Skydive: 1st Use of new GoPro Hero HD! (video)

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Ladies and Gentlemen, my first video shot with the NEW GoPro HERO HD! Received on Friday!

Saturday, 21 November. This video is edited and uploaded via Windows Moviemaker and Youtube, so it has been downgraded several times. To give you idea, Raw file was 524Mb; Converted to .WMV So I could edit with WMM was 123Mb; finished .WMV uploaded to Youtube 61Mb. Yet, here are my observations so far:

1) The image quality is much better (10X) than the previous model. This was shot straight out of the box with all the default settings (appears 960P1280x960 and 30fps is the default)(can't wait to try it at the highest setting 1080p 1920x1080 30fps). Even after downgrading, it's still clearer than most any video I've seen on Youtube. VERY VERY Clear when viewing original file.

2) I LOVE the rechargable battery! No more carrying extra expensive AAA's with you. It's still working and can be charged via USB (including a USB Car Charger if you can find the right type).

3) Instead of .avi, this camera uses .mp4 codec, not native to WMM; I had to find another program to convert to .wmv in order to edit in WMM which means it's been downgraded at least 3X to get to the finished product. Gotta work on that some. Wish it would save in .avi, may mean I have to find something other than WMM to edit with to keep the quality higher.

4) Controls very similar to regular GoPro.

5) I shot a ride video on Sunday. It was low/poor light, and I am not pleased with the quality so I have not edited/posted. Looking for a better ride day to post. May take more light than normal GoPro. This camera does not "black dot" the sun as far as I can tell.

6) This thing is a MEMORY HOG. My 2GB SDHC card lasted only 22 minutes before filling up. That's why a 32GB SDHC (mimimun Class 4 speed) is recommended. I noticed my original video is choppy; I suspect that my card was not a high enough speed to catch all the frames the camera was shooting at it. These memory cards are NOT CHEAP; i've seen them down to $80 and up to $300 for the high-speed ones (more than the cost of the camera).

7) Camera has a RBG output to run straight to a HD TV or DVR but I haven't been able to try it yet to see how good it turns out.

P.S. This was NOT a good skydive (but I was last out so had a blast swooping on the formation - look at my closing speed but note that I burn it all off before docking).

Recommend you go watch this from Youtube in HD mode for the best image quality

Any case, enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy sh-its man, that looked like a perfectly good airplane? Why did you JUMP?

Good thing I wasn't in that bunch. With that many guys it would be like shooting ducks in a barrel. I bet I could take at least six of em out on my way down! :shocked:

Looks like your new camera does a really good job. Nice crisp picture! Have you tried it on your tv to see if the quality is still crisp? If it works for you I may follow suit.

Not yet on TV. To get best playback need to use the RGB cable that came with it and I haven't tried it yet, but I will and will let you know.

Thanks for the Write up. Video looked great.
I seen a note on screen at the minute 34 mark, then the rest of the team dropped like bricks. {faster then you anyway :laugh:} Was it some sore of down draught?

Why do we jump from perfectly good airplanes.... because we can :beerchug:

damn...... almost had ground rush... :laugh:

what was the "funnel" thing? I saw them like dive under and then track away but never heard of the "Funnel"

Thanks for the Write up. Video looked great.
I seen a note on screen at the minute 34 mark, then the rest of the team dropped like bricks. {faster then you anyway :laugh:} Was it some sore of down draught?

Why do we jump from perfectly good airplanes.... because we can :beerchug:

The quote was "Funnel"; what happened was that one jumper slid underneath another and stole his air, that loss of air causes the upper jumper to fall onto the below one and drag some others down with him. Not good as landing on another jumper could hurt someone. The smart person (me) let go before I was dragged into it :thumbsup:

Its hard to not have an extremely cool video when your jumping out of an airplane... The vid turned out great Keith.....

Cap

You can go over the top of someone as long as you don't linger there. Called a "burble hop". Going underneath someone is not usually a good idea and considered bad form. The jumper that went underneath was not paying attention - he's been out of skydiving for awhile but he'll pick it back up.

Back