Sleeved Tattoos... Negative today?

Sleeved Tattoos... Negative Today?

• Total voters
To each their own. Tats use to be somehting unique and had meaning. Now every teenager and their mother has one somewhere (see butterflies, tribal tat/tramp stamp).

Personally, I appreciate tats that have some semblance of true meaning behind them such as their children's names, military vet (USMC, Navy, etc.) or a tribute/memorial to their dead mother, father, brtoher, etc. As opposed to a tat that someone gets because it just looks cool or to fit in or simply to be seen as somebody different.

Many companies will not hire you. It casts a negative first impression with people. Like it or not many people are turned off by tattoos.
The last people you want to ask is people with tattoos. Get one of those tattoo sleeved shirts and wear it for a few weeks and observe people's reaction. Wear the shirt and go apply for a job or just ask people who do hiring for an honest opinion. (Some may not want to answer) Go to small towns and see if you get stared at. If you can live with it, no big deal.

Last edited:
ive got sleeves and never had a problem getting a job, it is somewhat socially acceptable today better than it was when i got mine. people do look at you different though

if you want it, go for it. depending on where your are these days, the tattood out number the tattoo less. BUT i have mine on my chest and back so i dont have to worry about it. lots of canvas there to work with

:whistle: we are already missing one tattoo'd freak on this site....:rofl:

of course that had nothing to do with anything:moon:

Simply put, times are changing and the sleeved tats are everywhere. That is what makes it mild. Go for it! It's the man in the mirror that makes you!!!

Depends on your line of work or aspirations. Sleeves look cool, but they kill your corporate America opportunities. Hell, even the military won't allow them these days (even the Army is tightening up it's standards now that the recession is increasing enlistment numbers).

Now if you're self employed and/or living life just the way you like it and job considerations aren't part of the equation...get the ink if you want it.

Many companies will not hire you. It casts a negative first impression with people. Like it or not many people are turned off by tattoos.
The last people you want to ask is people with tattoos. Get one of those tattoo sleeved shirts and wear it for a few weeks and observe people's reaction. Wear the shirt and go apply for a job or just ask people who do hiring for an honest opinion. (Some may not want to answer) Go to small towns and see if you get stared at. If you can live with it, no big deal.

I did this with panty hose sleeved out and everyone stared and talked about it as I walked by. It'll surely get you some new friends and, well, Like laylas Mom proved, girls like it...

Give me your perspective on tattoos, particularly, sleeved tattoos. Do you believe that sleeved arms carry a negative stigma these days as much as they used to? I've been toying with the idea if getting my arms covered for sometime now and just wanted to get the people's opinion.

Very much still a stigma. If my lawyer, accountant, banker, etc. are sporting sleeve tattoos, I find another provider.

No offense, of course, but it's just the way it is. Not just me, either. Others who I know feel similarly.

--Wag--

Bro, you should go ahead and get the sleeves done!! I have my right arm completly covered and lookin to do my left arm as time and money allow me to. If you switch jobs just look at what their rules are on tattoos. Most companys don't have a problem with them showing as long as they are not offensive. I work for a school district and I just had to keep them covered for the first 90 days and that was it.

Really depends on the job or service you are providing. I used to handle most of the hiring for the company I worked for... If you were sleeved but could actually communicate effectively and politely I had no problem with it... I wouldn't let you work with them exposed though. If you had a poor command of the language and I felt you could not represent a positive image for the company I would have to give you a pass and send you on your way. It also depended on the position you were applying for... So for me it was based more on your education and carriage then the way you would look dressed casually.

Depends on how you present yourself and the type of tattoos you branded with. Yes there are always going to be people/employment that have a dislike for them,but the numbers are dwindling.

My brother has almost full sleeves and rarely(very) gets negative attitude. And we deal with the public every day. even among their own households.

Generally if people interact with you positively to start out with, then getting sleeves won't have much of an impact. :thumbsup:

The only negative I get from my sleeves comes from the self righteous azzhat on this forum.

Really depends on the job or service you are providing. I used to handle most of the hiring for the company I worked for... If you were sleeved but could actually communicate effectively and politely I had no problem with it... I wouldn't let you work with them exposed though. If you had a poor command of the language and I felt you could not represent a positive image for the company I would have to give you a pass and send you on your way. It also depended on the position you were applying for... So for me it was based more on your education and carriage then the way you would look dressed casually.

+1 . It all depends on so many factors. If you are a really valuable asset to your job you can get away with so much more. Other than that i don't think it looks professional on first appearances. That could be the military talking, but i have met very few people with full sleeves i would let deliver pizzas to me let alone trust in a professional envioronment. There are exceptions to the rules though. Personal opinion and thats all it is. You do have to live your own life though and its your decision.

Back