SLICKS FOR STREET TIRES?

Mythos

Registered
I've been called crazy for doing it but I just love them and so far, I have found them to be less expensive than Street/Track tires made by the same manufacturers. I have chosen Pirelli Superbike Pros in the past and liked them very well. They are for cold tracks, extended use and without tire warmers. I chose th softest compound.

This time went with Metzler RaceTecs and love them just as much but maybe prefer the sharper profile that Pirelli offers. The Racetecs are also for cold tracks.

Slicks come with a warning to not use them below 45° F ambient temp and do not use them on the street. Cold temps could cause cold tearing. Obviously wet or dusty roads are hazardous without tire sipes. I wouldn't ride in anything but hot weather with these and avoid dusty and wet roads. Those are the only conditions I want to ride in anyway. Slicks are meant to withstand a limited number of heat cycles. The Pirellis held up very well until the rear was used up to the carcass. Do you think I'm nuts for doing this?

I hope you're joking....
Besides the legalities, if you get caught in the rain you'll regret your choice, if you're around to do so.
The best riders in the world can't control a bike on slicks in the wet, you're not nearly as good as they are. I realize you said you'll only ride in certain conditions, but you don't have control of your environment. Let the car in front of you in a turn blow a radiator hose, someone spill a cooler around a blind corner, you can see where I'm going with it. I doubt you'll outride a good set of sport tires, slicks won't be useful. Riding is inherently dangerous, this makes it more so for no benefit.

Last edited:
Totally serious. Never been stopped for slicks. Always check the weather radar before a ride. I did get caught in a light drizzle once. Ride careful and slow if that happens.

You've got lucky so far...there is no way I'd run those on the street but hey, this is why people fought and died for your country, so you can make these sorts of decisions... Hopefully nothing goes seriously wrong and you hurt someone else though.

If you get in a crash and even if it's not your fault, having these on might void your insurance coverage..??? Don't know for sure, just spit-balling.

I've / we've touch on this before ....., out on a hot road , can't see why you wouldn't be glued to the road , and unless really rains , that rubber should mostly be in good contact with bitumen , rather than aquaplaning .....
I would be worried about that heat memory for most people (riders) , and would not recommend because of this .
You obviously find any risks of your choice acceptable , and confident about being able to run the bike in those specific road conditions you mentioned , so enjoy as you like bro , without mirrors as well if I see right !!
Hahahah , you are certainly a bit of a crazy fella , teacher didn't you mention and father of 2 ....just be careful and I hope you safely have a lot of fun .
It does look petty trick in the pics for sure , just be sure to give us some ride impressions to log for reference .

I can't argue with any of the naysayers. I haven't done any clinical tests that prove slicks are as reliable as street tires even under optimum conditions for slicks. The Pirelli Superbike Pros did claim to be made for extended use and repeated heat cycles and cold tracks. I can't think of anything else that would make a difference other than the dust and water channelling property which slicks obviously don't have.

I strongly suspect there is no difference between the composition, carcass and belts in a slick that was designed for cold use and the composition, carcass and belts in a similar street/track tire made by the same manufacturer. For example, the RaceTec slicks are also sold in DOT tires with sipes and your choice of soft, medium or hard compound. Same name, same choices in compounds----I will make the assumption they are the same tire with and without sipes.

without mirrors as well if I see right !!
Oh those stock mirrors are well over a pound, maybe close to two. Great for getting a view of what's behind you but the small bar end mirror I use is sufficient. The bar end weights are over a pound. I have pics of these items on the scale but unfortunately not on this computer.

I like your bike, but I’m hooked on orange. Never tried slicks.
Same here. The B/O 2008 was the best looking busa. ...but they all look great!

It does look petty trick in the pics for sure , just be sure to give us some ride impressions to log for reference .
I look for changes in the road surface any time I have not been on my familiar roads for an extended period of time. For the first ride of the season, I didn't get the chicken strips much smaller than what you see in the pics above. I ran a 45 psi tire pressure f/r because I knew I would be going slow. No need to flatten off the center any more than necessary. The tires gripped perfectly well. I did some hard swerving on the straight stretches as riders sometimes do to heat the tires up. When I got back, the rubber was balling up away from the center. Small balls but definitely balls of rubber rolling out. I'd say they got plenty hot enough on the street even without pushing them exceptionally hard. I'll lower the tire pressure when I get familiar with my new roads and I'm ready to push the tires closer to my limit. My initial impressions are very positive. I do not expect the tires to last long though. Looking at the big picture, it might be safer if they need changing by the end of summer.

I can't argue with any of the naysayers. I haven't done any clinical tests that prove slicks are as reliable as street tires even under optimum conditions for slicks. The Pirelli Superbike Pros did claim to be made for extended use and repeated heat cycles and cold tracks. I can't think of anything else that would make a difference other than the dust and water channelling property which slicks obviously don't have.

I strongly suspect there is no difference between the composition, carcass and belts in a slick that was designed for cold use and the composition, carcass and belts in a similar street/track tire made by the same manufacturer. For example, the RaceTec slicks are also sold in DOT tires with sipes and your choice of soft, medium or hard compound. Same name, same choices in compounds----I will make the assumption they are the same tire with and without sipes.

Oh those stock mirrors are well over a pound, maybe close to two. Great for getting a view of what's behind you but the small bar end mirror I use is sufficient. The bar end weights are over a pound. I have pics of these items on the scale but unfortunately not on this computer.

Same here. The B/O 2008 was the best looking busa. ...but they all look great!

I look for changes in the road surface any time I have not been on my familiar roads for an extended period of time. For the first ride of the season, I didn't get the chicken strips much smaller than what you see in the pics above. I ran a 45 psi tire pressure f/r because I knew I would be going slow. No need to flatten off the center any more than necessary. The tires gripped perfectly well. I did some hard swerving on the straight stretches as riders sometimes do to heat the tires up. When I got back, the rubber was balling up away from the center. Small balls but definitely balls of rubber rolling out. I'd say they got plenty hot enough on the street even without pushing them exceptionally hard. I'll lower the tire pressure when I get familiar with my new roads and I'm ready to push the tires closer to my limit. My initial impressions are very positive. I do not expect the tires to last long though. Looking at the big picture, it might be safer if they need changing by the end of summer.
Fair enough i reckon, go out and enjoy :super: be interesting to see how many miles you do get ;)

I junked my stockers years ago , running lightweight Magical Racing with ti fasteners , pretty good view of everything behind including cops . Good mirrors always part of my ride defense weaponry .
On a different note , I reckon you got the Ohlins fork on the wrong bike of your 2 beast bro ... I remember seeing them on your ZX14 . Are you planning on front rear suspension upgrades for the Busa ?

On a different note , I reckon you got the Ohlins fork on the wrong bike of your 2 beast bro ... I remember seeing them on your ZX14 . Are you planning on front rear suspension upgrades for the Busa ?
:laugh: Yes the 14 has the Ohlins on the front and rear and it needed it a lot more than the busa does. The forks on the ZX-14 were very floaty in a corner. The Ohlins forks have done away with the float but I guess I'm not good enough to justify that. I can't corner any faster now than I could with the floaters which I had gotten used to. The Ohlins are pretty though. The Ohlins forks were just a tad lighter than the stock ZX-14 forks.

The busa suspension is very good IMHO. I also like the dark grey color of the lower tubes with my B/O 08. If I ever upgraded, I think I'd go with internals only.

I got caught having to travel from Syracuse ny to Poughkeepsie, ny in a camaro with 4.56 gears and slicks.... its a hell of a ride when it starts to rain... hell of a ride...….

Back in the day I had a Pinto with a 302, 4.63 gearing, B&M shift kit that would only shift at 6K and once RPM dropped below 3500 it would shift into a lower gear. On wet roads I was going sideways more than going straight.

:laugh: Yes the 14 has the Ohlins on the front and rear and it needed it a lot more than the busa does. The forks on the ZX-14 were very floaty in a corner. The Ohlins forks have done away with the float but I guess I'm not good enough to justify that. I can't corner any faster now than I could with the floaters which I had gotten used to. The Ohlins are pretty though. The Ohlins forks were just a tad lighter than the stock ZX-14 forks.

The busa suspension is very good IMHO. I also like the dark grey color of the lower tubes with my B/O 08. If I ever upgraded, I think I'd go with internals only.
You can get a set of full black body and black carrier in FGRT208 or modify like my spare set that now have custom black carrier . With the 30mm Ohlins cartridge kits , they don't offer one for Busa radial forks , they do make a 30mm cartridge kit for the Gixxer 1K , and I used to run these in my stock bodied Gen 2 fork , before the FGRT208 sets . There maybe some minor mods to adapt though , but can be done .
I do like the fact that you and @Sandow I think.. among others Im sure , have both a Busa and a ZX14 Gen 1 or 2 . The Gen 2 ZX14R really appeals to me , and that machine at the right price ....well I do often check the prices for sure !!
PS. the Black and Orange 2008 is also my very favorite Gen 2 color , hot rod scheme for sure !!

You can get a set of full black body and black carrier in FGRT208 or modify like my spare set that now have custom black carrier . With the 30mm Ohlins cartridge kits , they don't offer one for Busa radial forks , they do make a 30mm cartridge kit for the Gixxer 1K , and I used to run these in my stock bodied Gen 2 fork , before the FGRT208 sets . There maybe some minor mods to adapt though , but can be done .
I do like the fact that you and @Sandow I think.. among others Im sure , have both a Busa and a ZX14 Gen 1 or 2 . The Gen 2 ZX14R really appeals to me , and that machine at the right price ....well I do often check the prices for sure !!
PS. the Black and Orange 2008 is also my very favorite Gen 2 color , hot rod scheme for sure !!
if u wanna go turbo or supercharged(build a hotrod),,,, u could even buy a gen1 or 2 with an already hurt motor since u would be building a motor anyway.... get a great deal that way.

i rode with slicks on my gen 1 for the last few years I had it, and it was always at 320hp or better. There was a period of time after Michelin quit making the pilot 2s that there wasn’t a tire that could cook that amount of power on the street with such long wheelbase. Shinko only had the U softs. Could only manage 300hp and they wore out fast. Switched to the shinko round slick and my problems were solved back to 400hp, and surprisingly they didn’t wear fast at all on the street.

Then I tried an original shinko hook up. Almost crashed when the tire broke the bead on the rim from a dig. Went back to the round slick.

I don’t see them being any more dangerous on the street then any other dot rated tire. Still a radial tire. Only disadvantage is if you get caught in rain obviously. It really wasn’t bad, just stop in downpours, and take it easy in drizzle, watch for standing water.

I got caught in the rain last week on a 300hp turbo bike with a hook up pro. That’s a dot tire with tread, and from what I remember it didn’t seem to be any better or worse then the slick in the rain.

Back