Single topic debate #14

Projekt

Registered
I am all for stem cell research. The right doesn't want to allow it because of it's conservative constituents. Humanity can reach a quantum leap in evolution if we tap into the potential of STEM cell research....And cloning!

Disease eradication and longevity of life is the primary benefit I see in stem cell research. My wife's congenital problems could likely be solved in a heartbeat if stem cell research were allowed to progress. Speaking of heartbeats, cloning and/or stem cell research could grow replacement hearts, lungs, valves, kidneys, bones, etc. etc. and cure many diseases. Diabetes comes to mind. Thyroidal problems just to name another.

We had the same resistance from "the right" when the first test tube babies were being created. 30+ years ago. Now, there are many many people who are able to have kids ONLY because of this extremely valuable technology.

Ultra convervative fundamentalism has stood in the way of progress for many hundreds of years. I'm hoping this technological advancement in knowledge will break free also. To be fair, I have to say that caution is very much in order but that doesn't mean we need to simply abandon the project because it has it's share of risks.

Another perspective is show in the movie, "The Island" which was released a couple of summers ago. Very thought provoking at the very least.

--Wag--

I want to be cloned...

I need to ride with someone who shares the same interests and "skill" limitations

I need to play tennis with someone who is on my same skill level

I need to work alternate jobs on alternate weeks just to stay interested... Bike Mechanic one week and Systems Engineer the next

I need an alibi when I go speeding..."couldnt have been me officer - I was at work all day!!"

I need to last through an entire night's lovemaking with the blonde from the reunion party...

I need to surprise a chick by saying bye at the airport and being at her destination to keep her company
smile.gif

Hmmm...

Bring on cloning!!
cool.gif

Cloning is a topic that rates right there with abortion.

There could be alot of problems arise from Humans making humans and alot of benefits.? I walk both lines on this one.
What happens if we clone people who can develop new diseases that regular humans cant fight off and die in 28 days.
What about just making organs not full people??

I am all for stem cell research. The right doesn't want to allow it because of it's conservative constituents. Humanity can reach a quantum leap in evolution if we tap into the potential of STEM cell research....And cloning!
Figured you would start this after reading my response in the other debate.

Against it btw. Its scientists trying to play God

<!--EDIT|Black Bird Killer
Reason for Edit: None given...|1157319585 -->

I banked my son's stem cells in the hopes that if he or his brother, other family members, ever need them for leukemia or other childhood cancers, I'll have that insurance policy...

That type of research is in it's infancy and there's so much to learn and benefit from...too bad it's such a hot button when what I did by having them harvested after the birth of my son is far from controversial...

The world is overpopulated as it is and you want to increase the lifespan of everyone?

We are gonna need a second planet.
laugh.gif

(FastCurrey @ Sep. 06 2006,18:53) The world is overpopulated as it is and you want to increase the lifespan of everyone?

laugh.gif
We'll have the middle-east once they annihilate themselves
ghostface.gif

That should take care of oil and space requirements.

(BlueHaya @ Sep. 03 2006,14:00) What about just making organs not full people??
This is exactly where the limit should be set. Organs and or subsystems of the Human being but not and entire conscious human. I believe that this is the real objective of the science. However, you always have the risk of abusing the techology for the purpose of creating a super army of the most proven warrior's genetics. Wouldn't that be grand?

(Black Bird Killer @ Sep. 03 2006,14:36)
(--Projekt @ Sep. 03 2006,15:45) I am all for stem cell research. The right doesn't want to allow it because of it's conservative constituents. Humanity can reach a quantum leap in evolution if we tap into the potential of STEM cell research....And cloning!
Figured you would start this after reading my response in the other debate.

Against it btw.  Its scientists trying to play God
Props to you BBK for the seed of thought. Yes I did take the idea from one of your replys. Oh and don't be afraid to post your own debates... Thanks

(VaBusa @ Sep. 06 2006,11:21) I banked my son's stem cells in the hopes that if he or his brother, other family members, ever need them for leukemia or other childhood cancers, I'll have that insurance policy...

That type of research is in it's infancy and there's so much to learn and benefit from...too bad it's such a hot button when what I did by having them harvested after the birth of my son is far from controversial...
That is the best college fund you could have ever started for your children. Good on you girl...

Cloning is a long long long way off despite what the news media likes to claim.

It's a very dangerous policy to restrict scientific research, both medically and economically.

(gsferrari @ Sep. 06 2006,20:12)
(FastCurrey @ Sep. 06 2006,18:53) The world is overpopulated as it is and you want to increase the lifespan of everyone?

laugh.gif
We'll have the middle-east once they annihilate themselves  
ghostface.gif

That should take care of oil and space requirements.
Yes, true, but they will do it with our help and probably our weapons technology...

(shortBoarder @ Sep. 06 2006,21:13) Cloning is a long long long way off despite what the news media likes to claim.

It's a very dangerous policy to restrict scientific research, both medically and economically.
Exactly, well put brother....

Think about how far behind the western civilizations were due to repression of techology by the conservative right... Then look at China's various dynastic advancements and discoveries. Accupuncture, advanced homeopathic medicinal understanding, and ballistic powder. Pre-Colombian America's societies performed brain surgeries thousands of years ago. And, why, are we left with Michael Angelo's mapping of human physiology just hundreds of years ago?
Just because some priest denied it?
Come on everybody else, Playing God? Really? That is a bunch of dookie. Just because we are in an age that the belief in one God overshadows our technology and biology / biotech aspirations doesn't mean we should allow it to prevent future advances.

I am for both in a controlled fashion. Especially stem cell research. Cloning would need to have some serious safeguards built in to ensure that there is no abuse. I have no problem with Scientists playing God to a certain degree... God would not have allowed us to evolve with our intellect and opposable thumbs if we were not expected to use the gifts we were given.

I am less scared by Cloning and stem cell research than I am of all of the germ/bacteria research that goes on... All it takes is one yahoo with an advanced degree to kill us all... Just imagine if Ted Kazinsky was a microbiologist instead of a Mathmaticain (not my original thought I heard it on TV)...

I am not religous but I have a deep belief in God and what is right and wrong... BUT I don't think my belief in a higher power should stop anyone from having a lung or a heart cloned or a other wise incurable disease cured by stem cell research.

(shortBoarder @ Sep. 07 2006,00:13) Cloning is a long long long way off despite what the news media likes to claim.

It's not a long way off; Dolly was indeed real and cloning is completely possible, just perhaps not plausible given all the bad that can come from that type of medical technology...

I don't mind cloning of parts; cloning an entire being is an incredibly touchy subject and will remain so for years to come. One of my good friends worked for that company that cloned Dolly years back; she felt first hand the controversy even from family members that felt it was against everything they believed...it was a tough field to be a part of, yet she said it was very interesting and challenging...

Stem cell research has already saved the lives of children, so I can't imagine the downside if there's a feasible and non-controversial method of harvesting the cells, i.e. via cord blood. We even have cord blood banks that are banking the stem cells for those that may benefit from it, not just those like myself that opted to have it banked for my own children...I can't see a downside to that technology...

they now have the ability to create stem cells without harvesting...so on with the reasearch...damn the negativity...and by the way god....we can do it better now thanks we will take over....(just a food for thought)

(chrisjp @ Sep. 07 2006,13:30) they now have the ability to create stem cells without harvesting...so on with the reasearch...damn the negativity...and by the way god....we can do it better now thanks we will take over....(just a food for thought)
Not sure if that's a jab at the science or if you're just being very "tongue-in-cheek", but for those that struggle with the religious aspects, why not just run with the idea that "God gave man the ability to do good with science" and hope that is indeed what man does with it...

Food for thought...
smile.gif

Back