Slide it or brake it until impact?

2hip

Registered
After reading Sessions thread about his worst nightmare of a chic who did the infamous left hand turn I was contemplating his slide on the right side. He injured the back of his leg and bumps and bruises. So here is my questions:
1. On a low speed crash, say less than 30 mph, if a crash is imminent, and there is no zone for escape...what is your experience or reading knowledge of which technique is more favored...lay it down and get off...or brake at maximum capability and ride it all the way to impact?
2. same question but at greater than 30 mph?

I have read different things about this and would be very interested to know if anyone has stayed on the bike and hit the brakes and kept the bike up until impact...at lower speeds what is the outcome of rider going into the car..over?
thanks, 2hip

Brakes on until the end. I'd rather have an impact at 5-10 than slide into it at 30.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think that if your instinct is to 'lay it down' then you must do more threshold braking practice.

I'd rather slid than slam any day! road rash sucks, but not as bad as a broke neck, back, arm, face,etc

I say brake it until the last possible moment...but unless you're actually in the situation, it's hard to say what you're really gonna do.

Brakes for sure, you do not slow down any when you are on the ground sliding,, Brake, Brake ,Brake until impact.

always brake until the end, a slide doesn't slow u or the bike down much if at all, and when your 18 inches high and on the ground you tend to slide underneath things and get ran over....at 8-10 miles an hour you can probably keep your self on the bike and broadside something with out going over the bars....I always ride and look for a way out of any situation...if i have to jump a curb i will, id rather slide in the safe grass then out in the street, my friend died at a drag strip sliding into a guardrail at only 25-30 mph if he would have just ran into it he would be here today, as the guard rail cut him wide open like a tin can

Last edited:
most people that claim "lay it down", lack the skills to do that....what they mean to say is " i locked up the rear brake, until i fell over"

using those big old brakes the factory installed works much better than sliding your ass on the asphalt.

Brakes on until the end. I'd rather have an impact at 5-10 than slide into it at 30.
Posted via Mobile Device

I try an ride it to the end also an try to get my body over on impact.. If it's right at the side try for the window try an do superman head but on the cager no sense in going out alone:laugh:

brake as long as possible, if time allows. the last thing you want to do is slam into an immovable object. statistics show, riders that stay on the bike suffer worse injuries and do more damage to the bike than sliding where possible.

Humm, bucket list-a nice stoppie in front of a few folks:laugh: I'd try my best to loose all the speed possible before impact,but more than likely in the end it's gonna be the stator side as past instinct from bmx,mx,and other experiances :whistle: "I'm a member of the those that 'have' club for almost 25 years now, with several awards during the first 15:thumbsup:

Humm, bucket list-a nice stoppie in front of a few folks:laugh: I'd try my best to loose all the speed possible before impact,but more than likely in the end it's gonna be the stator side as past instinct from bmx,mx,and other experiances :whistle: "I'm a member of the those that 'have' club for almost 25 years now, with several awards during the first 15:thumbsup:

battle wounds???? i'm among the "those that have also", just not on my rocket. nasty 60 mph superman off my quad..... it hurt real, real, REAL bad.

battle wounds???? i'm among the "those that have also", just not on my rocket. nasty 60 mph superman off my quad..... it hurt real, real, REAL bad.

Parked this '86 FJ1200 in a ditch at around 50 or so on a lowside. It was my first brand new bike ever at 17,traded my '77 KZ1000 in on it-big ego,small skills at the time:banghead: Hell, I even had most of my hair back then:rofl: Each time I've gone down, I've always had my gear on???

fj1200.jpg

fj1200.1.jpg

Truwrecks, that is my thinking also...do you have any unwanted experience with this or any of your buddies and the outcome with some details...2hip

Djsin, wow...tx for sharing that info. Somewhere I read that on some of the European autobahns they have guard rails that are designed to be bike crash friendly...what ever that means!!! Very sorry to hear about your bros demise...how aweful way to end on day that should just be kick ass...2hip

Busa1166...I just cracked up over taking the cager out head on....my luck is I would hit pillon and crush all of my cervical vertebrae and end up a gommer in a state hospital making the Q sign...you know, mouth wide open with the tongue hanging out on the side...:laugh: 2hip

never give up...ride it to the end......... now if there was a cliff to fall off of,and the bike was going off anyway ???

Back