Sitting in oil or having oil circulating. What's the difference?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
I always hear this and wonder.

'It's been sitting so the gaskets and seals are shot. I wouldnt buy it.'

Whether it's a car or motorcycle what's the difference between a bike that's been sitting for years with oil in it and a bike that's been ridden regularly with normal oil changes? The gaskets for the sitting bike are wet and covered in oil. The gaskets for the ridden bike are wet and covered in oil. The ridden bike the oil moves around, the sitting bike doesn't. It doesnt change the soak/saturation level does it?
So how is it worse for gaskets and seals to sit in oil that's not moving compared to oil that is circulating and hot?

Or is it that gaskets/seals that would normally get wet and coated thru use do not get this from sitting and dry up or rot?

the oil sits in the bottom of the pan so the seals dry out and crack. I would take a 10 year old bike with 50k on the clock before I took one with 500 miles.

Just think of the work that 2000 with 500 miles needs. Fork seals, tires, chain, brake lines, all new fluids. Plus you have to worry about the internal motor that sat for so long without oil in it.

I can understand the fork seals may be dried out or the chain may be stuck/rusted/ or shot but I don't buy a Busa engine is shot cuz it sat for ten years with only 500 clicks on it. Would I just start it up? No. But I may flick the starter a couple times to move things around and loosen them up before I let it come to life. I'd change the oil and filter and just tap the starter to turn it over a few times. Then I'd start it.
If oil is left in it and is still there ten years later as it has sat in a garage do you think the motor is gonna be frozen or will it still turn over as it should?

Like a head gasket, an engine case gasket or other engine seal do you think these are worse off not being run hot and cooled off a thousand times? I always only read folks say things about these things and not bearings, fork seals or chains?

not to mention the gas tank and pum are caked with crap from old gas.

Again that I can understand. It all depends on how much effort goes into properly storing it.
But if you were gonna park your bike or car for ten years would you leave fluids in it or not because your worried the oil pan gasket may start to leak?

Im not saying the motor is shot but its not healthy for the internals do not get oil. It would alway be in the back of my mind while reving up the motor.

its a different story all together if it was properly stored and had the engine fired up once a month but anyone willing to let her sit that long has forgotten all about her. The odds are it was not properly taken care of, sad cux shes sexy.

well, maybe they had the foresight to ride periodically. and take every other precaution regarding proper long term storage. in the end, it still seems to be a case-by-case thing, as opposed to a general rule.

Still take a bike under a cover for ten years in your garage with oil in it.
Yeah you started it but it was so few times you don't remember when or how many.
Checking the chain, crap it's rusted and needs replaced. Checking fork seals, ones leaking and ones stuck in position and a piece ripped off when you pushed up and down on them. But the engine, it's only got 500 miles on it and you've kept her wet with fluids.
Is this a bike you'd be more scared of than one that has been ridden alot and amd may still need same minor repairs?

^^ good points. Not saying its not a good bike, just not for the price they want. It needs work. Now....if it were priced better and stored under a cover in a garge with semi-regular startings it becomes a better deal.

I you start the bike periodically it is actually worse than not starting at all because you are increasing the chances of condensation getting into the motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not good for bearings to sit stationary for years without turning because they will be affected by weight and gravity. I've heard it called flat spotting. In places where heavy equipment is stored they actually pay someone to rotate the moving parts now and again. I might turn a motor that has sat for a long period over by hand vs. bumping the starter, but that's just me. I would be afraid of a 2000 with 500 miles, but I'm not a mechanic either.

I found a 1988 Kaw Vulcan 1500 with only 3500 miles on it. The guy that bought it new died of cancer and his wife just left it in the garage under a tarp for over 15 years. I cleaned it up, replaced the tires , battery, brake lines, plug wires and stock plugs, oil and filter, both air filters, cleaned and flushed hydraulic cylinders for the front and rear brakes and the clutch. I drained the fuel from the tank and rebuilt the carbs. Drained and replaced the oil in the shaft drive unit. I spent about a week polishing the aluminum cases with mothers mag polish. I had to replace a few rusted or missing bolts. The bike runs and drives just like a new bike, I've put about 700 miles on it and have had no problems except the safety switch on the kick stand stuck in the open position and had to be replaced. If I had the choice I would take the bike with only 500 miles on it.

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

The lady also had this old ford tractor that had been in the same place and not started for a lond time also. I wont bore you all with what all I had to replace or rebuild on this old dinosaur. I bushhogged my fields with it yesterday.

DSC_0005-12.jpg

DSC_0007-4.jpg

DSC_0008-6.jpg

DSC_0015-3.jpg

DSC_0029-6.jpg

DSC_0006-5.jpg

DSC_0009-5.jpg

Back