Single topic debates...  i shut one down...

Revlis

Re-Recycled, Busa-Less...
Donating Member
Registered
I recieved this PM from Projekt regarding the locked Abortion Topic.

I did not independently think to post the topic. It was raised in my fly vs bait and hook topic.
No big deal...
I have never initiated a thread that was locked before... You did the honors.. But, seriously, don't you think that the decision was a little rash? Why not let it go a bit and see if people can keep their shirts on.. You should have seen my draft of the initial text, I really tried to make it as unoffensive as possible by eliminating the quack remarks..
Nevertheless its no big deal...

I agree 100%, and I am wrestling with my decision right now in the Moderators Forum.

Frankly clipping that thread SO early felt messed up. But the topic is SO HOT,SO ugly, and SO personal, I just felt it was the right thing to do... It's a Zero sum scenario. No further knowledge or understanding will be gained from the topic...

BUT

Is it MY place to make a decision on WHAT the board members can discuss?
rock.gif
I dunno and I am uncomfortable with it. Hell, I'll Post up this reply, just so folks know that I am not out there clipping threads because it makes me happy.

We'll see, I am all about debates or discussions, but it doesn't always have to be about 1 VS the OTHER. How about 1 AND 2 Moving in a common direction in an attempt to further understanding.

-----------------------------------------------

So there was my response, I posted up for the admins to discuss too...

Thoughts? Taking into account that as a Moderator I am here to fix problems, edit posts, relocate threads and topics, etc... As the CAPTAIN sees fit, not as I personally see fit or as I "LIKE".

Read the thread I started about just this...
I agree 100%...
People get nuts about this subject...
Things would be said that could not be taken back and the damage might have been to severe...

Rev,

Discussing a topic like that would require all of us that posted in the thread to keep a level head. It might allow others to see a different point of view than the one we currently have.

That thread could have gotten way out of hand, but from the few replys there, it did not seem headed that way.

The majority of this board are adults even though we all act like kids sometimes. If you feel it is best to lock and keep it that way, so be it. I have no problems with your decision bro. Dont lose no sleep over it mang!

Project isn't worried about it, I just want it to be clear that I don't run around willy-nilly locking threads or attempting some sort of Thought Conformity on a whim. Well.... At least not beyond Blatant Hootie Hoo's!
wink.gif

I support your decision to lock the topic. I have a strong opinion on it as a Christian Man and it is a debate that causes my feathers to get ruffled. Glad you shut it down!

While I respect both you and Projekt I agree with having shut it down.  Projekt obviously put alot of work into creating a well crafted post and I appreciate that.  If I were a mod, I would have done the same thing.

This is a busa site and the topic had nothing to do with busas nor did it create a warm fuzzy feeling like Monday morning jokes.  

It's a topic best left to Craigslist Rants & Raves.

Now then, back to the bikes please.  I'm having withdrawals because I drove the truck to work today.

<!--EDIT|PandaNin
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156889820 -->

...edited by BiG-T...

Frankly clipping that thread SO early felt messed up.  But the topic is SO HOT,SO ugly, and SO personal, I just felt it was the right thing to do...  It's a Zero sum scenario.  No further knowledge or understanding will be gained from the topic...
You locked it.  No worries.  My observation is how that one was locked but creation vs evolution was not.

You typed "no further knowledge or understandng will be gained from the topic".  That could apply to a lot of topics.  I felt the purpose of Projekt's threads was to post your view and post why your view is your view.  It wasn't to gain some insight into said topic.  I could be mistaken about his intentions.

It is what it is.  It's locked.  Stand by your decision.  As a mod you have to use your own judgement and if you felt it would be over the top then so be it.

Handle your business.

Rev-see PM
smile.gif

I have my own feelings on the subject, as others do-and I'd prefer we all keep them that way.
If folks wana start Discussion Topics-howabout stuff like this?
1-should people under 150lbs./ 5'8" be allowed to ride Busas?
2-should motorcycle riders be listening to anything other than the wind and vehicles around them?
3-should Cycle manufacturers re-gear their bikes so they are incapable of insane speeds? (2-3 gear tranny)
4-should Stunters get somewhere to stunt? (drag racers have tracks, road racers have tracks....?)
5-Should fat guys lose weight before buying crotchrockets so they dont look like they stuck the bike up their a** while they are riding?

those topics are at least a little closer to home with this site and its members-not saying they are good topics tho, just pullin shid outa thin air here, so dont quote me k?

oh-and Rev, how old are ya? "willy nilly" and "hootie hoo"?
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Rev-see PM
smile.gif

I have my own feelings on the subject, as others do-and I'd prefer we all keep them that way.
2-should motorcycle riders be listening to anything other than the wind and vehicles around them?
3-should Cycle manufacturers re-gear their bikes so they are incapable of insane speeds? (2-3 gear tranny)
4-should Stunters get somewhere to stunt? (drag racers have tracks, road racers have tracks....?)
5-Should fat guys lose weight before buying crotchrockets so they dont look like they stuck the bike up their a** while they are riding?

those topics are at least a little closer to home with this site and its members-not saying they are good topics tho, just pullin shid outa thin air here, so dont quote me k?

oh-and Rev, how old are ya?  "willy nilly" and "hootie hoo"?  
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
#5 wouldn't be a crack at me, would it?
rock.gif

post_12_68079_big.jpg

tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
Since everyone is entitled to a opinion, y'all can have mine:

1) They should be allowed to own one. I should allowed to ride it for them.

2) Sure, I love my bluetooth phone connection

3) Ohhhh hecccccccccck no

4) If they pay for it. Racetracks were built by racers for racers. Not with public funds.

5) Nah, I think yamahor should be allowed to continue riding (everyone else needs to visit the gym!)

There. That is your opinion

I think removing the thread was the right thing to do..Although this site is primarily a forum for Hayabusa enthusiasts, I've noticed a wide variety of topics open for discussion..Which is a good thing!!..I enjoy the variety... However, given the highly sensitive nature of the topic, I think it's a good idea to keep it off the boards....

C'mon.. Look at that $%^#%*& Evolution thread.. Page 10!!! You guys are killing me... !!
smile.gif

I think removing the thread was the right thing to do..Although this site is primarily a forum for Hayabusa enthusiasts, I've noticed a wide variety of topics open for discussion..Which is a good thing!!..I enjoy the variety... However, given the highly sensitive nature of the topic, I think it's a good idea to keep it off the boards....

C'mon.. Look at that $%^#%*& Evolution thread.. Page 10!!! You guys are killing me... !!    
smile.gif
+1

That was the right move, Keith. Wrong place.

Rev-see PM
smile.gif

tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
#5 wouldn't be a crack at me, would it?
rock.gif
I wnat to see chris farley doin the fat man on a little bike skit in that picture. if that is you, sorry, no real harm intended

Stick to your guns partner.. The more I think about it the more I realize the severity of possible contributions by our Mature yet spirited members. Also, I don't own the concept of the single topic debate, it is for all like minded members here to use. Having said that i merely ask a courtesy of those wishing to post debates. Please follow the existing sequence or PM me and I will post it with the correct serial number.... We are at #9 with Chinese population control. Anybody want to volunteer number 10?
Also, we are here due to a common interest, the mighty Hayabusa. We don't only think of that topic in our lives so Random Thoughts was created for those of us needing other forms of intellectual digest. We have a great body of members here from all walks of life. Mechanics, Doctors, Conduits of the Lord... Surely, they are worthy of bouncing a question off of now and then.

Back