Skully Helmet Scandal

Ham

Registered
Sorry to hear what happened to skully helmets, really i'm not. I never jump on the band wagon when new tech gear comes out.
But i am sorry for the people that lost there money and for the people stuck with the helmets.

so what happen? I was interested in one as well. did the company go bankrupt or somthn before pre-order helmets were shipped?

I heard they lost the electronics supplier. They got a new one here in the states but at a much higher cost but it was clear things didn't add up. They had someone who was willing to deliver the pre-orders at a lost them but the original guy got a case of ego and walked out. Bottom line is the Skully is a flawed concept. The helmet need only have the HUD and the ear speakers. Then the nav, phone & Bike to bike can be done with Bluetooth connections to other devices. That allows upgrades in all the devices without the helmet becoming obsolete. I think that's where SENA is going with their quiet helmet (looks intriguing). Another thing is there is no need for the HUD. I ride to Nav with voice commands, I never look down at the Garmin. I think the Skully was cool but I didn't order it because bottom line the HUD is a gimmick and it doesn't offer anything more than a $300 S20 and that can move between my two helmets and I can buy the next better one for $250 or so. Obviously, IMHO.

Reactions: Ham
I think BMW is working on a similar concept. Of course they have the cash and infrastructure to do so.

thats interesting. although, I hav to admit I wud ride with much more comfort knowing I cud look behind me and clearly see wat is coming so I wudnt quite say the HUD is useless or a gimmick although I do agree I don't look down at my GPS wen riding either and just go off prompts but IF I cud look safely I surely wud cause sometimes the GPS prompts are a little late (not that I speed or anything.....:rolleyes:).

we almost always look at the screen on our phone while the phone is mounted in the car or we look at our GPS screen in car AND listen while driving but thats because its safe. an HUD wudnt be unsafe as far as GPS goes cause lots of ppl look down at their iPhone mounted on handlebar so again it does have a function and wud b safer then looking down at phone. is it necessary? nope. but almost everything on my bike I've added isn't necessary but it makes riding more enjoyable. knowing my speed instantly without having to look at my speedo wud b pretty kool too.

I did question whether or not it wud b a distraction after a while but I really don't think so and after a while I think most wud feel naked without it after they have grown use to its function. it does look kinda big tho but if its balanced properly it won't matter. I wud also think the speaker will sound better then my Sena do. they kinda sound like poop to be honest. sound good wen I'm at a stop light but once I get goin its far less clear.

I can assure you this is not the last we will see or hear from an HUD helmet. there is still quite a demand for one and I have no doubt many will buy the next one. but dam 3000 ppl at a $1000 each.....yikes thats $3 mill!!!! well, I'm glad I didn't pre-order one cause I contemplated it but didn't for exact reasons like this.

I think the HUD issue is very complicated and will take someone like BMW to figure it out. If you drive a late model car the number of distractions is crazy and I am sure there are accidents being caused by the car distracting people. Fighter pilots have to train to be able to use all of the information the instruments are telling them. They learn what to focus on and when. I have a feeling that the HUD thing is going to really be in the way on the bike, assuming you are riding for pleasure. I sort of think maybe a digital speed, gear and maybe a RPMs overlay would be it. Beyond that it could get overwhelming, especially at night. But you never know. I am also glad I waited, was close to pulling the trigger too.

Back