/cables, etc. The unit disconnects from the bike after you are done reprogramming. Easy, fast and accurate.

I wrote a report on my experience with it in the"Modifications" board. The title of the post is New Toy. Take a look. At least you won't have to roll the bike into the house anymore.
biggrin.gif

Rod

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
Hey RSD,

I have the product for you. I just bought the Factory Pro TEKA SFI which reprograms the stock ECU. No add-on box at all. It eliminates the PCs, Maps, Laptops/cables, etc. The unit disconnects from the bike after you are done reprogramming. Easy, fast and accurate.

I wrote a report on my experience with it in the"Modifications" board. The title of the post is New Toy. Take a look. At least you won't have to roll the bike into the house anymore.
biggrin.gif

Rod
hey THX Rod.....ya gotta love "The Smart One's" .

Revlis

Re-Recycled, Busa-Less...
Donating Member
Registered

Now, I want to start shoppng for an exhaust system that sounds more interesting them the stock exhaust.  I have never changed the factory exhaust on any bike I have owned.  

Can someone tell me the difference in sound between a slip on and a full exhaust.  I believe that slip ons will give you better sound but a full exhaust will give you the sound and performance.  

2.  Do I need to remap the engine if just a slip on is installed?

Hey Welcome,

The whole pipe thing comes up pretty often. Hunt around the board a bit and you will see a lot of threads dealing with just your issues.

Thinker62 has Micron Bolt ons that he is happy with. He also mentioned that they aren't too LOUD.

There is a poll on the board somewhere right now that asks the question which pipe is best, that might help.

Myself? Well I think I will probably end up with slip ons as I am still under warranty and do not want to give the dealer any excuses if something breaks. I am thinking Micron, or Yoshimura cans based on what I have seen and heard here on the boards will be just the ticket I am looking for. More sound, without all the hassle.

BUT, one thing to consider is that dual slip ons will cost allmost as much as a full system with a single can. Just a thought.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Slip on vs Full System Gen II Busa Information 77
T Yoshimura R77 Slip Ons vs Full System Sound? Gen II Busa Information 4
B Brocks Full System with any slip on? Busa Mods 1
W 08 hayabusa full system or slip-ons General Bike Related Topics 5
D Two Brothers Full System Exhaust or Slip-Ons??? Gen II Busa Information 4
J D&D Exhaust SLip on's vs. Full system General Bike Related Topics 18
mark_ckr D&D 4:2 full system or D&D slip-ons? General Bike Related Topics 4
O Exhaust Questions (slip-on vs. full system) General Discussion 10
O Yosh Slip-ons VS. Yosh Full System General Discussion 0
T Anybody With a Gen II and Yoshimura R77 Slip-Ons or Full Exhaust?? So-Cal Gatherings 6
S HMF High Mount Slip-on or Full Engine and Performance mods 12
unfair Full exhaust or slip-on? Busa Mods 8
hayabusa99b/w Yoshi Slip-Ons or Muzzy Full Exhaust General Bike Related Topics 34
K Slip-ons or full exhaust General Bike Related Topics 36
J Possible.clutch slip? Busa problems 9
T Gen2 M4 retro slip on Map Engine and Performance mods 0
R Yoshimura R77 Stainless/Carbon Tip Slip-ons Motor and Exhaust 4
HayaWakened WANTED: Single, Used Shorty Slip On Wanted 1
K Yoshimura Exhaust Street R-77 Slip-On SS-CF-CF Motor and Exhaust 1
J Seat Anti-Slip Covers Gen II Busa Information 0
08BusaKY New slip ons. General Bike Related Topics 15
ottafish Dual R77 slip-ons fit a Yoshi 4>1 header Busa Mods 6
Braden Gen2 Yoshimura R77 Dual Slip On Exhaust Motor and Exhaust 35
Jvance22 Slip on's? Maintenance and Do-It-Yourself 37
JINKSTER A word about "Slip-on/Exhaust Tips" (more specifically Coffman's) General Bike Related Topics 19
Tetsuo1000 70hp with flash, filter and slip on! General Bike Related Topics 14
bahopuwet Cheap slip ons General Bike Related Topics 18
justintime2 Which Gen2 4-2 Headers Will Work W/two Bros Slip-on System? Engine and Performance mods 11
M Interchangeable Slip On Fitment Gen II Busa Information 1
kramykram Akrapovic Titanium Slip On Exhaust Busa Mods 4
Ham Looking For Some Slip Ons Gen II Busa Information 17
R Yoshimura R77 Slip Ons Gen II Busa Information 5
sk8snw8s Hayabusa 300 Kit, With Regular Slip On Pipes General Bike Related Topics 0
T Brocks Slip-on Busa problems 0
W Gpr Slip On Exhausts Engine and Performance mods 4
Shane Fiscel BBE Shorty Slip-on's Busa Mods 14
B 1st and 2nd gear slip? General Bike Related Topics 6
A Need a PCV Map- Busa 09' Vance & Hines CSone slip-on & K&N filter Dyno Kings 11
C Yoshimura R77 slip on. Busa Mods 12
A Slip-On Exhaust 2014 & 2015 General Bike Related Topics 5
BadNasty08 Best slip on for performance? Busa Mods 23
ggus70 Slip on Exhaust General Bike Related Topics 17
N 2012 Hayabusa VoooDoo slip on Gen II Busa Information 0
nachaya Yoshimura TRC Stainless Steel Dual Slip-On Exhaust 2011 Suzuki Hayabusa General Bike Related Topics 1
B What is a good slip on exhaust system that will not kill my wallet. 2012 busa Busa Mods 12
cosmic_ocean Making a Custom 'SHORTY' slip on for my Gen-1 Busa Mods 6
TRALL Jardine RT-5 Dual Slip On Exhaust General Bike Related Topics 12
BusaBaker Need help with exhaust - Two Bros Flange Slip On - Gen 1 General Bike Related Topics 4
M Vance and Hines Performance headers with aftermarker slip-ons? Gen II Busa Information 10
W Gen 1 header and exhause slip ons, on a Gen 2? General Bike Related Topics 3