Single topic debate #9

Projekt

Registered
Okay, a little further from home this time but controversial regardless.
We examine the merits and pitfalls of the People's Republic of China's birth limit.
Their national population exceeded 1,000,000,000 potential sneaker and electronics assemblers some time ago.
Their government declared a limit of ONE child to a couple. Many families have adhered to this policy with the blind dedication of a good Communist citizen.
There are rumors that many couples dispose of Females and support male children so as to increase the odds of a more secure financial future.  
I do not condone this practice as in my opinion it is the ultimate expression of human civil liberty repression.
When is it okay to tell human beings they cannot have as large a family as they can support? Never. The laws of nature dictate this rule and not some kind of Quasi capitalist_totalitarian regime.

Dood China is going through major reforms right now... Has been for awhile... Civil rights is still a little off but by and large they are getting their stuff together...

Probably off topic but it IS related. I wish all babies born in the US were rendered unable to reproduce in such a manner that can be reversed after passing a competency / intelligence test. That would solve a LOT of social / financial problems! Only problem is who would make the test?!?

Responding to the topic you raised I can see the logic in it and I can also see why it is wrong. BUT what we must take into account it that China is under communist rule and the freedoms and civil liberties we enjoy do not apply to that population of people.
As far as killing the girls to have boys ... no matter how you cut that it is just plain wrong! and YES, it does happen.

Probably off topic but it IS related. I wish all babies born in the US were rendered unable to reproduce in such a manner that can be reversed after passing a competency / intelligence test. That would solve a LOT of social / financial problems! Only problem is who would make the test?!?
Moose,
You and I are cut from the same tree. I think of this and feel that it is exactly what the world could use to end suffering.
Kind of like the Japanese... If you don't have a parking spot, you can't buy a car. Yes, it is not cool to use this metaphor against a topic of life but, the logic is there..
Also, I think the Chinese could do worse because they pale in comparison to Joseph Stalin's tactics of mass-murder.

Responding to the topic you raised I can see the logic in it and I can also see why it is wrong. BUT what we must take into account it that China is under communist rule and the freedoms and civil liberties we enjoy do not apply to that population of people.
As far as killing the girls to have boys ... no matter how you cut that it is just plain wrong! and YES, it does happen.
that would just create a giant sausage fest. Wheres the fun in that.

Well it will probably lead to the first communist country legalizing gay marriage... Or maybe they will just import a lot of foreign women.

I, for one, support it. Overpopulation is never a good thing, and unlike other species, natural causes don't do a good job of thinning the human population. The whole 'civilization' thing means humans protect those who would otherwise die off. Result: overpopulation. The only thing that can stop the out-of-control population boom is other humans. It's a proven fact that people aren't going to stop breeding just because they run out of resources to support their offspring. Government mandates might be the only way to put a curb on it if people aren't responsible enough to do it on their own. This is certainly a much more humane way of dealing with it than lining people up and shooting them to thin the population.

Thats what wars are for!! Population control, sooner or later china will need more land or resources and the only way to get it will be to try and invade another country. Thats when the population control will kick in, but they will already have a huge advantage in numbers.

Back