Sleeved Tattoos... Negative today?

Sleeved Tattoos... Negative Today?

• Total voters
As of this post, 82% of those participating in the poll have indicated at least some negative response to the question.

Particularly in the economic times we are in at present, why would any rational, reasonably intelligent person elect to do something that would potentially reduce their economic opportunities? That sounds like someone I'd want to hire to entrust with my customers, money, and reputation.

My advice...go for it! It'll make it easier for me to get hired if I find myself competing against you for a position. :laugh:

There's nothing "wrong" with tatoos, though I don't care for them myself.

You will offend some if you have it, and none if you dont. Forget about most corporate positions.

That will all depend…
Do you want to have it to show it off or for yourself?
I have couple tattoos myself (arms, shoulders). Working as GM limits my options of wearing short sleeve shirt – just does not look professional, besides I look like a convict as my friends say.
Personally, I like tattoos. I got mine because I want to have it. Nowadays I see that Tattoos are more as a statement – I wanna look cool, look I am bad boy kind of thinngs, etc.
If you like it get one, if not don’t. It’s your skin.
that's my 2c

allot of businesses are still old school on this, meaning frowned upon, my work especially, Engineering, if i could get away with them without effecting my job i would go for it

Thanks for all the good, no nonsense responses. The fact is that I have concealed tattoos that are not exposed when wearing a polo shirt. If you look under my collar, you'd see the tattoo the base of my neck....
The fact is that I am not 100% sure that I will be independently employed in the future but my career at this time is not one that demands long sleeves and a tie either. I suppose it all depends on what direction I want to go in terms of any career change. If I did get sleeved tats, they would not protrude beyond my wrists so as to be concealable under a dress shirt.
I am used to people staring at me when I go places because of my height which is constantly being said to make me the "tallest Mexican they've ever seen".
We'll see, I may decide to go down to the elbow and now further for now just to fill out the upper arm which, at this time, to me, seems incomplete.

I'd never hire you as a CEO all tatted over, if that is what you mean.

Tattoos, man... its tough...

Im 26, 160+ hours of tattoo work and I have tattoos on my neck.... legs are fully covered and starting sleeves...by the time im done, ill be covered from my collar bone and down.
But... tattoos arent for everyone.

The number one reason I got mine was for ME...not to show off, not to look cool. but for me and my personal reasons. Youll never catch me in a Tank top (ive never owned one), youll never catch me with a shirt off (even at the pool, i just dont want the attention and youll never catch me showing my work off to other people with tattoos.

You have to ask yourself... could i handle people coming up to me 20 times a day asking the same retarded questions over and over.. does it hurt, how much, where did you get it, what does it mean.... it gets REALLY old, REALLY FAST!!...

picture this, 20 people A DAY coming up to you on your hayabusa asking "is it fast, wanna race, how fast have you gone, how much hp, how much was it, where did you get it?"... that gets annoying...but tattoos are 100 times worse!!!

As for the professional side of things, It really doesn't matter if you have tattoos or not. Tattoos can be covered. You dont wear a tank top of a job interview or to a professional job... Also, do you RALLY want to work for a company who looks at your performance bases on your looks than your job.

Tattoos, man... its tough...

Im 26, 160+ hours of tattoo work and I have tattoos on my neck.... legs are fully covered and starting sleeves...by the time im done, ill be covered from my collar bone and down.
But... tattoos arent for everyone.

The number one reason I got mine was for ME...not to show off, not to look cool. but for me and my personal reasons. Youll never catch me in a Tank top (ive never owned one), youll never catch me with a shirt off (even at the pool, i just dont want the attention and youll never catch me showing my work off to other people with tattoos.

You have to ask yourself... could i handle people coming up to me 20 times a day asking the same retarded questions over and over.. does it hurt, how much, where did you get it, what does it mean.... it gets REALLY old, REALLY FAST!!...

picture this, 20 people A DAY coming up to you on your hayabusa asking "is it fast, wanna race, how fast have you gone, how much hp, how much was it, where did you get it?"... that gets annoying...but tattoos are 100 times worse!!!

As for the professional side of things, It really doesn't matter if you have tattoos or not. Tattoos can be covered. You dont wear a tank top of a job interview or to a professional job... Also, do you RALLY want to work for a company who looks at your performance bases on your looks than your job.

No question about that..

Another reason not to wear t-shirts of tank tops is UV from the sun attacking your ink.
When we start working on the arm with the quarter sleeve we are going to have to go back over that tat. A lot of the color left due to UV damage. My artist tells me that the newer inks are more UV resistant, but I don't want to take the chance with all that cash I've spent.

yes there is still a negative stigma about tattoes.....

but you have to be you, and if it is important to you go for it. you just have to understand that there will be people making judgments about you...based on the way you look...for some of us this is nothing new, for other this could be a new experience.

think about this.....its not what most people think that is important. its about that one guy inertviewing you, or that one client you are trying to get....

or maybe even that one future father in-law that will look those arms and make a judgement about you....

I have sleeves, and I went to Culinary School with them, and worked several fine dining spots in Scottsdale, AZ. I think of them more as conversation pieces personally. And IDC what others think. If people want to judge me because of my tattoos, then I don't need them as friends, employers, or otherwise. Mt tattoos don't define me.

I've never had a problem with people having tattoos. It's a personal choice, of course. Bottom line is, it shouldn't matter if you have tatts or not if you can do the work required of you.

But, what "shouldn't" be doesn't correlate to what "is."

The unfortunate reality is, many many people are offended by and are judgmental of people who have tattoos or radical piercings.

What it boils down to is this, very simply: You limit your options with visible tattoos and piercings.

Yes, it's your choice and yes, go for it if you want. Just don't over react when you suddenly can't get the jobs you want or that you're qualified to have.

My thought is, just make sure you can wear clothes that will cover them up.

--Wag--

I have 14 tattoos. I just got out of the Marines after 14yrs. In the service that's like the norm. I wanted to be a cop but I read that you can't have tats
on your forarm. I'm going to put in my application anyway. I don't regret getting any of my tattoos.
Posted via Mobile Device

I love tattoos and hope to marry a woman with alot of tattoos all over her! To me tattoos is an art form.

A couple of years ago, I was remodeling a building at the beach. I noticed a very attractive girl looking my way, she was 22-23, I was 56, but look younger. She walked across the street and told me she was "very glad" to meet me....I told her I would talk to her after lunch. After lunch, I saw her sitting on her steps. It was getting warm out and she took off her long sleeved shirt. BOTH of her arms were solid tattoos, I almost puked.

I just don't understand why someone would mark themselves up like that, so, I guess they turn me off..............

I voted "dirtbag" even thou I have over 25 old muddy gray jailhouse ones.:whistle: Oops,there goes that hi-powered career. :rofl:

Agree with most:

I dont care for them on women.
I think it will/could hurt a career.
I got some tats for memory/keep sake purposes.
I do enjoy the art of it.
blah blah blah.

People that have known me for a while dont even notice them anymore. Some of the people at work obviously dissaprove...fug 'em...I'm "Union". :rofl:

RSD.

sorry man, i think tats on girls are hot. this is one of the only ones i've found that i don't think will get me banned or warned...
image_1.jpg

Back