SLICKS FOR STREET TIRES?

You can get a set of full black body and black carrier in FGRT208 or modify like my spare set that now have custom black carrier .
Uh-OH! There go another $4000 someday!!!

I don’t see them being any more dangerous on the street then any other dot rated tire. Still a radial tire. Only disadvantage is if you get caught in rain obviously. It really wasn’t bad, just stop in downpours, and take it easy in drizzle, watch for standing water.

I got caught in the rain last week on a 300hp turbo bike with a hook up pro. That’s a dot tire with tread, and from what I remember it didn’t seem to be any better or worse then the slick in the rain.
Thanks, Boosted. Good to hear positive feedback from someone with more experience and more hp. Day-um....broke the bead! I do plan to turbo one of these days.

Had a buddy running a slick in the rear. Cops were not amused by a non-DOT tire. Gave them an excuse to keep pulling him over until he switched tires.

How cheap are these sets?
I didn't mean they were cheap in the general sense. They are cheaper compared to the DOT equivalent sold by the same manufacturer. Metzler RacetTec RR CompK slick v DOT approved Metzler Racetec RR K. The dif is only about $10 I thin. I would expect the slicks to be a lot more expensive but they are less. None of these are cheap tires. ~$360-$400/set. BT-016s are cheap tires and they are good but Pirellis are friggin awesome and you do pay for it whether you buy DOT or slicks. The slicks are just a bit cheaper, that's all.

Ok so that just seems expensive to me. I think the q3+ are one of the best street tires that you can also grip well on a road course (only from readings on that 2nd part no first hand experience) so why spend more and take the chance on the street with something that wasn't designed for it.

You do what you gotta tho, just my preference for what suits my needs.

Q3+ are usually only that inexpensive when dunlop runs their rebate around april/may and it's like 50/60 off the normal price

I think the q3+ are one of the best street tires that you can also grip well on a road course (only from readings on that 2nd part no first hand experience) so why spend more and take the chance on the street with something that wasn't designed for it.
Like I said, they look COOL! I don't think the DOT approved Super Corsa is any less good than the Superbike Pro slick. Neither one lasts better than the other either. They're the same tire as far as I can tell. Slicks is just SICK and a bit cheaper than their DOT counterpart. Not as cheap as Q3s apparently.

If you get in a crash and even if it's not your fault, having these on might void your insurance coverage..??? Don't know for sure, just spit-balling.
Well, as you know Bumblebee, I did get in a crash, it wasn't my fault and the insurance didn't matter because all I have is liability. That bike is all gone. I don't think tires were a factor in the crash, hitting a deer was the cause. I'm 100% certain the cop noticed the bike had slicks on it but no ticket for that.

Well, as you know Bumblebee, I did get in a crash, it wasn't my fault and the insurance didn't matter because all I have is liability. That bike is all gone. I don't think tires were a factor in the crash, hitting a deer was the cause. I'm 100% certain the cop noticed the bike had slicks on it but no ticket for that.
In that situation it was bike vs deer...I wonder about bike vs car if they will take the bike's condition including tire condition into effect especially if there was an insurance pay off?

A friend of mine was an accident investigator and he would check all sorts of things including tire tread depth.

.I wonder about bike vs car if they will take the bike's condition including tire condition into effect especially if there was an insurance pay off?
I'll bet you're right. I could be on the hook for medical expenses if I injure somebody in a crash with slicks on my bike. Then again, I could be on the same hook if I injure someone while breaking the speed limit. Tires definitely would be an obvious clue though, they're still there after the crash.

I'll bet you're right. I could be on the hook for medical expenses if I injure somebody in a crash with slicks on my bike. Then again, I could be on the same hook if I injure someone while breaking the speed limit. Tires definitely would be an obvious clue though, they're still there after the crash.
I guess it would all depend on how thorough the investigator was/is.....

They can also depict approx speed as well.

200.gif

Back